Saturday 27 February 2010

Firex 120-1072b Replacement - smoke alarms, home safety


My home was built in 2001, and it was equipped with Firex 120-1072B units in each room wired for interconnectivity. One of my units began to sound randomly even when there was no fire. I tried changing the battery, but I still had the same results. So after searching online, I found that the Kidde i4618 is the current replacement model.



After purchasing the model, I was hoping that I could use an adapter between the wiring in my Firex unit and the Kidde. However, I found that I was mistaken in what I thought I had read. I am about as unhandy a man as they come, and I really wasn't looking forward to rewiring for the new unit. The hardest part of the process turned out finding the correct breaker as mine are not labeled. At least for my house (please know that yours may well be different), the smoke detectors were on a dedicated breaker. Once I found it and switched it off, it was very easy from there. I removed the two screws from the bracket of the Firex unit and then uncapped the wires. The Firex wires were easy to remove. I rewired black, white, and red as indicated and put the yellow caps back on to cover the wires. Then it was a simple matter of screwing in the new mount, connecting the wire, and twisting the Kidde unit into place. Once I flipped the breaker back on, everything was back to normal.



There is one nice thing on these new units. The battery door is on the face of the unit rather than the back. The old Firex unit has the battery in the back, and it was a pain to replace the battery. Another nice improvement of the Firex unit is the power connector is much easier to plug and unplug without being insecure.



So if this is the replacement for your old Firex smoke alarm, don't hesitate to get this one from Kidde. I'm pleased with the results, and I think you will be too. Please feel free to ask questions in the comments section below. Kidde i4618 Firex Hardwire Ionization Smoke Detector with Battery Backup

If you're looking to replace existing FireX detectors, I'd buy the i4618 detector in the Item 21007582 pack vice the 21007581 pack because it comes with the FireX to Kidde adapter KA-F. This makes your replacement a simple install and you don't have to disconnect any wires.



All in all the "hush" button and easy install make this a thumbs up from me.

We moved into a house that was built back in 1985. Along with a multitude of other little fixes and updates that needed doing, I noticed that the upstairs smoke detector was looking a little loose on the ceiling. Upon giving it a twist, the bracket broke, and the detector subsequently hung in a jaunty, festive way from just the wires. And I noticed that this was the ORIGINAL smoke detector, dated from 1985. Okay, there's another thing needing replaced.



Installation was a breeze - cut the power, pull the old one, match the correct wires on the harness (white/white, black/black, red/red), screw in the new mounting bracket, plug it in, lock it in place, turn the power back on.



BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ / BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!



Oops! The 2010 model smoke detector didn't want to play well with the other 1985 smoke detector that I hadn't even noticed downstairs, and they were both going off simultaneously. Okay, swap that one out too, and... blissful silence, and a comforting green light shines from each one.



Trust me: if I could install this, ANYONE can install this. I can't even hammer a nail straight.

I purchased 5 of the detectors to replace ones in my home that were 10 years old. The installation process took about 5 minutes to install a new wiring harness and mounting plate. Each one went in extremely easily. I like the feature of this detector that has the battery accessible without having to take the detector off the ceiling. I would definitely recommend this product for anyone replacing a wired plus battery group in their home.

I had to replace smoke dectors that were more than 10 years old; I needed ones that would work with the orginal purchase without making electrical changes. The printed descriptions helped me make the right choice. I had my electrican install and test them and they are working.



I am impressed because the two large home improvement stores didn't have the model I needed in stock; one couldn't guarantee a delivery date. The prices offered were competitve; thank you Amazon.com

Wow, thanks for all the other great reviews. I too would have never guessed that I obtained the necessary skills to replace all my failing, old/outdated smoke a alarms myself. Fortified with the encouragement I found here, I managed to replace five in my house. . .all by myself. Everything went well - they are very easy to install. I actually bought mine on eBay for a fraction of the cost here.

I purchased 3 of these to replace the Firex detectors that were over 10 years old and no longer worked correctly. I am no mr fix it by any means, but after reading the reviews here. I decided that I could do it myself and I did. Just make sure you turn off the correct breaker. Get a screw driver and go to it. It comes with the correct kit that you need to change out the old units for the new ones as far as fitting to your ceiling. The only thing that I would have like to seen is the wires stripped a bit further than they were. But its not that big of issue. connect the colored wires, put in the new adaptor, and you're there. If I can do it, anyone can do it. Thes detectors are a lot better than the one's they replaced easy to get to the battery when it comes time to change it out.

Our home is almost 10 years old and the smoke detectors were due for replacement. I read other owner reviews stating how easy these were to install and I confirm their reports. I changed all five detectors in under 2 hours. I am pleased. The detectors were complete with batteries that I activated by pulling a card board tab. - Firex 120-1072b Replacement - Smoke Detector - Home Safety - Smoke Alarms'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information