Thursday 27 May 2010

Laptop Power Adapters - macbook, power adapter


The original cord for my computer shorted out and I needed a replacement. I bought this thinking it was a good cheap alternative to the 80 dollar apple cord. It worked fine initially, but after about two weeks the power block began to become too hot to touch after being plugged in.

This replacement is made of plastic that is too cheap to handle the scalding heat of the power block. It is literally melting itself and is a fire hazard.

I now have to buy a new cord as I'm afraid this one will catch fire and burn my house down.

I recommend spending the extra 20 bucks and ordering a genuine apple cord from amazon. Replacement AC Adapter for Apple MagSafe MacBook Pro Laptops 16.5V, 3.65A 60W

I do not recommend this item. First, I got it and it broke within the first 2 weeks of having it; Second, it made an awful screeching noise the entire time it was plugged in; Third, after writing my negative review the first time, the product maker e-mailed me telling me that they "cared about the satisfaction of their customers" and would send me a new charger THAT DAY if I removed the feedback. I then removed the feedback, e-mailed them back (twice) and have yet to hear from them or receive my new charger.

I thought this product was a good deal for [...] bucks when apple wanted $80 for the same cord. So I thought. When I got the cord I plugged it in and had power to my laptop, however, the cord does not charge my laptop battery. That is the part that really hurts. I don't want to have sit by a plug to use my laptop all the time so I guess I will have to break down and purchase an AC adapter from Apple so that I can charge my laptop.

When my original MacBook recharger finally went bad, I didn't want to spend $85 or more on a new one. However, I was scared off by some of the bad reviews of these off-brand replacements here on Amazon. But, I thought, "to heck with it, I will order a cheap one, and if it doesn't work I will return it."



So I got it in the mail, and guess what, it works great. Yes, the little light in the cord, in the part that actually connects to the MacBook, stays on for a while after I take it out of the computer. And, yes, it gets warmer than the Apple original. It doesn't get hot, and I don't care about the light. It does not come with the Apple extension cord, but it does fit my original extension cord just fine. Then thing works great, and it costs 75% less.



In fact, it works so great, I bought a second one. Now I keep one at the office and one at home so I don't have to carry the recharger between locations. So, for a bit more than half the price of the Apple version, I have two rechargers that both work great.

The cord only really works if you can set it in the exact right position in the outlet. Every time you move your computer, you have to skillfully position the cord so that your computer will recognize that it's plugged in. Plus, you can't take off the original plug and use an extension cord with this. Also, it feels very hot when plugged in for a long period of time.

Well, technically this item works (i.e. it charges my laptop) but I would not dare to leave the room with it plugged in. Once plugged in, this adapter heats up almost immediately and to the point where I can't touch it with my bare hands. I was suspicious when the first time I plugged it in, the charging light stayed lit for a few minutes after I unplugged it. Then, when I tried to leave it plugged in long enough to actually fully charge the laptop, I was worried it would cause a fire.

This is not an Apple laptop charger. It's a fake, a chinese knockoff. Avoid this seller and this item at all costs. Unless you want to destroy your $1000+ laptop with a $20 piece of chinese garbage...



Not worth your money, or even my time, writing a 'review' for this garbage.

So I have been using this for about a month now and it has been working fine. I have a 13" MBP and needed an extra charger for when at school as my first one is tied up in a docking station. Like many of the other reviewers the unit did get very hot at first, but as I have used it more and more I find that it doesn't get as hot as it did initially and it is always touchable now. As for charging, it works well charging the computer and I have had no problems with the LED charging indicator. Sometimes it can be a bit temperamental when plugging into the wall to get it to start charging but if it is plugged into a floor outlet or power strip on the ground it works every time with no problems. For the price though I cannot complain and think it is a great deal vs. the $80 apple alternative.



It would be a 5 star if not for the fact that it gets hot and sometimes needs a little positioning encouragement to start charging. But overall I recommend it.

This works fine if you treat it like fine china. Otherwise, don't bother with it. It broke when I bumped it with my foot...which is going to happen occasionally because I plug my computer in underneath my desk at work. Should have just gone with the one from Apple. - Apple Charger - Power Adapter - Macbook - Macbook Charger'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information