Saturday 27 February 2010

Lens Protector - filters, digital slr


These filters are good, but not great. I would definitely recommend them, but there are better ones out there. These are cheapest multi coated filters that I have been able to find. I owned some other "tiffen" ones, but they sucked, and were not multi coated.



They did show some glare in the pictures, but it was MINIMAL compared to the non coated ones I previously had. The only other option is to buy 30-40 dollar multi coated filters. Pass on that.



I'm a person that likes to always have the filters on for protection, so I bought 4 for all my lenses.... This was the cheapest way to do it. Zeikos ZE-UV58 58mm Multi-Coated UV Filter

I got this to protect the stock lens of my Canon XS. Took me a couple tries to thread the filter on to the lens. The pictures with the filter on show no visible difference from the ones without.



Pros

- Multi-coated unlike the Tiffen filter

- No scratches

- Auto focus is still fast. I couldn't tell the difference

- cheap



Cons

- Threading could be a little better. Although, it doesn't bother me because I don't plan on removing it from the lens often.

New to digital photography and read that multi-coated filters where the way to go. I purchased two of these for my Canon XSi 18-55mm lens and a 55-250 telephoto lens. It took a gentle hand to ensure it threaded properly, but once on worked fantastic. I would highly recommend this product.

These are well constructed filters, and screw on very nicely (snug and tight). I've had Canon lens filters and the filter lens simply popped out of the frame. However, they are no good when photographing a target and there is a light source head on or slightly off to the side (sun, lamp or chandelier). It produces quite the odd mirrored reflections, stars, flares etc. I bought 4 of these filters for my 4 lenses (all different sizes). In the evening, I simply aimed at the chandelier lights and the results produced a mirrored reflection of the individual chandelier bulbs. I then removed the lens filter and took the same shot, and the shot did not have any odd reflections or stars.



I would suggest removing the lens filter when directly facing the sun or a bright light. I don't bother putting the lens filter on now as I handle my equipment quite carefully. I also have hoods which add some level of protection.

The product name is mislabeled. This is not a multi-coated filter. It may or may not be single coated on both sides. Multi-coated lenses show a faint purple or green reflection. This shows a natural color reflection, indicating uncoated or single coating. Additionally, consider that it is not mentioned on the actual packaging nor printed on the ring that it is multicoated or even single coated.



For the three dollars that I got it for, this would be a 3-4 star rated 58mm uncoated UV filter. It works fine as an uncoated filter, except that the filter threads do not properly fit both the EF-S 18-55mm and the EF-S 55-250mm, whereas the Hoya 58mm UV MC Filter does fit both perfectly. The filter stays on, but it may damage your threads if you tighten it properly.



I would recommend this if you don't care about glare or the thread fitting properly. If you keep it on a lens that you don't use much for protection, it should be fine. If you are sensitive about image and manufacturing quality, buy the Hoya 58mm UV MC Filter or equivalent instead.

Most people use UV filters largely for their protective quality. A filter - especially an inexpensive one like this Zeikos - is easily replaced if soiled or damaged, whereas the front element of a lens is not.



But there is a downside to the use of a UV filter, and this is especially true when it is used on a zoom lens with many elements: That is that any refracted light, whether it be withing or outside of the image frame, will tend to create visual fog, lesson contrast, or in severe circumstances even create a light artifact in the image.



The answer to this is for the filter to have coatings applied that prevent light hitting the surface of the filter from being scattered. In that case the light will pass through without adding or subtracting from the image except in the color range (In this case invisible UV)that the filter is designed to 'filter out.'



"Multi-Coating" - the addition of several chemical layers - when well designed and applied, can be especially effective as each layer of coating can control the scattering of a separate part of the visual spectrum.



Uncoated filters reflect the entire spectrum of light. Single-coated filters typically shows a blue or purplish reflection. True multi-coated filters show different reflection for each color targeted by an applied layer of coating.



The Zeikos-UV filter only shows a slight bluish cast. This suggest a single coating of possibly limited effectiveness.



In other ways, however, the Zeikos filter seems quite adequate. The filter ring is sturdy with a flat non-reflective coating. The glass appears to be of at least decent optical quality with no apparent lack of parallel surfaces.



Thus in my final judgement this filter is a good value but not as good as its "Multi-Coated" in its name would suggest. - 58mm Filter - Digital Slr - Filters - Uv Filter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information