Friday 26 June 2009

Inflatable - advanced elements, elements


Great product, but........ The manufacturer actually sells this product in three different sizes and Amazon treats it as if there is only one. When you order it, you really don't know which one they will send you. It turned out OK for me because I was able to cut the one they sent down to the length I needed. If you aren't "handy" and they send the wrong one it looks pretty grim. Sending stuff back, trying to sort out the order to get the right one........blah, blah, blah. My recomendation is to order this particular item directly from the manufacturer or from Airkayaks.com Advanced Elements BackBone - For AdvancedFrame Convertible

I bought the backbone after taking my AdvancedFrame Expidition kayak out 3 times without it. It definitely helps with efficiency of your boat. Without it, I noticed a lot of flexing over waves and with it I was able to cut through them more easily. Definitely a good purchase. Kind of annoying that it isn't just included with the kayak though...

This is just something you MUST have with your AE inflatable kayak. I can keep up with the hard shells that are the same length with no problem and tracking is very much superior with it installed. Just snap it together install it under the floor air mattress, partially inflate the boat, and flip the boat to make sure you have it lined up straight then flip it back and fully inflate the boat. You will need a little extra padding to sit on because it is a bit hard on your tailbone after a bit.

When we purchased our Advanced Element tandem kayak (inflatable), it was recommended that we purchase a backbone accessory. However, it was not available at the store where we made our initial purchase. We tried our kayak one time without the back-bone, and it was un-satisfactory in the way it handled. We were somewhat disappointed in our purchase. We ordered the back-bone and watched the video on youTube as to how to install it during the set-up process. The kayak now handles very well. The back-one goes under the inflatable sub-floor of the kayak, and one would think this would promote a discomfort factor. However, while you can sense the added stability, one is not aware of its presence by the feel of the thing.

The backbone makes sense. When it is installed it is obvious that the kayak has better hull lines and therefore should track better. Since I have never used the AE Convertible without the backbone I can't speak from personal experience. The but, however, is that I believe getting the backbone properly installed just about doubles your time for setting up the kayak.

This barebone is really usefull with Advanced Frame Kaykak. Just I was disapointed that this item is optional - not included in standart package. It's some kind of making more money from customer.

But, lefting all my feelings about the marketing solutions, the barebone make AF kayak very stable. If you using it keep in mind you will have to put something in between seat and barebone. I put a folded kayak bag and it was OK then.

After purchasing the AF Convertible and trying to track on relatively still water I broke down and purchased the backbone.



Setup was a little hit and miss at first. I wasn't getting the backbone directly down the center. Deflating the main tubes a little, readjusting, then reinflating helped get the proper profile on the underside. I imagine setup time will get better as I use it more.



The backbone is covered in 1/4" neoprene, and I was unable to notice the backbone when sitting on the inflated floor.



Tracking was notably improved by both passengers. A must have if you're having tracking/stability issues.

I use this with my Advanced Elements AE1007-R convertible. Because this boat is 15 feet long I found it does add rigidity and creates a deeper V on the bottom. You don't feel it underneath due to the floor and that the bar itself is padded. In shallower creeks I opted not to use it due to hitting rocks because it creates more rigid spot to damage. It's easier getting over an obstacle without it. However, when that is not the case I use it and would recommend it. - Advanced Elements - Advanced - Inflatable - Elements'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information