Sunday 28 November 2010

Ink Cartridge - ink cartridge, printer ink


Just an FYI; the ink set shown here (CLI-8BK, CLI-8M, CLI-8C, and CLI-8Y) also match what's needed in the Canon PIXMA MP530, save for the Canon PGI-5BK 2PK (sold separately). (As of this writing, the MP530 is not listed in the compatible printer list, though the MP500 is. Considering how confusing all this typically gets, I thought I'd mention it.)



Price is great; even better if you're with Amazon Prime (free 2-day shipping and inexpensive overnight shipping). Canon CLI-8 4-Color Multipack Ink Tanks in Retail Packaging

To correct an earlier reviewer, the bundling of these inks IS APPROPRIATE. I have a Canon Pixma MP830 and it uses the 4 CLI-8 cartridges along with the 5PGBK. You do not have to buy the bundle if your particular printer does not use the 5PGBK. Anyway, I checked all the major suppliers for genuine Canon cartridges (versus compatibles) and Amazon's price beats them all, especially with free shipping and no sales tax.

[Bordering on the ridiculous: 6/08 and Amazon is selling this 4-color pack for two dollars less than the 3-color (which omits Black 8). I've already accumulated 5 spare Black 8s from previous 4-pack purchases.]



I've discovered that the inconvenience may outweigh the few dollars saved by purchasing the combination pack. My Cyan and Magenta cartridges lasted only 4 weeks and 6 weeks respectively while the others are still going. Purchasing more combination packs would have resulted in a backlog of unused ink. You might order the package now and then (I wish it included Black 5 ink), but given the staggered depletion of ink cartridges, it frequently makes more sense to order the single cartridge. Moreover, the combination of Amazon's one-click ordering and no-postage Prime membershp makes it no less practical for the consumer to order individual cartridges as they expire (though I'm sure Amazon prefers to send out large quantities in the same order).

Before you install new ink cartridges, let the old ones completely run out, let the software indicator turn red. Otherwise Canon's software will not recognize that the tanks have been replaced and will continue to indicate your out of ink.

One reviewer suggested this bundle includes a PGBK ink tank, but it doesn't. (That would have been a screaming deal!) So if you own the PIXMA MP800R, you need to buy the PGI-5BK ink tank in addition to this bundle. Otherwise, this is a good deal. Even though I used "free" shipping from Amazon, they arrived in about 4 days.

Just wanted let people be aware that there appears to be a batch of these ink tanks where Canon has the wrong chip on the ink tank. This is causing the following error: "U071 - More than one ink tank of the following color is installed." I contacted Canon and they wanted $$$ to troubleshoot and would not send me a new ink tank. Also I bought the ink tanks from Amazon over 30 days ago and could not get a refund. I've used these before and didn't have a problem. But I would recommend that you try your ink tanks immediately so that you can still get a refund if there is a problem.

ALL printers eat ink and that's a fact. This bundle does not include the big black ink tank. Know that anywhere you go (office supply, whatever) this is how it's packaged by Canon. I have checked all the local office retail outlets and these babies run $15-$20 more plus gas and aggravation. I personally like the convenience of being able to get the colors separately rather than in one cartridge as was the case with my old printer (if you use one color more than the rest, the whole cartridge is shot). This is practical for me, and those that print in limited color ranges in large quantities (I do alot of brochures, biz cards, etc).

If you're printing alot of photos (high ink saturation) you will fly through cartridges like crazy no matter the brand. I don't so mine last longer than usual. I have also purchased an ink saving software that has helped tremendously with savings.....you may want to consider that. The initial investment has paid for itself many times over. My prints still look great regardless.

I appreciate the way Canon divides the ink because I've tossed too many cartridges not only because of using one color more, but also because of error messages because of taking the cartridge out to "reset" the machine. Oh well, my old Dell printer deserves to be launched off a 12 story building!

Anyhow, consider software to save your ink if you print alot for biz purposes like me. Also, consider what you are saving by printing your own photos versus traditional photo processing and you might change your mind. Fact of the matter is, printers eat ink...and to the person who compares these small cartridges to a huge laser toner tank I can only say "get real"! Laser printers are much more expensive to operate, and are not practical for everyone.

I have been very happy with my Canon Pixma printers. I currently have one in my office and one at my home office. I bought my office machine last summer. Then, this past winter, when my HP printer at my home office died, I replaced it with a Canon, as well. I've broken off my long term relationship with HP and have never looked back. Not once. While I recognize this is not a review about the printers, the fact remains that the printers are worthless without the ink. One thing I like about the Canon pixma ink cartridges is that they are priced significantly lower than the cartridges I purchased for my HP. The reason is simple: Instead of one color ink cartridge, there are 3 color cartridges. When the yellow runs out, simply replace the yellow. In the long run, this ends up being a lot more economical. Additionally, the print head is installed in the printer itself, not in the individual print cartridges, which also saves money. The CLI-8 4-pack is the best way to purchase these cartridges and I have not found a lower price than that offered at Amazon.com. I hate running out of ink, so I keep a couple packages on hand. When I am running low, I place an order online. Shipping and handling are free, there is no sales tax, and the price can't be beat. And yes, I am thrilled with the print quality of my Pixmas. I'm a Realtor. I print MLS sheets, letters, marketing materials, glossy brochures, and even post cards in limited quantity. I am particular about the quality of print and have been more than satisfied with the cartridges and printers. Only once did I have a problem with an ink cartridge. I kept receiving an error message telling me that the wrong tank was in the printer. I kept taking it out and putting it back in, turning the printer off, then on again. (Did the hokey pokey and I turned myself around....) Finally called Canon only to find out that the print cartridge was defective. They sent me a new one, so I can't really complain. Canon printers and ink ROCK! - Ink Cartridge - Canon Printer Ink - Printer Ink - Canon'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information