Thursday 25 June 2009

Cordless Screwdriver - 12v, lithium


When rumor of this tool first surfaced, I cornered my Fastenal gal who introduced me to the Bosch rep. I have been able to use the PS30-2A on the Job for several months and it is every bit as reliable and tough as my 36V Bosch Hammer Drill.



One of my biggest gripes about the PS20 was the slip chuck and having to use 1/4" bits to drill. Even though it was my favorite tool in the bucket, the PS30 has out shined it in every way. The 3/8" chuck is perfect for all those small / medium drill jobs and will run down small finishing screws into cabinetry flush every time with it's adj clutch. The 2 speeds are great for fine and not so fine applications. In fact we find that we use it for larger jobs when we probably would use the 36V.



The number of times guys on the crew said "toss me that little Bosch" and it not making the connection has proven it toughness. The PS30 has that tough feel to it. You know that Recip saw or grinder that gets tossed into the back of the truck year after year and always works when you pull the trigger. This tool feels the same way. With 2 batteries and a true 30 min charger we have never run out of power in a two day span.



The only problem I have is making sure it is in the bucket in the morning as it seems to make it's way into the house by itself more and more often for those little "Do it Herself" jobs. Bosch PS30-2A 12-Volt Max 3/8-Inch Drill Driver

This thing is light weight and powerful. You can use in awkward postions and the weight does not tire you out. It has a great form-fit for the hand -- mine isn't small or huge, and it's comfortable. The batteries do fully charge in 30 minutes, making them easy to rotate and get the job done. My wife loves it because even with her smaller hands, it's easy for her to use around the house.



Torque selection and the keyless chuck operate smoothly and clearly indicate the easily adjustable settings. Finally, with a little practice the trigger is so responsive that you maintain real control over drill speed and avoid stripping screws or spintering wood. The LED light is bright enough to make quick work in less than optimal light conditions.



If there are any flaws in the design or operation of this drill, I haven't found them. It's a great tool.

I have the Bosch PS40-2a 12v Impact Driver, and think it is absolutely the best tool I've ever purchased. That thing rocks in every way. Its power, balance, weight, and run time all combine to make a truly useful tool that I've needed for years before I bought it.



It was with that in mind that I decided to try the PS30-2a drill, even though there was very little out there (or here) in terms of reviews. I wanted a drill that was just as good as their impact driver. Unfortunately, I was not nearly as impressed with this tool.



Don't get me wrong, this drill works fine. Its action is smooth and the chuck works great. But what really turned me off was the lack of balance. It is quite top heavy. You wouldn't think it would make much of an impact given that overall the tool is quite light. But after using it for a small project I found my wrist was quite sore. The unbalanced nature of it simply fatigued my wrist enough to make me have to lay off the tools for a couple days.



I then borrowed a DeWalt 12v from a friend and it was night and day. The DeWalt was heavier to be sure, but the balance was much more even from top to bottom. As a result it's an easier and more pleasant tool to use.



I have several great Bosch tools (router, sander, impact driver) and hoped this would be another one of my favorites. Instead, I ended up sending it back.

This is just a great light to medium duty cordless drill. It's the BMW of 12v LiOn drills.



In terms of the serious business of drilling all is as it should be. The chuck is solid and precise. the clutch works well. There is adequate torque. The 2 speed gear switch works smoothly (it's a struggle with my Dewalt, for example). The reverse switch is solid, smooth and well-placed (I use the reverse switch a LOT). The charger is pretty good (fast, easy to understand charge-state) although the battery socket is a little stiff forcing you to really commit to pushing the battery into it. The batteries are tiny but last long enough.



The drill itself is ergonomically quite good. It balances in the hand well (although I wish it stood upright -- the only real problem with the tool, and the reason I am not giving it 5 stars).



The Bosch looks nice, the LED's are a nice edition. The case is well designed and high quality.



The value is there too, given that it's Bosch -- the tool, 2 batteries, a case, a charger for about $130.



In the end, buying a higher priced tool, say a Bosch, Makita, etc instead of a lower priced tool like a DeWalt or Skill or Porter Cable is a matter of taste: in the end, it's just a drill. Beyond issues of reliability, the choice you make probably isn't going to affect your actually getting the work done.



But if you are the kind of person who is willing to pay a premium for quality of experience, if for example you buy Audi's and BMW's instead of Fords or Hyundais you are going to be very happy with this 12v cordless Bosch drill. - Cordless - 12v - Lithium - Drill'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • lithium
  • ,
  • cordless
  • ,
  • 12v
  • ,
  • drill