Sunday 27 March 2011

Flex-shaft Kits - rotary tool accessories, rotary tools


I am a new customer to Milescraft. I am also very happy with my decision to buy outside the Dremel-brand. As a long time Dremel-brand user, I finally switched to the Black and Decker RTX with rave results. I decided if there was this much of a huge quality difference in there tools, then I should try other brands accessories. I went on a limb and purchaced this shaft to replace my broken dremel-brand flex-shaft. I am also very happy in doing so. The dremel-brand has a louder operating noise and starts to bind at less of an angle. I also like the quick way you and replace tips on the Milescraft flex shaft.



You will be happy. Milescraft 1003 Flex Shaft for Rotary Tools

I have been searching all over for a flex shaft for the Black & Decker RTX rotary tool that I purchased. Based on the reviews for the Milescraft 1003, I figured I would give it a shot, it's only $19.99, right?! It was a GREAT purchase and has been working out perfect for my needs.



For other jewelry designers out there looking for a cheaper option than a Foredom, the B&D RTX rotary tool works great with this Milescraft 1003 flex shaft and fits just fine. Even on low speed, I am able to polish and smooth out burs easily.



I also purchased the Milescraft support arm to hang the rotary tool on, you really do need a support arm to get full use of your rotary tool.



I took the advice of another reviewer and purchased the 4485 Dremel tool Collet Nut Kit, as well as the Dremel bit set which ranges from 1/32" to 1/8". If you need to drill small holes into your jewelry pieces, this is the way to go. The Dremel 4485 collet set is fully compatible with the Milescraft flexshaft. I purchased both the collet and bit set at Lowe's and WalMart.

This is a great solid product for the money. I bought it as a shortcut to one of the hanging foot pedal operated numbers, but unfortunately, my cheap dremel clone doesn't have the power to run it. Make sure you're using a rotary tool with enough guts.

While it looks like its going to be the knock-off of the Dremel version, it is not. It has a couple of short comings over the Dremel.



1st its design does not allow for the use of the mini keyless chuck than used to come standard on the old Dremel tools and can still be ordered if you don't want to use the collets. I cut about 3/4" off the end to expose enough threads to use the keyless chuck.



2nd the interface between the flex shaft and the Dremel tool, while looks like it is the same as the Dremel one it isn't. Instead of mounting firmily to the tool, it simply gets chucked in and the interface area is exposed and not attached.



The method loosening the collet/chuck on the tool is nice because you don't a 2nd tool other than the collet wrench. And the overall quality of feel for the price is good.



While I'm keeping mine because all in all, it's not a bad tool. If I had do do it again I'd spend a few bucks more and get the Dremel.

Works "okay" but I have had and used better. I was using it to clean some small parts and re-shape a few plastic components for a chainsaw manifold. The part with the spring next to the tool gets really hot and actually burned my fingers to a point of blisters. It also started to melt the insulation that goes into the hand-held pat of the tool. Other than that, it works pretty good. Make sure you wear a thick glove when using it to prevent burns!

I read a few bad reviews of this product and should have listened. So much for bargain shopping.



I was concerned about using this with my RotoZip (30,000 RPM) so I called the manufacturer. They assured me that the product would do fine at this speed. So, I bought one.



The packaging was very clear about not over-bending the shaft, so I set up a straight line from my RotoZip.

Performance prior to the "implosion" was adequate; controllable but not particularly smooth.



After about 5 minutes' use and with about a half-second's warning, the shaft ate itself, breaking its attaching driveshaft, ripping out of the shaft sheathing, and obviously coming to an abrupt and final stop.



Attempting to examine the housing (near the shaft attachment point,) I burned my fingers from the built-up heat. I then noticed that the paint on the housing had blistered/peeled from the heat. Maybe there was a failed bearing in that part of the unit; I haven't been back downstairs.



I don't know if I received bad advice from the manufacturer or what, but I will be contacting them for resolution.

Simply you pay 20 dollars for something that would cost 40 in the store near you. I bought this shaft for using with my 39 dollars Black & Decker RTX-B 3 Speed RTX Rotary Tool. It is a little expensive, consider adding extra 10 dollars will give me another BDRT, but I think the price is pretty good anyway.



It works fine, but I did notice that a little power is scarified using this shaft. It worth the effort and the money anyway: much light weighted, much more control, much less hassle, much less vibration and extra. The built quality is also pretty good in my hand.



PS. This shaft will work on almost all rotary tools that has 1/8" hole in them.

This Flex Shaft is perfect for all the reasons you'd expect it to be. Because it mounts in the chuck on your rotary tool, it fits all makes and models of rotary tools - several of which I own. The most popular (and most expensive)requires a proprietary model costing three times as much. I bought this product as a replacement for one of those proprietary models, which broke after a few years of average service. Besides its low price and adaptability, the 'pull-back' chuck allows you to quickly and easily change bits without any tools.



With the Milescraft Flex Shaft, you'll save a few bucks, and get a tool that provides you all the reach and flexibility you need. - Rotary Tool - Dremel - Rotary Tool Accessories - Rotary Tools'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information