Monday 26 September 2011

Illuminated Keyboard - keyboard, cordless keyboard


Picked up one of these yesterday and so far I'm loving it. It's quiet, the key feel isn't bad, the key layout is good (like the enlarged Delete key), and some of the special keys (like the volume control) work even though I haven't bothered to install HP's software (yet, anyhow).



Wireless range is sufficient for my needs. The little USB fob plugged right into my existing USB hub and was recognized by my system instantly without having to load any drivers. Neat!



I love the look of the keyboard, and it's very small without a ton of useless plastic around the edges - just a narrow border about half an inch wide. I was using an older wired USB Apple keyboard with my PC before this - one with white keys and a transparent body - which I chose because it didn't waste a ton of desk space. I'm not sure why manufacturers feel they have to surround their keyboards with an idiotic ocean of useless plastic. Until now, Apple seemed to be one of the few manufacturers who realized that it's not only unnecessary, but also really ugly.



I was never entirely happy with the key feel of the Apple though, and it collected dirt (and cat hair) like nobody's business. And I wanted a wireless keyboard so I could remove it from the desk entirely when I needed the space. This keyboard isn't much larger (same width, about an inch deeper), but doesn't suffer from the same . . . hygiene issues, and the keyfeel is much better.



According to everything I've read the batteries (which it comes with a set of already installed) should last for about a year, at which time I'll probably replace them with rechargeables.



It's a little spendy, and it isn't quite as space-saving as Apple's old design, but given its looks and performance I'd recommend it. HP Wireless Elite Keyboard

HP Wireless Elite Keyboard





I needed a modern keyboard to replace the archaic Win95 PS/2 version that I had been using since 1996. I wanted a portable, wireless keyboard with a small footprint. Essentially, that means no wrist pad. Also, I did NOT want a bloated keyboard with a bunch of gimmicky buttons. Finally, I wanted to keep a reasonable budget --- I did not want to break the bank for a simple keyboard. Seems simple enough... but it took me *months* to find one that matched all my criteria. In the end, the HP Elite was my only option. There were no other viable alternatives.



For the most part, the keyboard meets (but does not exceed) my expectations. It's everything the photos show you, and everything the specs sheet say. Nothing more, nothing less.



The keyboard is incredibly slim and lightweight. It's not intrusive, and feels nice to have on your lap while typing. It also has an excellent range --- the signal remains strong even when I'm several yards away. This would've made for an excellent HTPC keyboard, except it lacks the all-important thumb pad.



Speaking of thumb pads, the HP Elite feels very much like a laptop keyboard. It's very quiet, and each keystroke doesn't travel very far. There are dedicated buttons for volume, and also one for sleep. There F1-F11 buttons can double as multimedia buttons when used in conjunction with the Fn (Function) button. I like the minimalist design, even though I was a bit disappointed by the lack of zoom buttons.



There's no need for a wired receiver cluttering your desktop; all the keyboard requires is a little USB dongle plugged into the PC. The dongle has a blue LED that lights up with every keystroke registered. The LED is ridiculously bright, and can be quite annoying if you're working in a darkened room.



There is no indicator at all for the status of your CAPS and NUM locks. It doesn't bother me, although it might bug some people.



My only real complaint with the keyboard is its build quality. It is simply ATROCIOUS. The keyboard is essentially assembled from four panels: Top, Bottom, Left, and Right. The top & bottom are rock solid. The keys themselves feel great. But the side panels? Ugh!!! They feel ridiculously cheap. And you have to touch these panels whenever you grab the wireless keyboard. They are not even completely fastened into the chassis; the slightest contact with your fingers will cause these panels to jiggle. Waaay too much wiggle room in these sections. If you grab the keyboard by the sides, you will hear the side panels move, rattle, and/or squeak. Just awful, AWFUL construction --- this feels very much like one of those cheap OEM accessories that come free with low-end DELL and HP systems. When I first saw the keyboard on display at Fry's, I noticed one of the side panels was missing. I naïvely thought it was just a fluke accident; now I know that wasn't the case.



Despite the poor build quality, I remain more or less pleased with the keyboard. Functionally, it has met all my expectations. And it's not like there are viable alternatives out there that meets all my criteria. Definitely a big change from the bulky Win95 keyboard I had been using since 1996. They don't make 'em like they used to, though. That old keyboard stayed with me for 13 long years. I don't think this HP keyboard will last half as long, Given its flimsy construction, I would be surprised if this thing even lasted 3 years.



I give it 3 stars out of 5. - Keyboard - Hp - Elite - Cordless Keyboard'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information