Saturday 27 November 2010

Backpack Rod


Unlike all telescopic rods, this one is a sensitive enough to be fished with. It has a decent quality, and the only warning I have for the future buyers is to assemble it tightly, otherwise it may fall apart during a strong cast. It happened to me once, but I was lucky having strong braided line, so I did not lose a fallen piece in the river. After I snugged it in more tightly, I never had a problem with it. When disassembled, it fits in the smallest backpack. The clear case is a bit tight, but it is needed to protect it from other objects in your backpack, and I also use rubber rings to secure pieces together.

The rod is strong enough to pull several pounds fish (or piece of wood, if you are less lucky) with some precautions.

Overall, you can't find better rod for the price! Don't buy those telescopic rods - you would not feel a single bite! Shakespeare Medium Action Travel Mate Spinning Rod (6-Feet 6-Inch)

I owned an older version of this rod for several years and had purchased a different make and model for my wife to backpacking. After two years of disappointment, I sought out the Shakespeare and to my delight it the same design as the one I have loved and fished with for serveral years. It has great action, easily assembled and for those who like to get away from the rest of the fishing public to find the good spots, this is a great rod to have along.

I have used this rod for many years. I pack it right in the bottom of my tackle box. So it's ready to go any where any time, long as it's Rocky Mountain beaver ponds fishing for brook and rainbow trout.

A common misconception about these rods, that I often hear from friends and family, is that these sectional rods often come apart when casting, well that has not been the case for me. I have never had a problem casting with this rod, or any other problems with it for that matter. But the part I love the most is being able to pack it down into my tackle box with very little effort.

I recently purchased two of these rods for a Wilderness Expedition to Manitoba, Canada with a Boy Scout troop. We traveled by canoe and the fact that this rod could be taken apart and put in a backpack was great. It was perfect for the type fishing that we did (Walleye, Northern Pike, and Small Mouth bass). I landed several large fish and was very pleased with the performance of this rod. This was probably the best gear purchase that I made! There were others in our party that tried to fish with smaller packable equipment but it didn't hold up to the environment or the size fish that we were after. I would strongly recommend this product for most any Wilderness Expedition.



Only drawback is the packaging that it is shipped in is not enough protection if packed and handled roughly (air travel/backpack in canoe). I made my own carrying case out of a 2.5" rigid cardboard mailing tube that I cut to length with a good wrapping of duct tape to protect from coming apart if it got wet and had no problems.

This rod packs easily into a carry-on when travelling. I use it when I travel to any coastal water as I love to surf fish. Packing this rod, a reel and some basic surf fishing tackle takes up minimal space. For travelling purposes, the rod action is quite acceptable. Good fishing!

this is the ideal pole for someone who travels. The only drawback might be that it might loosens up on a cast. I found the solution in using some electrical tape. The pole is responsive and stiff enough to feel a nibble.

Good rod. A little too much flex for my taste but good nonetheless. My only issue is that with all the pieces, if you don't periodically push the pieces back together, they come apart after several casts. This isn't an issue if you use the rod for bobber fishing or fishing off the bottom where you won't be casting repeatedly. Overall, I'm happy with this purchase.

I would rate the rod, itself, with 4-5 stars (considering the price), it is actually pretty stout and well built. However, the "case" that it comes in, is pathetic. I assumed that the case would provide some protection because the rod was designed for hiking, etc. But, it is extremely flimsy plastic, only good for a dust cover at best. It will not protect the eyes of the pole what-so-ever if you try to throw it in a pack. Still, with all that aside, it isn't a big deal to make a rod holder out of pvc, or buy one even, and for the money, you can't go wrong.

I'm going to the carribean and they rent fishing gear for 40 a day. This rod and a reel is all you need! I looked at tons of review threads and if somebody had a successful fish catch with the equipment I bought it- And like $15 is not hard to part with for a travel rod. Put it together and feels just as solid as a two piece does.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Backpack Rod Backpack Rod Backpack Rod