Thursday 27 May 2010

Environmentally Friendly - eco-friendly, seventh generation


I've been using these for a few weeks to do a daily "swipe" of the bathroom sink/counter and toilet seat. Overall, I'm quite satisfied. I bought it somewhat on impulse when I found it for a really good price. I'm pleased with how moist the wipe stays -- moist enough that I can use one wipe for the whole bathroom (starting with the sink/counters and finishing with the toilet, and folding it over as I go). Of course, this only really works if you're doing it on a daily basis so that you're really just maintaining the area; if you weren't doing it daily (or near daily), you might need to use more than one wipe.



The smell is rather strong. It's somewhat of an antiseptic/medicinal smell and it does linger for a bit. At first I didn't care for it, but after a week or so, it actually kind of grew on me.



At this pace, it will take me about 10 weeks to go through one container; I cannot comment yet on how well the wipes will perform when I'm getting toward the end of the package.



UPDATE (7/21/10): I still had some left in one container 6 months after opening, and the wipes were still plenty moist! My teens don't like these wipes (particularly the smell) and prefer to use a spray with a paper towel for their daily "swipe" of the counters and toilet. But I still like these wipes for the convenience factor. Seventh Generation Disinfecting Multi-Surface Wipes, 70-count Tubs (Pack of 6)

First off, I have no real complaints about these wipes: they do a good job cleaning and they stay moist for fairly long. However, perhaps a tradeoff for how long they stay moist is that they seem a little soapy (the cloths themselves are actually very wet), and they tend to leave a bubbly trail wherever I use them. Despite this, it doesn't leave a residue or anything, but it is a bit unusual.



Do note the directions, which are typical for all such cleaners/disinfectants: to clean, just wipe the surface down as you wish; to disinfect, wipe the surface down so it stays wet for 10 minutes, then allow it to dry naturally. Rinse direct food contact surfaces with water--I actually do this with almost all of my surfaces in the kitchen, even though they aren't all food contact surfaces. (Again, this is standard procedure for most products.)



I find the rinsing also lessens the smell, which some people may find disagreeble. Personally, I don't mind it, but you might want to smell these in a store or buy a smaller container first before committing youself to a larger volume. The scent, lemongrass and thyme, isn't really intentional: it's a result of the cleaning product itself. Thymol is the disinfecting agent, and it smells like thyme; lemongrass oil is not listed as an active ingredient but may have antifungal or other beneficial properties, and I suspect that its inclusion (assuming the product does actually contain it) makes the scent a bit more agreeable. I would much rather have this smell than use other, harsher products.



The smell, by the way, is the same as in the lemongrass and thyme disinfecting spray cleaner, Disinfecting Multi-Surface Cleaner,26 oz. Trigger,Lemongrass (SEV22810) Category: All Purpose Cleaners. I suspect the products are actually nearly the same, and I think in the future I'll actually just use the spray cleaner; that way don't need to use a disposable wipe if I don't need to. These are probably mostly useful if you need something on the go; for most uses, I suspect a regular spray cleaner may be better (coupled with a paper towel, you have the same thing; coupled with a reusable cloth, you've got an even more eco-friendly solution). - Natural Cleaners - Seventh Generation - Kitchen Cleaners - Eco-friendly'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • seventh generation
  • ,
  • natural cleaners
  • ,
  • eco-friendly
  • ,
  • kitchen cleaners