Tuesday 30 November 2010

Latest Generation Covers - kindle 3 covers, latest generation covers


I bought this as a way to protect my Kindle better than the other available silicone sleeves/skins, so it will be protected from things like dirty hands while reading outside (or snacking while reading), spills on the keys, things in my purse that could scratch the screen, etc. Also to provide a little bit of shock protection if the Kindle is dropped (though the material is pretty thin so I don't know if it would protect much against a drop).



The beauty of this product versus its competitors is that it covers all the buttons, and even the charging port (you can access both it and the slide button to wake up your Kindle through a very thin opening in the case), AND it covers the screen. When you want to read, you just open the flap that's covering the screen and it folds back and "buttons" onto the case. Then it buttons closed on the front when you're done.



I've been using it for a few days now and the only downsides I've noticed are: 1) That for some reason there is a small but significant gap around the edges of the flap when it's closed, instead of fitting closely and completely covering the opening. And, the part of the flap that "buttons" is so thin I'm concerned it might tear.



Overall I'm glad I found this and am happy with it.



Update 1/28/11: Still really like this thing. Though it does tend to attract little hairs & lint; not enough to put me off of the product but it would be nice if it didn't do that. I forgot to mention that I bought the aqua color, and it's not as garish as it appeared on my display (thankfully). But I do wish manufacturers would make silicone covers in colors beyond black and 6th-grade-girl-colors. A pale aqua or a pale pink, or a tasteful green or blue, or earth tones... M-Edge M-Skin for Amazon Kindle, Pink (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)

I bought this M-Edge M-Skin for two purposes: to protect my K3 in my purse, and for covering and thus protecting the keys from the letters wearing off as has been widely reported on the graphite kindle 3.



The first thing I noticed when I opened the package was the gorgeous aqua color. I was in love at first sight. The next thing I noticed and fell in love with was the feel, the soft, pliable, silicon feeling that made it almost fun to hold my kindle in my hand.



The picture shows the flap lifted up and over the top of the kindle. There's a clever button on the back side of the cover to hold the flap down. You can close the flap, thus covering (part) of the screen, and button it down using the little button at the top of the keyboard.



The skin covers the keys, but the letters are not printed with any kind of contrast, which may be a problem if you have eyesight issues. It was not a problem at all for me. There was no problem typing and using the keyboard and the keys with the skin on -- covering the keys was a huge reason I bought the skin to begin with.



But alas! Much as I loved this skin, there were two drawbacks that had me send it back. I wanted to be able to toss my kindle in my purse. The skin along the sides of the screen have a gap, significant enough that I believe smaller items from my purse would work their way inside and do some damage.



The second drawback goes hand-in-hand with the first, and that is that the screen flap does not completely cover the screen and stay down tightly. The flap leaves a small border of screen uncovered. When I took into consideration the uncovered portion of screen combined with the gap along with side, I decided there was not enough protection to carry it in my purse without putting it into another case or cover.



And for the price, I decided to send this back. Regrettably, because I really liked this product.

I am very happy with this cover for my 3rd gen Kindle. The case fits snugly and all the buttons work well with the cover in place. The material is the same as some items you might find in an adult's sleeping quarters if you know what I mean. The cover seems to give it some shock dampening ability, but I have no real experience with this and don't care to have. Before the cover was on, I was worried about bumping or introducing any shock into the device, after the cover, not so much. The material does have it drawbacks though, every little piece of lint, animal hair, and fuzz in the general area seems drawn to it like a magnet. The problem is solved with a damp cloth and with a couple of wipes it all disappears. the cover has a very sticky tactile feel which makes holding the Kindle a breeze, no slippage at all. The little strap that holds the cover closed seems fragile, but this material is pretty stretchy so it may be ok. The keyboard letters are pressed into the material and hard to read in the wrong light. I have had to remove the cover when typing in certain lighting. There is a slot at the bottom which permits access to the on/off button and power plug with no problems at all.

I am very hard on electronics. I am on my third Ipod from throwing them in my damp lunchbox and dropping them on the floor. My Kindle will end up taking the same abuse. I had thought of looking at a zippered cover somewhere local to see if the covered Kindle would fit in there. If it fits I would have a nearly indestructible setup.



Overall, I am a very happy consumer.



Pros:

Tactile, easy to hold material

Appears to have some shock absorbing quailties

With cover in place, all the buttons work

Gives added moisture protection

Easy to clean



Cons:

Sticky material holds onto everything piece of debris that touches it

Fragile looking strap

Cannot read letters on keyboard unless in bright light - Kindle 3 Covers - Latest Generation Covers - Kindle 3 Cover - Kindle Covers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information