Thursday 27 May 2010

Good Product - deskjet printer, good product


I've installed a great many printers over the years, and this is the first time I've ever had such a mess of bloatware (some of it borderline spyware) imposed on my computer by an installation disk. Should have used Custom Install. However, Typical Install for a new device - regardless of brand - has never before added Yahoo Toolbar to my Internet Explorer, and changed my Yahoo Mail chat preference! What has either to do with a printer, for heaven's sake?



With that said, the printer works fine and its cartridges are reasonably priced. I do wish that it didn't insist on opening HP Solutions (annoying popup) every time I use it, and that HP Solutions didn't open itself again when I try to shut the printer off. If I uninstall that software, though, I lose my ink level monitoring capability. So off with the rest of the mess of bloatware that I could have avoided by using Custom Install, and leave that program in place for now. HP Deskjet D2660 Printer (CH366A#ABA)

Do not buy this printer, unless you want a serious headache! The first HP Deskjet D2660 I purchased had a defective on/off switch. I called HP customer service, and they sent a replacement printer (same new model) which had the SAME defect. I called HP again, they sent another replacement and quess what? It had the SAME FAULTY SWITCH. Three brand new units and they all had the same defect. HP says they cannot refund my purchase price, but they will keep sending me replacements. I've wasted hours on the phone with HP, repackaging the printers and going to the UPS store to return the defective units. If you want a cheap printer that works don't buy the D2660!

I bought this printer to use for occasional printing of newsletters and flyers. The print quality is good and speed is average. I have 2 issues with this printer which made me give it a 3 star rating. I also got a printer with a defective on/off switch. The switch went bad after I printed off about 100 newsletters. Unfortunately, I had bought extra ink cartridges and did not want to go through the hassle of returning the printer so I have simply left it on and use the plug to turn it on and off. The other annoying thing is every time you use the printer, you get multiple pop up windows advertising that you are using genuine HP cartridges. If I right click on these windows and I have gotten 400 to 500 at a time, I can close them with one click. If I could easily return the printer for a refund I would.

I have been working with computers for years and have installed numerous printers. 9 times out of ten they work as advertised. This one does not. I bought it on November 2nd and returned it a little less than 30 days later. I did all the tricks to get it to work....uninstalled the old printer, cleaned the registry, removed all traces of the old printer and began installing this one. As usual, HP's bloatware loaded up and I allowed it believing that maybe it would work on my wife's more than adequate computer. Nope.....the printer would go "clunk" and freeze. After several tries, I pulled the bloatware off and stripped the registry as above and downloaded and installed HP's minimal drivers. It printed maybe once or twice and then froze again. I ran HP's diagnostics for printers and it didn't help. I spent far too much time reading "troubleshooting" and forums etc.

Oddly enough, she had 2 jobs in the cue when all of a sudden about 1 hour later the printer spit them out fully printed. I continued for the next 2 weeks on a semi regular basis rethinking all procedures and tried them all. No go. Sometimes it worked, most of the time it did not. I spent far too much effort and brainpower pulling every trick in the book to get this pig to fly and decided that my suspicions about HP's "new line" of simple ink jets were correct and HP was no longer worth the effort. I gave them a chance (again) but am no longer interested in doing so. I took an IT friends advice and picked up an Epson that worked right out of the box and continues to do so.

Find a different brand. HP has got some serious issues to correct with this model series. (Using WinXPSP3 fully updated on an Intel 2.6 with 2GB ram and a SATA HDD with only 3 programs in "startup") Trust me...her computer was NOT the problem.

When it runs it is a great printer. It printed very nice but every few days it would have an error. All the lights would start blinking and it was difficult to get it fixed so I could print again. We use it in a business so that was not acceptable.



HP was very good to me. I did the online chat and called in twice. They finally gave me an online giftcard for a new printer. After reading the reviews I selected a different model. We will see how that goes:)

this thing is pure junk, every time you install a cartridge, the printer appears boggled unable to communicate with the Pc. it's an utter headache to get it going again this thing isn't worth the cost of the ink it uses, i wouldn't take one for free, it just sits there mystified, that youy want it to preform an action, personally i hate it ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Good Product - Deskjet Printer - Deskjet - Hp Printer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information