Sunday 28 February 2010

Sawzall Blades - sawzall, sawzall blades


These are the toughest blades I have ever used. I am remodeling an old house. To facilitate installing insulation and wiring I am removing the plaster over plasterboard exterior walls but keeping the ceiling and interior partitions intact. This requires cutting the embedded wire lath corner reinforcement. This task is brutal on blades, a 14 foot long wall requires a cut 30 foot long with the blade plunging past the wire into the supporting wood, not to mention cutting through about 1-1/2" of rock hard plaster/cement.

These blades can take it. They refuse to break. I bend them like a pretzel, lay them on a 2x4, hammer them back straight and continue cutting. I would not have believed this was possible if I had not done it. I don't think you could buy a better blade at any price. Milwaukee 49-22-1129 12-Piece Ultimate Demolition Sawzall Blade Set

Milwaukee makes a great reciprocating saw, and it is known in the trades as a Sawzall. Most people know this, but many might not know they also make great reciprocating saw blades.(They work in all brands of reciprocating saws) As the owner of 6 reciprocating saws, I have used alot of blades. I have come to this conclusion-There are only a handful of good blades out there:Milwaukee is tops, Lennox a close second, and Bosch are Okay if you can find them.



This is a great value for anyone looking for some serious reciprocating saw blades. I purchased these at Home Depot, but they are also available at Amazon for slightly less, but I had a gift card to use up...



Included with this blade set are (2) 5/8 TPI, 6" Ax Super Sawzall Blade, (2) 5/8 TPI, 9" Ax Super Sawzall Blade, (2) 8 TPI 6" Super Sawzall Wrecker Blade (2) 14 TPI 9" Torch Super Sawzall Blade & (4) 14 TPI 6" Torch Super Sawzall Blade, and a Durable Canvas Pouch For Storing blades Between Uses.



The Ax is a great blade for wood cutting applications. It is a thicker blade (.062 vs .035 for most standard blades)that really stands up to cutting the tough stuff. Nail embedded wood is no problem for this bade. It will outlast many other brands due to the extra thickness and bi-metal construction. Having the 2 sizes of this blade is a nice touch. The 9 inch size works well for cutting up bigger lumber, such as headers and railroad ties. For most general demo, the 6 inch blade will be all you need.



The Torch blades are for cutting metal. Again, they are thicker(.045) and taller than the standard blade. These blades were a lifesaver when I took down the old chain link fence around my property and had alot of post to cut into smaller sections to fit in the trash can. Again, you get 2 sizes, 6 and 9 inch.



The wrecker is a crossover blade. It cuts both wood and metal. There is only a 6 inch size of this blade in this kit.



One of the cool things about this kit is the storage pouch. It will easily accept more blades and longer blades as your blade collection increases. I have a pouch that my brother in law gave to me after he used the blades up and I was able to fit 10 12 inch blades in each section. I like that it rolls up securely, and fits nicely in my Sawzall case.

Built like a TANK..Demolition is the correct name..I used Lennox blades in the past. It was time to change blades so I bought the Milwaukee blades. Wow, what a difference, they are built to take it....This will be my blade of choice in the future...Perfect product TOUGH....An easy 5 star rating...

Purchased the blade pack with my saw from Amazon....started demolishing my kitchen (1950's era) which means a mixture of very solid 2x4's and 16d nails under a layer of plaster/rockboard(5/8") as well as solid metal corner supports. These kitchens were well engineered! Anyway, sawing thru this material, I wore out two blades in about 20 minutes of work (maybe 8' of cutting). The teeth were worn off and when I would hit a nail, teeth were actually broken off. Previous reviewers had expressed much better peformance. I will say that I did not expect blades to last long thru this type of use...I just wanted to express a more realistic assessment of their performance.

I purchased this for use with a cordless Ryobi 18V reciprocating saw, and they work fine. I haven't had cause to use the metal or combo blades, but the "Ax" blades have been useful making rough cuts in lumber. I used it several times in constructing a child's play area when I needed to make a large cut in a place too awkward for a circular saw (OK, perhaps not the most professional use of a saw, but it works and leaves a fairly clean cut).



What these blades are not good for is pruning green wood, which as it turns out is what I mainly use my reciprocating saw for. For that, Milwaukee sells packs of an amazingly effective green blade which will zip through living wood with a minimum of vibration.



The hard case the blades come in is adequate, but not a good sorting solution. I would have preferred a soft roll carrying case.

As a professional single family home builder / remodel contractor, I use Milwaukee blades on an almost daily basis. These blades keep straight well, hold an edge for a long time, and cut through just about anything. Pair it with the Milwaukee SuperSawzall, and never look back. Most of the reviews here complaining of short blade life seem to be trying to cut old plaster walls with them, and I agree that this set is not made for that. If you're cutting framing, any kind of wood, including that with nails, use the axe. For metal pipe, I beams, screws, bolts, and other metal, use the Torch. If you need to cut old-style lath and plaster (which is made with cement and sand, not gypsum like today's walls) get a masonry blade or a carbide tipped blade. It is important to have the right tool for the job, and for a lot of jobs, this is it.

I do demolition for a living. Commercial and residential. I've used every saw, and every blade on the market. There are days I use the reciprocating saw all day. The Axe and Torch are the best blades out there. No blade is indestructible and they do wear out eventually, but these blades give you the most for your money. - Milwaukee Sawzall - Sawzall - Demolition - Sawzall Blades'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information