Thursday 25 February 2010

Rotary Tool Accessories - rotozip bits, dremel


My home project last year was to remodel two bathrooms. The one bathroom, I tore down to the studs and nailed up Durock and then I tiled the first 4 feet of all the walls and the entire tub enclosure. The second bathroom, I retiled the floor and the shower enclosure. I had a wet tile saw and a rotozip tile bit. These tools made the job a breeze.You can't cut floor tiles with the rotozip tool. I tried, it doesn't work too well. But it cuts through Durock and wall tiles like butter. When you use the Rotozip tool for the first time, try cutting some scrap pieces of tile first. It will help you get a feel of how to control the tool. RotoZip TC1 Tilecut Bit

I tiled a bath vanity last weekend and thought I'd give the rotozip tile bit a try. I was a little doubtful of the possibility of making decent cuts without a wet saw (they say a dremel will cut tile too, yeah right). The rotozip worked wonderful on making the curve cuts for the tiles around the sink opening. It cut them like butter! I was amazed. I believe the only tool that would do a better job would be a wet scroll saw (and we all have one of those out in the shop)! The only thing that didn't give it 5 stars is that it is poor on making straight cuts (but a manual tile cutter does that in a snap).

I am in the process of laying about 250 sf of tile and purchased these bits to allow me to make cuts in 1/2" backerboard (cement board). After one painfiully slow cut, the bit broke. I contacted Rotozip and they recommended using the RZ250 (1/4" shank bit). It's working out very well! RotoZip says that this bit should also work, but I think not. If you are cutting thicker cement board, pay the extra [money] and get the RZ250 bit.

Alright--imagine being in the middle of a tile project and needing to make a cut. This is your first big tiling project so you don't really have any special tools like a wet saw--and you of course hadn't had to foresight to rent one. Well this was the position I found myself in one day when I was tiling my bathroom. My solution was to order the rotozip bit and I must say I have been very pleased with it. This tile bit makes it easy to cut both straight and curved lines. This is wonderful in itself because when I finally sprung for the wet saw I found out that it couldn't even really cut curved lines. This makes this bit so incredibly worth the money it costs because it can do twice as much as an expensive wet saw--and the bit is also cheaped then renting a wet saw for a day. This bit gives a really great cut and doesn't crack or shatter the tile. Also the rotozip is so easy to use making using this bit a pure pleasure. Obviously though if you are undertaking a huges project with lots of cuts you may be better off to rent a big saw or buy your own--but this little bit is great for projects that don't require a huge amount of cutting. I have been pleased with all the rotozip attachments and this tile cutting bit is great!!

This is a great product and I'll tell you all why. I bought this with the intention NOT of using it in a Rotozip (I don't have one) but in my Firestorm cordless 12V. So I offered it up and started drilling into some wall tiles for a soap dish holder. It went through like nothing and I was literally floored by how easy it cut through ceramic. Trying to experiment a bit, I then offered the bit into my Dremel rotary (two speed). WELL!Talk about a knife through butter, the only regret I had was that I thought I had excellent performance with the drill and spent too much time using the drill. With the Dremel it was like the tile wasn't there. If you're into tile cutting in any form - BUY IT at any price.

roto tile bits will do a good job on thin ceramic tiles for cutouts-straight cuts are hard-thick tile,marble,etc-forget it--bits burn up quickly on cement backer board and at $5.99 are not cost effective. Buy a small diamond blade for your 4" grinder--makita-dewalt etc. which are very effective, with a little practice they work fine--wear a dust mask and eye protection

I thought this tool was the perfect solution for my tiling project. Heed the warnings about not using it on floor tile or thick ceramic tile. I burned up a blade trying to drill through floor tile. It worked to make an irregular cut in the floor tile before it was installed but it took FOREVER. It was actually quicker for me to drive to the hardware store and have them cut the tile.It did work great on the cement backer board. I just noticed the diamond wheel for cutting tile and I am hoping that will be better. - Rotozip Bits - Rotary Tool Accessories - Tile Cutting Bit - Dremel'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information