Monday 29 November 2010

Decaffeinated - tea, cinnamon tea


During the summer months, I enjoy iced tea and prefer to make sun tea because it's so darn simple & energy-efficient. But finding tea that does well in the sun is difficult. The regular teas (black, green, white) become bitter when left standing too long, not surprisingly a requirement for sun tea. The herbals (fruits, chamomiles, mints) never seem to steep well in the sun and are generally bland & lack-luster. But this tea ... ah, heaven. Deep, robust, sweet, well-rounded. Personally, I think it is better as a sun tea than steeped the traditional way with hot water.



This tea steeps well in morning or afternoon sun. I always use glass (never plastic) and 6 bags for about 1.5 quarts. Makes a fantastic tea in 3-4 hours, and letting it sit for a couple more hours produces a tea that definitely needs to be watered down. Needs no sugar, no lemon. Perfect as is. Awesome, just awesome. I wouldn't go a summer without it.



I pick it up at Trader Joe's, and occassionally I find it at Target and Wal-mart. Nevertheless, considering that shipping is included in a subscription, Amazon's S&S price is fair and on-par with B&M retail outlets. Good Earth Original Caffeine Free Tea Bags, 18-Count, Boxes (Pack of 6)

I just received a shipment of this tea (6/24/10) and notice that on the Amazon info lists the third ingredient as "Artificial flavor", but the listing on the box says "Natural flavor" and specifically states there is no artificial flavor in it. So, don't be put off by the Amazon listing or reviews that used that as a source for their review.

I used to get this tea when at a Good Earth restaurant in California; sadly, they are no more. I was very happy to find it at Amazon. I make iced tea mostly. Very refreshing and I can drink it in the evening as it's decaf.

First, to the Natural/Artificial concerns - it really does say Natural Flavors in the ingredient list, NOT artificial as some of the reviews state. Box also states "No sugar, caffeine, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives". I've submitted a picture of the ingredients list to Amazon, which you can view at the top of this item page.



Ingredients list:

Red Rooibos, Chicory Root, Natural Flavor, Rosehips, Cinnamon, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Papaya, Chamomile, Panax Ginseng Leaves, Anise Seed, Dandelion Root, Ginger Root, Orange Oil, Orange Peel.



I was given my first box of this tea by a friend who knew I liked cinnamon tea. Up to that point, my favorite tea was Celestial Seasonings' Bengal Spice. But when I tried Good Earth, I fell in love! Now I cannot find it anymore in any of the local stores that carried it, so I signed up for the regular shipments from Amazon.



Everyone I have shared this tea with tell me how much they enjoy it, that it hardly seems possible for tea to have such intense flavor and not need sweetening. I have to be sure to get some before my husband & kids finish the box without my getting a chance to have a few myself! Seems like every time I visit my mom now, she makes up some of this for us to share as some iced tea.



I do not use any sweetener, which says a lot because I use sweetener with pretty much every other kind of herbal tea I drink. Good Earth is great hot or cold, and it sure does give my tastebuds a gingerbread-like warmth on a fall or winter morning. There is no tea-ish, bitter taste or aftertaste.



If you love cinnamon, gingerbread, or a really good caffeine-free tea that doesn't need sweetening, give this one a try!

I found this tea originally at Trader Joe's before my local store stopped selling it. I was relieved to find it on Amazon! This is one of my favorite teas that I can drink every day. It is a sweeter tea that has a nice zip to it, but I don't find it too sweet. One thing I particularly love about this tea is that it continues to taste great no matter how long I leave the bag in. When I am working at home, I often make a large mug with one bag and then keep reheating and refilling throughout the day as needed. This makes it not only a nice addition to my day but very economical:) The fact that it's a bit sweet helps keep down any post-meal "dessert" cravings.

I LOVE this tea and am so glad Amazon carries it as it is hard to find in the stores. The one place I know that carries it is way more expensive than buying it online.

Great herbal tea that is strongly cinnamon and naturally sweet. I don't need to add any sweetner to this. I also find the tea bags go a long way. I only use 2 for a large saucepan full of water. I find the taste is somewhat addicting and I find regular tea boring after drinking this.

This is truly a great tea! It's caffine free. You don't have to add anything to make it better, and it's incredibly soothing! Stock up! I usually would get this at the grocery store, but they were having a hard time keeping it stock. A couple days was one thing, but when it went on to a couple of weeks I had to do something! So I ordered online. Now I have a back up reserve - it's that good!!



I take the individually wrapped tea bags with me wherever I go - friends, meetings, even restaurants. Quite often the aroma wafting outwards will prompt someone to ask me about it. I love that - I'll tell them about it and then I always try to have an extra or two to give out. Waitresses are always asking me about it, and I always offer one to them.



If you enjoy cinnamon and warm spices like that, you'll definitey enjoy this tea! And with no caffine you can even enjoy it late at night too!

Has anyone else noticed that the flavor seems to have changed in recent batches of Good Earth Original? I find it much "twiggier" for lack of a better descriptor, and not NEARLY as sweet and good as it was before. I'm going to buy another box to make sure that this isn't totally random, but this was the case with two boxes I bought, one of Original and one of Original Decaf. Other friends of mine have noticed this as well; I really hope they didn't change the formula because it is/was my favorite tea and I don't like what I'm tasting now! - Cinnamon Tea - Decaf Tea - Tea - Herbal Teas'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information