Tuesday 30 November 2010

Copper Bottom Teakettle - teakettle, cookware


Great kettle, fast heating. Without a fill-hole on the top, steam doesn't escape when pouring - a great feature. Easy to use pouring spout. The whistle fell off after 22 years of use and then it was a month after that the plastic melted because the whistle wasn't working and I wasn't paying attention. Easy to keep clean - wipe it off when wiping down the stove after cooking.

Oh! And the large size is great if you need to pour 3 qts of hot water down a sluggish drain!


My mother had this tea kettle for a couple of decades when I was growing up. I now have one that is 15 years old and it is working just as well as when I bought it. I use it two or three times a day, every week, every month, every year!



Like all workhorses, it gets pretty dirty but the stainless steel shines up very well.



I have also used its larger cousin and don't like it as well (if I remember correctly) because you can't turn-off the whistle.



Prior to buying this one, I owned three or four other brands and they all had problems -- like the handle getting too hot; a detachable whistle that got lost; it needs a trivet, steam comes out and burns your hand when pouring, etc. After an string of bad tea kettles, I remembered how well my mother's worked and I bought this model again. It might be the last one I ever buy!



It has _one_ flaw: you can accidentally overfill it so that it spits water when boiling.



This is easy to do, since you can't see how full it is when filling. An easy solution is to fill it full and pour about a cup out. Or just don't fill it very full.



Since this one flaw is easy to compensate for, I'm still giving it five stars.


Revere Copper Bottom Teakettle


I've owned this model kettle nearly 20 years. Looks like it's been through WWIII but does what it does well without being pretty. Heats water fast. Small size great for two 10oz mugs of tea. Other reviewers talk about water spitting out and the hot handle. Yes, it does both of these but if you don't overfill it it won't spit water (suggestion: get a bigger kettle if you want to boil more than 25oz). Yes the handle gets hot but only when the kettle is used to boil on high heat. Part of the issue with the hot handle is that the bottom is so small that when I put my gas burner on high the flame spreads out beyond the bottom of the kettle . I usually put my gas burner on half to two-thirds heat and then the handle doesn't get hot. Frankly, the copper bottom is so efficient you can boil nearly as fast on lower heat anyway. One thing I don't know but would like to hear from someone who recently purchased: is this still made in the USA? Mine from the 1980's was. If not, I wonder about the quality of today's model.


We have just entered our nineties. We are living in and sharing the kitchen in our daughter-in-law's home. They are heavy users of hot shower water in the morning. I am an early riser and need to wash my breakfast dishes without competing for that hot water. I went to a superstore and bought a teakettle. Took the best one offered in the 3 and 3/4 quart size. It failed miserably in weeks. My daughter in law then tried to help me out by going to a store and buying a better model. It, too, failed miserably. From our own married life with 8 children, I KNEW what model would actually win out, so I found it on Amazon.com. It is the Revere model which Peg and I had on the stove all our married life. It is a dream to use. It will not fail. I do not have to put a mitten on my hand to pick it up when I hear it boiling, and I DO HEAR it boiling!



The only downside is the computer order process. I tried to buy ONE, but the little box jumped to THREE, and I could not back out, so I own three. The one empty box and the two full boxes sit in my room as a reminder of how not to use the computer order process. I am too embarrassed to send a picture, but must admit the shiny copper bottoms in the see-through boxes are quite photogenic.


had my previous Revere 3-1/2 Qt teapot of the same model for more than 30 years.I'm sure it would have outlived me, except that I carelessly let it boil dry, damaging the plastic parts.Even with that,the pot itself was still tight and leak-free.Shipping: It must have gone out the same day I ordered it. I only live about 40 miles from the shipper,but 2 days from ordering for minimum-price Ground is not shabby at all.



Overall: This is the "Gold Standard" We're all looking for in E-Commerce.


I bought the 3.5 quart teakettle over 12 years ago and it is still going strong. This teakettle got me through college and let's just say I wasn't exactly easy on it over the years.

The whistle is surprisingly loud. You can't miss it, though it can be nearly deafening.

I've never had trouble with it drbbling or boiling over (unless seriously over filled). You can't really clean it but I mean you're boiling water in it. As long as you don't let the water sit in it for days you're fine. Yes, I have done that before and I just boiled a new pot and discarded it before making hot water for drinking.

It's not the prettiest kettle but it is functional and reliable.

- Revere - Cookware - Whisling Kettle - Teakettle'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • revere
  • ,
  • whisling kettle
  • ,
  • teakettle
  • ,
  • cookware