Sunday 30 May 2010

Pocket Knife - utility, pocket knife


This knife is great. It clips perfectly on the inside edge of my jeans pocket, and I use it many times each day for opening boxes, cabling packages, etc. It holds its edge for a very long time in between sharpenings, and, more importantly, it keeps its grip and doesn't move, fall off, or open in my pocket. I got my first one at a local store, which no longer carries Gerber knives. When I lost it by leaving it at a job, I searched high and low locally before I finally tried Amazon. Amazon's price was great and I loved the knife so much that I bought 4, just in case I lose one (or more) again. Gerber 22-41493 EVO Jr. Serrated Edge Knife

Having used mainly CRTK knives of this type before, I was somewhat dubious at the $15 price. However, for the most part, I haven't been dissappointed.



Pros:

+Very small size

+Good level of out-of-box sharpness

+Easy to unlock and sheathe knife with one hand

+Stiff opening action



Cons:

-Stiff opening action

-No way to hard-lock the blade open





What I dislike is the opening action - it is slow to open with one hand. Something I liked about the CRTK knives was that I could very easily open it with one hand. I didn't even really need to use my wrist at all. The gerber is just stiff enough to make it an inconsistent thing to open the knife one handed.



Additionally, the CRKT knives have a mechanism to lock the blade open more securely, so that its more difficult to put the blade away accidentally. The gerber lacks this.



Overall, this is a decent product at a killer price. I use it mainly to cut cardboard, and it does that easily.

This knife has become indispensable in my daily routine. I've used it for cutting clay out of a backhoe bucket, opening packages, pulling weeds, and cutting cheese. It is easy to handle, easy to clean, and really holds and edge well.



The serrated edge is now essential to me. I really don't have any use for common straight blades that don't have that saw edge to work through tough stems or ornery boxes.



You won't be disappointed!

Unlike some people I like the clip on this knife. It allows me to carry it clipped to my right front pocket and it stays out of my way. The thin design and profile of the knife keep it out of my way when reaching into my pocket for spare change or car keys. I stopped carrying a knife for a long time because I couldn't find just the knife that I wanted. This one is it though. I've had it now for about three weeks and haven't had a need to re-edge it yet. This one's a keeper.

I won't repeat all the good points others have made about this knife, but one drawback I didn't notice anyone mentioning is that the handle surface coating is very low friction to the hand - almost slippery. It seems like a very durable coating but it has less grip than any other knife handle I've had (a lot), even cheap ones. The opening tab which is on the base of the blade once open, and some thumb grip grooves on the top help a lot, but still, a slippery handle is no good thing on a knife. Otherwise, it is a very sharp, quick opening, attractive knife with a high quality look and feel, and at the price, I would still buy it again.

Once I removed the pocket clip (which I can't stand; you'll need a T6), it instantly became my favorite daily carry knife. After some adjustment, I find the combination of the finger guard and thumb stud a vast improvement for one-handed operation over a thumb stud alone. The liner lock is an excellent, reliable design; unlike the ones on my Buck knives which can easily release while using the knife. Thin, light weight, sturdy construction, nice feel and grip. Highly recommended.

I used this knife specifically for my work in the military, and the clip is perfect to fit in my right front pocket. I could crawl around in the dirt, jump and run around and the knife would always still be there in my pocket. I used it for a variety of uses from opening food containers to cutting rope or sharpening sticks for building shelters. It's also so small and convenient that whenever someone would need a knife i could whip it out of my pocket with ease before anyone else would have a chance to reach for their leatherman or gerber on their belt.



The only downside to this knife is that eventually I did lose it because i attached it to the front of my vest and then lost it while crawling around in some thick bushes. I wanted to look cool because someone else was wearing their knife on the front of their vest but the clip wasn't as secure there and it came loose. I'm confident that if I had kept it in my front pocket I'd still have it today. I'm ordering a new one though, and I suggest you do to! it's durrable and rugged and sure to stay in your pocket. Even the handle part of the knife has small holes so if need be you could dummy cord it with rope to your gear, belt, or wherever you use it the most. - Utility - Gerber - Pocket Knife - Small'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information