Thursday 25 June 2009

Postpartum Support - girdle, braces


I bought this when my much-more-expensive waist cincher proved too big after my third pregnancy. I couldn't find one in a smaller size, and wasn't inclined to spend another $50 or so, anyway. So I thought this was worth a try.



PROS:

-it can go very small. The whole thing is basically one big piece of (3-paneled) elastic, with a strip of "sticky" hook-and-loop closure at one end. So you can fasten that end anywhere on the entire rest of the binder, effectively making it VERY small (at the expense of having a long "tail" underneath. I'm normally an 8-10 and right now there is only about 5 or 6 inches of tail, which is very managable--the binder would fit much smaller women than me. I'll never get too skinny for this binder.

-it's more bendy than a lot of cinchers; it doesn't have any boning to poke into you. It's comfortable enough to sleep in.

-you can make it exactly as tight as you want it. Because you can attach it wherever you want, you can adjust it the way you see fit.

-I'm not sure what it's made out of, but it breathes very well and is quite comfortable.



CONS:

-it's VERY hard to fasten tightly. I imagine a second person could help with this, but I'd like to be able to tug it a couple of inches tighter than I'm strong enough to do.

-it's not nearly as supportive as a waist cincher from the lingerie section (or presumably one of those more expensive postpartum girdles)--it's not going to make you fix your posture, for instance, and it doesn't do as much to prevent my back from getting sore.

-it definitely bunches up / flips over / creates rolls. It's JUST elastic, no boning or other support, so there's nothing to enable it to create a smoothing effect. For me, this is fine, but I definitely wouldn't want to wear it to look slimmer in a form-fitting dress.

-9" may be a little short. I'm 5'7" and this would work better for me if it was about two inches taller. But it's adequate.

-the fastening strip massively picks the rest of the elastic, which makes it instantly and irreversibly look tacky. Not that you're going to go out in public with it showing, anyway, but still.



So. Does it do the job of compression postpartum? Yes. And it does it very cheaply. I'd buy it again. If money were no object, I do think a firmer support that's easier to fasten more tightly (hook-and-eyes, for instance) has an edge, but this works well enough at a much more sensible price.



I'd point new mommies in the direction of this product. 9" Three Panel-Elastic Abdominal Binder & Waist Trimmer Small

Personally, it didn't work for me. I purchased this product at about 10weeks postpartum. I feel the reason why i didn't see any difference in my abdominal was because my uterus/stomach had shrunk to what it evetually would. I decided to buy the binder because i was returning to work and was conscious of my "4 months pregnant" looking belly. Maybe if i purchased it earlier it would have made a difference. I used it occassionally for about 2 weeks but never out of the house. I felt like wearing it emphasised the my stomach rather than hiding it. I don't regret buying it though and plan to use it again. Hopefully it works for you!

I got this item for my wife after our son was born. She started using it a few weeks after he was born and she said the compression felt good and it helped make her tummy look flatter. For the money it was definitely a good buy.

When I first received this product, I thought it would wear out quickly since it's elastic. I've had it for about a month now and so far the elastic is holding up, but where the velcro attaches is very fuzzy and I don't know how much longer it will hold up. Otherwise, this has been great support when I'm out doing a lot of walking... no lower back pain. However it is not made to wear during a meal.

this product comes with a very limited return policy. i'm not thrilled about this item which explains why i dont care to use it. the velcro makes it hard to remove and adjust. you can notice you are wearing this under your clothes. the material attracts lint and and hard to remove.

I love this product!! It is very easy to take on and off. You can easily wear it under your clothes and no one will know that you have it on. Everything that it says it does it does. Excellent product, I highly recommend it to everyone.

I haven't used this yet but was looking for a good alternative to the expensive postpartum wraps like the belly bandit. I was so happy to see "postpartum" right on the front packaging as one of the uses right when I opened it! I figure for the price I cant go wrong!! I will update this review next month after baby! (if it allows me to edit that is!) - Girdle - Braces - Hips - Binder'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information