Friday 26 June 2009

Bosch - iridium, spark plugs


I bought a set of six for my three series and they are exactly as represented. Top of the line plugs from Bosch. Installed and car runs perfectly.

I'll tell you more after the next 100,000 miles with them! Bosch (4503) FGR7DQI Platinum IR Fusion Spark Plug, Pack of 1

I tried these plugs on my 2004 Honda Accord to see if they make a difference. The car only has 50k miles, well below the factory recommended change interval for the spark plugs. My average mileage has increased from about 26 to 28.5 MPG. They'll pay for themselves quickly with today's gas prices.

Excellent spark plugs, I noticed the difference of the engine noise right away, especially when driving above 45Mph , the engine runs much smoother and quieter.It appears that 4 prongs does make a big difference over 1 prong, the car accelerates smoother and faster as well.It cost five times more than a cheap 99cent plug (after rebate) but its worth it.

Highly recommended.

If your looking for Iridium for the platinum plug price, this is the plug for you. My Audi performs better and gets approximatley 1 mpg better fuel mileage than with inferior single ground bar Iridium Plugs on the market. Thumbs up to Bosch for this quality product.

I put these in a my Volvo V70 XC as part of a tune-up and found them to be much, much better than the OEM plugs with 30k miles on them. Smoother idling, clearly better response/power from the engine throughout the RPM range, and with better gas mileage.Just a few days after putting them in, however, I lost an ignition coil. After reading a bit on Amazon and elsewhere, I got conservative and worried about whether or not the change in plugs was responsible for the coil loss--they are old coils and some have suggested that these plugs have different electrical characteristics from more traditionally designed plugs.I replaced the coil and then replaced these plugs with Autolite Double Platinum plugs, which come highly recommended from a couple of mechanic friends for durability and compatibility. Gapped the Autolites and installed them and felt, in comparison, as though I was driving a brick around the city. Car took more cranks to start, and the mileage monitor dropped by just about 2 MPG.So tonight I got the Bosch plugs back out of the shed and re-installed them. The difference is pronounced; it's like a different engine.I'm keeping these in and giving a provisional 5-star review on the assumption that the failed coil's timing is just a coincidence. If I now lose another coil or two after re-installing these plugs, I'll be back to drop my star rating considerably and accuse these of being coil-killers, but in the meantime, I just can't leave these sitting in the shed and run on the Autolite DPs given the difference in performance!

Car saw mpg improvement (roughly 1-2mpg for a total of about 15-30miles more on a tank of gas) as well as improved low-end acceleration (0-60 and definitely 30-70). Didn't see much difference in the top-end. As far as engine sound, vibration, etc I didn't see any difference although the car was fine to begin with so... Overall, great plugs and quality for the money!!

I placed these in my '93 Toyota corolla and wow what a difference! Much smoother and quieter running engine as well as better acceleration. Use to have a little knock that I though was lifters on a 209k engine but now knock is gone. Engine is so quiet now that I find myself punching the throttle when at a stop light just to make sure engine is not stalled. I have found that they were well worth the money. 17 to 18 year old car runs like new! - Spark Plugs - Iridium'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information