Wednesday 30 March 2011

Router Lift - router accessories, woodworking


I purchased this base to use in the Bosch laminate router table Bosch RA1171 Laminate Router Table. It works great, it is easy to mount to the plate of the table, and the above table access is easy to use.



I did run into one minor gremlin. The threaded post that drives the lift function has a small metal locking clip at the bottom of the post. This clip is what holds the post in place vertically. When it is hung from the table, this clip is what is holding up the weight of the router when you have the main lock undone and are screwing the router up or down.



My clip kept sliding down the post, so that the lift basically became useless. I could see where the clip was basically turning itself down on the shaft.



My work around was to purchase a cheap set of drill stop collars. The 1/4" collar, mounted on the post with a set screw is far sturdier and kept things in place.



Overall, other than this one issue, I really love the unit and it's going to be really handy having an extra base that I can leave mounted all the time.



PLEASE NOTE - One thing that wasn't clear in my reading is that this base is basically the same one that comes with the Bosch 2.25hp router as the fixed base (when you get the fixed / plunge base combo) Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25-HP Combination Plunge & Fixed-Base Router Pack, the only difference is that it does not have a plastic plate at the bottom. So if you're struggling to pay for the router and table, you could use the base that comes with the router, then add this one later and use it as your fixed base. Just a thought to the cheap! Bosch RA1165 Under-Table Router Base with Above-Table Hex Key

I'm very pleased with this router base, which I attached to a great router table insert I picked up elsewhere for cheap. It allows me to use the fixed base that came with the router for everyday routing jobs without removing it from the router table (this gets tedious). Additionally, the above-table adjustment is handy.



Note, though, that you still need to reach under the table to lock and unlock the router for adjustment, so it's not a substitute for a router lift (that would have made it five stars in my book). Still, I consider it a good purchase--it's almost as good as having another router!

I was in need of a under table mount for my Bosch EVS1617 router and stumbled on this at Amazon. Was planning on using a regular base but this one filled the bill for what I needed. It is mounted to the extension of my table saw table on the right side. It is of the same quality as the original base that was broken when it accidentlly fell off my work table. The only thing I would considera as substandard is the hex wrench. The handle part is far too soft and will bend at the drop of the hat. Not a real problem as I usually reach under the table and adjust the bit from below, you have to unlatch the router by hand anyway. I am using a Jessum router plate in the table and had to drill a small hole in it for the hex wrench. It was a good buy and would go the same rout again

The Bosch RA1165 Undertable Router Base is a real time saver. It is easy to adjust from above the table and because it does not have the handles on it, it is easier to lift out of the router table for bit changes. I just completed two raised panel doors using this base and it was a pleasure to not have to get under the table to adjust the router bit height. If you don't have the luxury of owning a second router, this base is the next best thing.

Even if you don't own the Bosch router table (and are using another brand), the RA1165 under-table base with hex key is a must. It can take 10-15 minutes to bolt/unbolt a fixed router base to the underside of a router table and you're constantly worrying about alignment and keeping the base square to the table (especially after you wear the threads on the machine bolts from repeated change-outs). It's a simple install and once it's there you're good to go. And the hex key makes vertical adjustments a snap -- just make sure the table you're using (if it's not a Bosch router table) has provisions for using the key.

I have a Bosch 1617EVSPK kit that came with one of these bases, and a plunge base. I also have a router table and mounted the base fixed base to it, thinking that I could use the plunge base for ALL of my other work. Wrong! Somtimes you realy need the fixed base, its smaller, and much easer to use with templates. After removing it from the router table to use as a hand held one too many times, I decided to just buy a fixed base router for the table, when I found this......now all I have to do is slip it into the fixture I need, (router table, fixed base, or plunge base) and away I go.

Very disappointed with Bosch for designing a system of attachments that don't work together. I purchased a RA1165 base to mount under a RA1181 table. Then purchased a RA1172AT Dust Extraction Hood Kit ... with the intention to mount the dust extractor hood to the base, using the adapter to bring the hose size to 2 1/2 inches. You can attach the dust hood to the base, but the outlet points at an angle towards the FRONT of the router table. It is not possible to attach the VAC020 adapter to the dust hood and angle the hose so it exits the rear. There simply is no clearance. I should have returned the entire system, but decided to try to solve the problem. The 1 1/2 inch port size of the dust hood required the purchase of a POOL vacuum hose that is flexible enough to turn nearly 180 degrees beneath the table and exit the rear. There I used the VAC02020 adapter to attach it to a 2 1/2 inch Y.



BTW, here's is Bosch's response: "Thank you for writing. The RA1172AT is for use with the fixed and plunge bases included with the 1617 and 1618 routers. The hood is not designed for use with the RA1165 base. A 2-1/2" hose can be connected on the top side of the router table directly to the dust chamber the router bits sits in for dust collection on the router table."



So Bosch designed an under-table base that doesn't support Dust extraction, EVEN THOUGH you can physically attach the dust hood to the base!



If this sounds complicated, it is. And it's a direct result of poor design by Bosch. The under-table base should be aligned to port to the rear (like the router fence dust port). The under table dust hood should be 2 1/2 inches (like the fence). And there should be ample clearance for a hose to exit.



I am going to post this exact review to all my reviews of the various components I purchased. - Router Accessories - Router Lift - Woodworking - Bosch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information