Monday 29 November 2010

Cordless Drill - dewalt, drill


I'm a contractor and our company specializes in erecting condos so we are more than familiar with our power tools. When I first started my job I invested in this DeWalt drill since EVERYONE has one. After using it for a while I feel that it is not all that it is hopped up to be, the battery life sucks and I had to replace the battery after a couple months because it stopped holding its charge. After trying out others I would recommend Makita for the price and performance, also do stay away from Ryobi that brand of power tools is a joke (I would get it for my learning teen but not for professional use). DEWALT DC720KA Cordless 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver

As a matter of full disclosure, I am using this drill as a DIY homeowner on minor projects. This drill was my upgrade into the world of pro-grade power tools from a cheapo 14.4V Black & Decker drill. I upgraded primarily because I was frustrated by having to drill pilot holes for lag screws all the time due to the lack of power. Furthermore, my former so-called variable speed drill only had two speeds, namely 400 or 800 rpm, nothing in between so I was constantly stripping screw heads. After doing some serious research into Makita, Milwaukee, Hitachi, and Dewalt, I chose Dewalt. Why? Because of the power and construction of the tool. Dewalt uses its own measurement of torque (Unit Watts Out) whereas most other companies list max torque in ft-lbs. In my opinion, I best equate UWO to the amplifier rating in audio receivers. In receivers, many companies list their amplifier rating with only one channel driven. Rarely do companies list amplifier rating with all channels driven. UWO, to me, is Dewalt's real world sustained torque rating like all channels driven in an amplifier. So for this drill, although Dewalt lists it at 410 UWO, I think this probably equates to nearly peak torque of at least 450 ft lbs if not more. Also, I really liked the fact that Dewalt uses all-metal gears and it has solid magnet construction in its motor.



For whatever reason, although most companies have wholeheartedly embraced the Lion technology, Dewalt has chose to slowly move into it and, thus, still has a large portion of tools with NiCd batteries. I really debated about the whole NiCd v Lion thing. But really, for my purposes, I doubt I will be using the drill so much that I will use up 2 batteries. I really think having a back-up battery negates the charge time issue. Of course there's the weight issue, but again, for me, a difference in weigh of 6-8 oz is not a game breaker.



The closest drill to the DC720KA was the Hitachi DS18DSAL. Really solidly constructed drill with good power. Unfortunately, from a purely superficial standpoint, the Hitachi looks like a toy with the green molding. So I went with the Dewalt. In terms of real world performance, really happy so far. Was able to drill 2" long - 1/8" dia. screws into studs without a pilot, no problem. This sucker has power. Really like the LED light. The added heft of the NiCd gives the drill really good balance. Trigger felt right and was able to modulate speed very accurately (true variable speed!). I hope this review helps because other reviews just seem to spout off Dewalt sucks or "it's not lithium so it sucks" type comments.

I bought one of these about 6 months ago, used it and gave away to my brother in-law.

A week ago I bought a Ridgid R86007N which is identical to the DeWalt DC720KA except here is where the Rigid beats the DeWalt in all categories.

(1) Tested driving large screws into 2x4's The Rigid was able to sink the screw deeper with less effort.

(2) The Rigid is lighter by 1 lb. Less Hand fatigue.

(3) The Ridgid is more compact and smaller with more power.

(3) The Rigid uses a 18V Lithium-Ion Battery instead of a 18V Ni-Cad Battery. There no comparison between the Lithium-Ion which leaves a Ni-Cad in the dust. It has more power, lasts longer and takes shorter time to charge.

(4) The DeWalt has 3 or 5 year warranty. The Ridgid has a life-time Warranty.

For a manufacture to give a Life-time warranty speaks for itself in the confidence of quality in the product.

(5) There other minor advantages, but the con is, the Ridgid doesn't come with a Case. So I bought 2ea Husky cases for $9.98 a pair, while on sale.



Both the DeWalt and the Ridgid were on Sale for $99.00 ea. at Home Depot (2010 after Black Friday sale). I don't know how long the sale will last. Even though I have a workshop full of both DeWalt & Ridgid tools I feel one should give credit when credit is due.

This drill is exactly what I was looking for, small, relatively light, and has lots of power. The light onthe front is a great feature and the one handed chuck is great. It also uses my 18v XBR batteries as well...a nice feature if you are going to take it out somewhere.

The Drill is OK and my husband liked it OK. However, when I called the vendor and asked for specifics I was told it was a Lithium battery and on that basis I ordered it. When it came, it was a Nikad battery instead which is heavier. I was very disappointed. The drill itself is well made but I was not happy with the misinformation given me. I would not have purchased it if I had known. When I went back on-line to see what happened, I saw on the info sheet of the product that it said Nikad, but in the phone conversation in comparing various tools, I took good notes and I had specifically asked the rep if it was lithium which he said it WAS. Not good communication on his part or truthful. :( Service I would give only one star.

Bought this for my farmer/trucker husband who has no tools actually at the house because they're all on the truck or at the farm! Comes in super handy for all the curtains & pictures we've hung as well as putting together furniture, fixing bathroom fans, etc. Came with extra battery pack & carrying case: AWESOME! Great price too! - Dewalt - 18 Volt - 18v - Drill'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information