Friday 28 May 2010

Superwinch - winches, winch


I purchased this new Terra 45 Winch from Amazon for an unbeleivable $211.99 and it has far exceeded my expectations. I am using it as a utility winch on my car trailer to haul Jeeps and other vehicles. The motor sounds great, and the construction is much more rugged than the entry level Chinese winches (which this is replacing). It has plenty of power and the release mechanism is easy to operate.



I highly reccomend this winch!



Nice job superwinch! Superwinch 1145220 Terra 45 4500lb Winch with Cable

I bought this winch for my car and equipment trailer and find this product to exceed expectations in every way.

Top quality components with all wiring and instructions included. I mounted the winch inside my trailer mounted tool box

to keep it out of the weather and out of sight. I mounted the roller fair lead on the wall of the tool box facing the trailer deck

and use the UTV handlebar control switch to operate the winch when I am standing alongside the tool box. I lengthened the wired remote

control harness to reach behind my trailer so I can steer the vehicle I am loading .



I am very pleased with my choice and would by another or recomend one without reservation.

As soon as I recieved this by UPS I put it to work pulling

down a large ash tree. It had plenty of power to pull the tree

in the direction I wanted & to also pull the limbs from the

trees that it fell onto. It took a while to wire it as it is

designed mainly for mounting to a vehicle. But I built a box

out of a plastic tool box to hold all the wiring components

so now I can just take that, a 12 volt battery and the winch

anywhere it is needed in the woods. I did use the hitch mount

to do the job and that worked ok but I will build a custom

bracket to fasten to trees to keep the winch upright. I like

the ease that you can spool out the cable by turning the large

knob on the side. Everything is color coded with a diagram so

its not that big a deal to wire up.

I purchased this along with the Komodo portable winch mount from Amazon.com.



So far, I've used the winch on the mounting plate attached to the hitch receiver on my pick-up truck to pull up small trees. I don't know exactly how powerful the winch is but, attached to one larger tree, it pulled my GMC Canyon pick-up with the parking brakes applied without sounding strained.



Since I'm not using this on an ATV/UTV I had to do some modifications to the wiring. I attached the small red wires together that would normally go to the ignition and simply attached them to the positive pole of the battery along with the battery positive battery cable. I have a 700 amp car battery and a deep cycle marine battery that I use with the winch.



The Komodo portable winch mount required some modifications for the Terra 4500. It has eyes welded on for winches with a narrower fairlead than the 4500 has. I cut these completely off including the welds with a grinder and cut out a slot where the mount has a front lip so the fairlead could be mounted flush on the base. Unfortunately, I cut the slot in the centerline and couldn't use the cage on the mount. If the slot in the front lip is cut approximately 1/2 to 1 inch to the right of the centerline of the mounting plate (looking at the plate from the hitch side), the cage for the mount should fit.



To summarize, this is a powerful little winch,has met all my expectations and, along with the Komodo portable mount and some high amp batteries, is extremely versatile.

I am also using this winch at the front of a car hauler to pull disabled vehicles onto the trailer. It was either a Chinese 10K pound winch or this one. From the research I did, this will pull the same and last longer, so it was an easy choice. It is very well built compared to the Warn I had on my ATV, the motor sounds great the gears are pretty quiet and the kit comes very complete. The only thing I needed to purchase was a snatch block which effectively doubles the weight it can pull. More importantly I feel that taking the extra few minutes to use a snatch block will increase the life of the winch dramatically as it doesn't have to work as hard. Having the remote is very handy when loading a car and the handlebar switch works well mounted to the winch. I am using it with a 2" hitch winch mount and a custom receiver at the front of the trailer so I don't have to leave it out in the weather and also so I can use it on my truck and ATV's. A very versatile tool for all sorts of uses.

This winch is an outstanding product and of exteme good quality. Also the product

support from CT is outstanding. Strongly recommend if you are looking for a winch

for any purpose, this is the one to buy. Outstanding value for the dollar.

I purchased this winch after much debate and reading reviews like this. I pull 30 inch oak logs 9 feet long on to my trailer with this winch with no problems. It has great power and I like the quality in this winch. I would buy again.

Could never figure out which winch to buy. A friend who does a lot of towing recommended this one. I'm very happy with it, seems like a very high quality product, and the price was great. Came with everything needed for an easy installation. - Blueproton - Winch - Winches'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information