Monday 29 November 2010

Ironman Watch - interval training, ironman


I've had various incarnations of the Timex Ironman watches over the years. They take a beating and have great functionality. To me, this model has about the best practical value overall, being rather feature-laden without being overcomplicated. One distinct value of this watch over the "sleek" and similar models, is that it does NOT have an integrated band. Sure, integrated bands look cool, but if you wear the watch daily the band will start to break down after about a year and then you have to send it back to Timex for a new band. Not so with this watch. New users will have to take a little time to figure out the various functions of the watch, but once you get the idea, operation is very logical. The stopwatch is great for training, having more laps at your disposal than you're ever likely to need, multiple timers and alarms, and two time zones. These are also useful for training, but also just useful in general life (moreso than you'd think). In all, a solid choice for a digital sports watch, and an excellent value considering Amazon's prices. Highly recommended. Timex Men's T5E231 Ironman 100-Lap FLIX System Watch

I've seen this watch in stores for $65. Bought it using my Amazon Prime for $43, free shipping, got it 2 days later. Its a great watch, especially the Flix system. It took me a short time to figure out the right way to flick my wrist to activate the light, but once I got it, it worked every single time. Besides the great features, its a good-looking watch also.

This is the fourth watch I've bought for running since I began to need reading glasses for near objects, and its the only one that solved all the problems aged eyes cause a runner. The FLIX option is fantastic and worked without a hitch, and is easy to see at night. The buttons are easy to see and work, and become intuitive within an hour of strapping the watch on, even while running. Its even fairly attractive, as digital watches go. Most important is that the numbers are large, clear, and easy to read even when running through the desert -- as an aside, if you ever get shin splints try offroad running, especially in deep sand: its easier on your legs, more effective as cardiovascular excercise and much more interesting. My only complaint (and its a small one) is that a digital compass would have been a nice addition for offroad runners, but I was able to fix that with a Suunto Clipper L Micro Compass (Luminous Bezel). Other than that this watch would get a five star rating, so if you run on the street, buy it.

This watch replaced a G-shock as my primary workout and everyday watch. I bought it primarily because I am now doing mostly interval workouts, both for running and in the gym, and wanted an audible indicator so I did not have to keep checking my watch.



PROS:

Decent-looking watch, except for the BOLD white-wall lettering on the band, but a Sharpie takes care of that. Numbers easy to see, controls easy to figure out and manipulate. Rubber strap does not absorb sweat or grab wrist hairs. FLIX feature very handy for night work, not overly bright. Light-weight, lower profile than typical G-shock.



CONS:

1. Weak chime - hard to hear over any noise.

The roads I'm running are reasonably quiet, aside from the occasional UH-60 helo flying over or diesel honey-truck going by, so most of the time I can hear the multi-tone chime signaling end-of-interval, but have missed it when a vehicle is passing by. Fugedaboudit if you're in a typical loud gym with music, cardio machines, TVs, and the grunters and plate-slammers, or your own mp3 player, Creative Zen Stone Plus 2 GB MP3 Player (Black).

2. Will NOT work for Tabata Intervals of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest, repeat 8 times. I set INT 1 at 20 seconds, INT 2 at 10 seconds (REPEAT at end), then DONE. At end of first 20 sec interval the watch gives only the faintest "pip" before going into interval 2 - practically impossible to hear if you're involved in any intense cardio exercise. After a little experimenting I discovered that if the second interval is set below 15 seconds you'll only get that 'pip,' otherwise you get a more noticeable "ditty-dee, ditty-dee" signaling the start of interval 2. DOES give a very noticeable 10-second chime at end of interval 2 as it recycles to 1 and repeats.

3. Menu lag time. There's an annoying 3-4 second lag when switching to the CHRONO mode before you can press START. Does not seem to affect other modes. I'm impatient, and switching between CHRONO and INTERVAL modes while working out or running should not cost me time.



I might buy this again for a running watch, but for my primary workouts (RossTraining.com) I now use the awesome $20 Gymboss Interval Timer clipped to the band of my Ironman watch, set to VIBRATE 1-second between intervals. GYMBOSS does Tabatas perfectly! Train Hard!

I've had Timex watches for years and thought this new "flix" enabled watch would be just the right upgrade when my last one died after 4 years and got my parents to buy me one. Not so. First I had one die about 2 months after I got it, at the beach the second I got in the water. I thought, oh that must have had a bad coating or something, and since it was a gift and I didn't have the proof of purchase or any of the stuff to get a warranty replacement, I just went ahead and bought a new one of the same model. It lasted 2.5 months. Timex replaced that one with a new one and it died again about a month and a half later. The Flix system seems to make it way less sturdy than the other Timex watches (or at least how they used to be) so that even ordinary arm motions can make the whole thing become unresponsive and then just lock up or die. I'm a geology grad student and I need to have a trustworthy watch that I don't have to take off when I go and do field work, but if these watches can't even handle me sitting at a desk, they're junk. - Timex - Sport Watch - Ironman - Interval Training'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information