Sunday 28 June 2009

Training Fins - monofin, fins


This was a purchase for my teenage daughter for use while swimming with dolphins. It's a fun way to swim but it uses muscles not ordinarily used so yes you can swim fast, but unless you have practiced and built up those muscle groups you will get tired faster. She has a woman's size 8 very narrow foot and these fit her well enough but she did complain some about slipping. I think they say it's for up to a man's 11 or something and I kind of doubt that very much. The slipping may have been addressed wearing socks or booties but I will not likely ever know :p

For the money I can't imagine that there are many other monofins out there to compete with this one. If you want to spend mega-dollars you can get a monofin with built in booties like snorkeling fins have. This one served our purpose. FINIS Rapid Monofin

I've been using the Finis Rapid mono fin for 1/2 year now, 2x week in the pool. So far no problems with any failing parts. If you have never tried a mono fin yet and just want to use it for recreational swim training this is a good fin for a reasonable price. The rubber of the "Rapid" is rather soft so that the blade bends easier which makes it less difficult to swim with. The down side of this effect is that you will never reach top performance. If you want to go serious you might want to get a more professional fin with a fiber glass blade and closed heels.

However, for new mono fin users (like me) the Rapid fin provides a good workout and you will notice a difference in your swimming results and overall fitness after a few weeks. On that note - training with a mono fin is probably one of the most efficient ways to strengthen your lower back and core section without putting load on it compared to any type of weight training.

I do agree with the others though that the foot pocket is on the narrow side. I have shoe size 10 for men and my feet fit barely. Little improvement tip for the manufacturer: Next time they design a new product that is supposed fit people in the U.S. or Europe, don't take the measurements in China ;-)

Purchasing this item was a WASTE of time. The manufacturer claims this item fits mens shoe size 8 - 14, and it does NOT. I'm a woman who wears womens size 7 and it hardly even fit me. Had to place a return :-(

I'm a Womens size 7 and a half. I do not own this adult one (but I know ppl who do) I own the Finis Wave Monofin (it says for children) but it can fit any women to I'd say 8 and a half, and I have a wide foot. So I hope this helps you for sizing if you a womens 8 and below get the wave.. if your larger get this! - Finis - Monofin - Fins - Training Fins'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • fins
  • ,
  • monofin
  • ,
  • finis
  • ,
  • training fins