Monday 29 June 2009

Campbell Hausfeld - staplers, finish staplers


Questionable quality. I've had the gun just over a month and found it easy to use, lightweight, nice balance. I was fairly impressed. Then it just quit working, I'm guessing a seal ruptured somewhere inside b/c it just leaks instead of firing.

If I could get hold of someone at customer service I would find out what is wrong for sure, but they don't answer the phone, even during their limited office hours, and seemingly don't respond to their email. I'm sure it's still under warranty, but probably won't be by the time I finally get hold of someone.



UPDATE:

The leak was apparently the result of a seal getting dry on the shelf and coming unseated. It was a quick DIY fix. Since then, I've been using it regularly without any problems or complaints. I'd change the rating to a 4* if I could. Campbell Hausfeld 3/8-Inch to 1-1/4-Inch 18-Gauge Narrow Crown Air Powered Stapler: Model CHN10399

The Campbell-Hausfield air stapler arrived in perfect condition and works

like is supposed to do. I could not ask for a better product or at better price

James

Campbell Hausfeld CHN10399AV 3/8-Inch to 1-1/4-Inch 18 Gauge Narrow Crown StaplerExcellent product! Performs very reliably - jams infrequently to not-at-all. Would recommend this stapler on a par with any of the more "popular" brands.

This Little beauty is way more than I expected. I've only had it a short time but it is seemingly well made, performs very well and has features like the depth adjustment for the amount of penetration into the wood, which allows for proper use on both soft and hardwoods, and a very ergonomic soft grip handle. I highly recommend it. I don't think that, for the price, it can be beat.

I am very pleased with this product. I used it very easily for installing carpet cove base on a remodeling project. Now that I have it , I have found many other uses for it. The product is good and the price was right. I reccommend. Edw.J.

This tool will serve it's purpose so long as you are willing to compromise quality for value. I already own a Stanley/Bostitch framing nailer, a DeWalt 15 gauge finish nailer, a Porter Cable 18 gauge brad nailer, and a Bostitch 23 ga. pinner, so I have some basis for comparison. I was disappointed with the Campbell Hausfeld in the following respects, even considering that it's a third the cost of the competition:



1. The case is flimsier plastic than the Porter Cable or DeWalt cases. When pressing the three allen wrenches to get them back in their special slots, the entire case lining compresses as if it were no thicker than a soda bottle. The gun does not quite fit down in the molded recess made for it. All hard cases are a problem in that there is not much room for fasteners, but the box of 1-1/4" staples that came with this one does fit inside.



2. There are no stampings on the tool. There is no serial number. The model number and "date codes" appear on adhesive labels that are applied after the fact, suggesting that perhaps this tool came off the line some factory in China that puts out no-name tools for several buyers to use their own name plates. Campbell Hausfeld does not list this model on their Web site.



3. The bottle of pneumatic oil that came in the case is extremely flimsy, and the top flew off when I tried to squeeze a few drops from the bottle (even after poking a hole in the nipple) sending 30 wt oil splashing across my workshop.



4. The depth of drive adjustment had to be set to it's maximum limit, and even at that not all of the staples were driven flush when driving the 1-1/4" staples that came with the tool through 1/4" birch plywood into 5/4 poplar. With a healthy 80 or 90 PSI from the compressor's regulator, all my other pneumatic fastening tools would countersink the fastener and the depth adjustment has to be backed away from it's maximum position.



5. The staples that came with the tool do not bear any brand name and do not appear to be galvanized like other brands.



6. The tool leaks air from around the trigger during and after it fires, which may be a cause of the power problem in #4. Unless CH will send out a new 0-ring repair kit I intend to return this tool.



On the plus side, it did come with a fitting for the air hose which is worth maybe $2.

While I was expecting a reasonably good tool, I was a bit surprised with the overall high quality of the tool. I believe it would win in a head to head competition with most of its more expensive competitors. - Staplers - Finish Staplers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information