Sunday 25 September 2011

Data Cables - data cables, droid


This is a generic 'Type A to Micro B' USB cable and it's in no way Blackberry specific but, YES, it WILL work with a BB Bold or Storm. I needed one of these to connect one camera to the computer because I lost the original when someone 'found' my camera case. It works.



On this specific cable, everything is done right, including the price. It is USB 2.0 certified, meaning that it supports data transfer rates of up to 480Mbps and, if your device accepts a Micro-B plug, this is the cable to get. Maybe the 2-meter length (6+ ft.) is a little bit too much but it does not bother me a lot and there may come a time when a cable this long may come in handy.



I am awarding this item 5 stars for price, quality and, especially, for the very good presentation on Amazon's page.



______________________________________________



Notes:



Anyone in the market for a USB cable should be very careful because there are at least 6 kinds of USB connectors. If you are buying a cable that connects 'something' to your computer or laptop, the computer end of the cable will always be a USB-A or 'Type A' connector. At the other end, you may have a USB-B/Type B - a nearly square shaped connector used mostly to deliver power to a device but this is rare. Most likely, you will have a Mini-B or a Micro-B. The difference between the 2 is that the Micro-B is half as thick while the width is the same - Mini-B is 3x7mm while Micro-B is 1.5x7mm.



If your device (phone, PDA, camera) is a 'new' one and it's using USB, chances are that they will need a Micro-B connector because the industry seems to be adopting the 'Micro' form factor as its standard. If the above sounds simple, you should keep in mind that some devices require Mini-AB or Micro-AB connectors, also known as USB OTG (OnTheGo) devices.



My advice: before ordering any cable, make sure that you clearly understand what type of cable you need. This Amazon listing and most Cables Unlimited listings are most helpful because the Amazon page gives you a visual of what the connectors look like. Whenever in doubt, do some more research. BlackBerry USB DataSync and Charging Cable with Micro USB for BlackBerry 8900, 9500, and 8220

I bought 2 of these for my Palm pre as a spare to go with a generic car usb charger and one for my desk at work. They are great - the short length is great if your USB port stays within arm's reach. Don't pay cell phone accessory store prices, this is where it's at =)



The micro USB should not be confused with a 'mini-USB' size... mini tends to work with other small electronics like GPS, but micro is for most newer cell phones - LG, BlackBerry, Palm, etc. Tested this cable as a charger with coworker's BlackBerry and another's LG EnV, worked fine for them. Didn't check data transfer on those, but my Pre transfers just fine.

This cable works perfectly with the LG Chocolate Touch and the HTC Droid Incredible. I expected something thin and chintzy, but was pleasantly surprised when the cable turned out to be quite thick.



This is a 1-meter cable (~3 ft), not 2 meters as described in another review.

Like every other reviewer had said this is just a standard USB (the end that goes in your computer) to micro USB (the end that goes in your phone [or maybe camera]) cable. The only thing "Blackberry" about it is that it has their logo on one side of the plug. Simple cable that's not too long and charges my phone just right for a great price. That's all you'll ever need to know.

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I just want to say that I knew full well what I was getting myself into. Namely, that some have used it for Blackberries. That being said, I decided that a couple of bucks was nothing much to lose with my experiment. On a Samsung Intercept, you'll notice that the micro usb area on the phone is covered by what seems like a flimsy tied on piece of rubber that folds down flat when not using the plug. When you try to push the micro usb charger or sync plug into the phone, it is a very tight fit and really can't be done (by me) in full dark. I always have to use a separate light source to accomplish my goal, but I risk waking up my hubby when I do that. Also, it has a short cord, which is great if you don't need a long one. I've also gotta say that the cable is really thick so it isn't forgiving and doesn't want to lay flat.



Despite all that, I do recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg for these. They do the job. - Droid - Usb Cable - Usb - Data Cables'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • data cables
  • ,
  • usb
  • ,
  • usb cable
  • ,
  • droid