Wednesday 24 February 2010

Home Office - home office, electric sharpener


I bought this unit for my wife - she hates the old hand crank sharpener in our basement. This unit works great - My 4 year old grandson and I sharpened a dozen pencils for her in just a couple of minutes -its very attractive on her desk - I bought it because it has a pencil holder built in and the different pencil size adjustment - Granted we only sharpen a few pencils a month and I can see how it might not work in a school setting where someone sharpens a dozen a day but for the home office this is sweet. Royal P60 Electric Pencil Sharpener 29342C

I have now bought two of these sharpeners at Sams club and both of them broke after 6 months of use. Granted we homeschool so they both got lots of use everyday, but I was very disappointed and frustrated to have my second one break on me. They work good for a while, but the insides are very fragile and do not hold up over time. We will be going to another brand.

I use pencils all day long and sharpening is important to me.

I must first say that my unit did not function properly. When the pencil was inserted, I had to wiggle the pencil around in order to get it to start. That was unacceptable and I had to return it to Amazon (which was absolutely no problem. I Love Amazons return policy).

I will point out a couple of things that I noticed that turned me off as well.

The yellow wheel on the front that is used to set the pencil diameter is difficult to turn. Not finger friendly. Also, in the image it looks like the storage compartment is deep. It is not. The pencils that are in the picture must be at least 1/3 there original size. When sharpening, occasionally the blades grab the pencil and the unit starts to turn, requiring your second hand to hold the unit. When doing this, it is easy to dislodge the shavings container, thus stopping the sharpener.



I purchased a different model (X-Acto 1744 Heavy-duty electric pencil sharpener, black, 1 Unit. It is perfect. It is WAY more powerful and sharpens a pencil to a perfect point.

I am returning this after 3 pencils. There is absolutely NO WAY this could last in a school setting and was frustrating in a home one. It takes a long time to sharpen and you have to apply force. (Both are bad news for a school setting.) It then sharpened one side of two of the pencils and not the other. I am sure the company would blame the pencil. I have had battery operated ones work better than this one.



I guess I'll have to sock big money into one that will finally work and last. :(

BOUGHT THIS AT SAMS CLUB FOR $16.00 BUT THIS IS A GREAT SHARPENER. WORKS FOR ADULT PENCILS AND FAT PENCILS THAT MY KIDS USE. CREATES A SHARP POINT. IT ALSO HAS A LIGHT ON SIDE (KIDS LOVE THIS) THAT TELLS YOU WHEN YOUR PENCIL IS DONE SO NO OVER SHARPENING!

It broke the first day of use. I had to sharpen 20 pencils for my students to use for a test, I emptied and replaced the cartridge that catches the shavings and put the 20th pencil in the machine and the PLASTIC gears that drive the motor broke and are now rattling around in the machine.

This sharpener works great, until it breaks...which in our case was about 12 weeks. The problem we experienced was a pencil lead breaking off and getting caught inside the blades. There's no way to take the blade mechanism apart, so when this happens new pencils can't go all the way in. Poor design.

In a nutshell, I bought this sharpener for students to use in my classroom and it never worked properly. At best, kids would get pencils with hacked-up yet still somewhat sharp points; more often they'd give up when it split the lead and just go stand in line for the manual sharpener. I wouldn't think of buying one of these again. Buy a Boston sharpener instead. - Home Office - Pencil Sharpeners - Pencil Sharpener - Electric Sharpener'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information