Monday 31 May 2010

Camera Accessory - lens accessory, lens cap strap


The Canon Powershot SX10IS 10MP Digital Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom I recently purchased has at least two minor design flaws. First, the lens cap isn't attached to the camera. This would be less of a problem if, second, the little doobies - that's the technical term - on the sides of the cap that one finger-squeezes to release it from the lens were more pronounced (such as the ones on my venerable Canon-AE1 SLR), but they have an awkwardly low profile and I can see accidentally dropping the cap into the dirt on its way to my shirt pocket as I fumble to snap off a shot of those pesky UFOs that frequently hover over my house. Anyway, I can't do much about the low profile doobies or the UFOs, but I immediately went looking for a lens tether, and decided upon the BOWER CK501, which I received today.



The CK501's elastic loop fits perfectly snug around the base of the lens barrel. The 4.5 inch tether seems just the right length to me though others have considered it too short. I did note that another reviewer thought that the adhesive on the attachment button needed to be stronger, so I just made that irrelevant from the get go by using a drop of superglue; that little puppy isn't straying anywhere.



I have no reason to think the CK501 won't work out just fine. If it comes up lacking, I'll get back to you.



P.S. 9/21/09: I've now hiked down into the Grand Canyon and to remote lakes in the Rocky Mountain National Park carrying the SX10IS with the lens cap tethered by the CK501. The attachment button adhered to the cap at each of many photo ops along the way, the adhesive no doubt supplemented by that drop of superglue. In any case, the tether did its job to perfection. Without it, it's probable that I would've dropped the cap into the trail dust, a creek, or lake at some point. Bower HQACAPKPR Bower Capkeeper With Elastic

I recently lost a lens cap and wanted something to make sure it didn't happen again, so I bought this product. The cord is too short to reach on my longer lens (a 70-300mm Canon), though it fits the stock 18-55mm lens OK. But it doesn't really matter as the adhesive is so weak that it just fell off after a few days of use. This product was horrible. Do not buy it!

I treat my camera and equipment with respect and gentleness. This little gadget sounded like a great solution for not losing a lens cap, and while it lasted it worked as described. However, after only 3 photo outings, the string broke off the doohickey that sticks onto the lens cap. I was glad I could get the doohickey off without damaging the lens cap.



A wonderful concept, but poor quality.



Guess you get what you pay for!

I bought this item because my digital camera did not come with a lens keeper strap. This item fell apart within minutes of putting it on my camera. I would not buy this item, nor recommend it to anyone.

I spent more for the shipping on this item than the item itself (because it is a drop-ship item and did not qualify for free shipping). I put it on the camera & then headed out to shoot some photos. Literally the first time I removed the lens-cap from my camera,the elastic band broke that secures it to the cap. I managed to tie the remaining cord to my camera strap, so I am still using it. But the sticky-dot often falls off of the cap & I find the lens cap on the ground. Save your money! I'm thinking I may be able to drill a small hole in the cap & tie a longer string through that to my strap...could work!

Don't waste your money on this poorly-made, cheap, Chinese piece of junk. As soon as I took it out of the package and handled it, the cord ripped. The cord is very flimsy and where it is clamped to the elastic band the sharp teeth from the clamp cut into the cord.



This product will not hold up. The corny silver ring sticker also fell off within minutes, and the adhesive is very weak.



Simply put, this is another cheap, mass-produced, foreign product that is a WASTE of money.



Do yourself a favor and look for a better solution, I know I will. This a cheap product that shouldn't be on any high-end digital camera.

I bought this because I misplaced my lens cap and had to replace it. I'm not willing to pay for another lens cap, so I bought this to avoid losing it again!

It works as described. I'd say the attachment string is a bit on the short side, so if you have a really long lens, this might not work very well. - Lens Cap - Lens Cap Strap - Lens Accessories - Lens Accessory'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information