Friday 28 May 2010

Ipod Accessories


This Nike+ kit works with your ipod nano, 3rd Gen and above. If you've got an ipod touch, it has its own receiver built in, so you don't need the whole kit, just the sensor- which is cheaper ($19).



This is not a 'pedometer'. It doesn't count your steps. It uses a much more accurate way to measure pace and distance- which is based on the inverse relationship between foot ground time and speed. If you're a 'normal' person, it may be pretty accurate right out of the box, but you can run a measured distance at your normal pace and calibrate the unit. When running at my 'regular' pace, I've found it to be remarkably accurate- hitting mile markers to within a few steps (which is more accurate than my Garmin GPS). However, the calculated relationship breaks down if you run up/down steeper hills, so that will throw it off. Also, if you significantly change your pace, it will come up a little short or long, but still generally within a few percent. Hey- nothing is perfect. Even my Garmin GPS gets 150ft off sometimes.



One of the best parts about it is that your run info gets uploaded to the Nike web site which provides zippy colorful graphs and plots, and lots of motivational tools, training plans, group challenges and such. All free!



There's no cheaper, better way to keep track of your running mileage. Kudos to Nike on this one. Oh- Nike sneakers have a built in spot for the sensor. But, if you don't run in Nike's, not a problem. You'll need to buy a little pouch that holds in on your shoe laces. Plenty choices available here on Amazon. I like the Switcheasy one myself. Nike + iPod Sport Kit (NEWEST VERSION) [Retail Packaging]

I recently purchased the entire nike plus system. It was great and easy to use, but once I loaded my first run onto the nike website from my phone an ad for a new nike app popped up. For around 2 dollars you can get a the NIke+ GPS app, that will do away with having to buy Nike specific shoes or even the little sensor. This is great because not only do you not need to buy all the extras but you don't have to change your brand of shoes, which is a huge issue for most serious runners. I ran with both for a while and the Nike+ GPS app is far more accurate and does not require a calibration run. Hopefully this helps you avoid buying the extras.

I had high hopes for this product as I am an avid long-distance runner. The setup and integration with ITunes, etc. are great. It is easy to put it all together to go out for a run. I ran one run without calibrating it and ended up having it undermeasure by about 10% (It measured 9.0 for a 9.7 mile run). I then calibrated it on my next run and it worked well that day. The next run, however, it was off again about 10%. So the next run I calibrated it again and it worked okay for that day. The next run... You get the picture. I don't know why it won't work for me, but I am really frustrated and wish I wouldn't have purchased this product. The idea and ease of use are terrific, but if it can't measure my runs with accuracy--this is a no go.

I've been using the Nike + sensor since mid-September. I have Nike Pegasus shoes that are designed with a pocket to hold the chip and an ipod nano 5th gen. I've logged just over 100 miles with it on the Nike website. This thing motivates me to keep moving so I can log more miles.



I love how many options it gives you. You can set it for a 5k workout on shuffle or a specific playlist or a specific song (I use Personal Running Trainer mp3's, also on amazon). When you select a specific distance or time, it gives you periodic updates "1 kilometer completed" "halfway point" and those are nice. If you do a basic workout, you get no automatic updates, but if you push the center button on your ipod it will update you on your time, distance and pace.



Then at the end of your workout, it tells you your time, distance, average pace, and calories burned. If you beat your best time for a mile, or go further or longer than you have in the past, a famous athlete's voice comes on and congratulates you. It's great to hear Tiger Woods congratulate you on your fastest mile.



On the Nike website, it logs all of your runs, and posts your runs to facebook if you want it to. I compete in challenges with my friends for "who can run the fastest 5k" or "who can log the most miles in February" and you can set your own personal goals as well, and you get medals when you achieve them.



As for accuracy, if you change your stride, due to changing surfaces, you can recalibrate the sensor at the end of the workout if needed. If you run on a track, and you know you did 3 miles, but the sensor is off by a little bit, just tell it what you really did, and the website will log what you told it to, and now it's recalibrated for next time. I've heard of some people buying multiple chips for walking, one for running, and one for racing, but I've found that it's usually really close. When you calibrate on its own, as opposed to the end of a workout, it does not keep track of those distances for that time you spent calibrating. I currently have mine calibrated to the treadmill, and I might have to recalibrate it when I start running outside again, but I don't know.



I have friends that have other brand shoes, and they bought the separate holder to hold the chip on their laces, and they like it just fine, so you don't need Nike shoes to use this.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Ipod Accessories Ipod Accessories Ipod Accessories