Sunday 28 November 2010

Camping Lantern - lanterns, coleman


I bought this lantern because it was small and I like the bright light these lanterns throw, and the coleman hiss for nostalgic reasons. The size difference between this and the larger dual fuel one wasn't clear to me, so I ordered that by mistake first, and returned it at small cost. I like the idea of a case to protect it, anyway.



The first time I used this one, it worked fine. It doesn't throw a blinding light, but a fully satisfying one -- good for its size, I'm not disappointed. Packing it out in the case was the problem; it worked well to the car, but back to the house the bottom fell out, the lantern dropped and broke both the glass and the mantels. I think the sides of the plastic case got compressed in the car packing and that's all it takes to release the base. I'll replace the parts at unknown cost and I'll think twice before I carry it again. Coleman Two-Mantle Dual Fuel Lantern with Hard Case

Great Lantern, had it up and running within 10min of it arriving. Only negative is the case has a real flimsy locking mechanism. Every time I carry it in the case I feel like I'm just waiting for the bottom to fall out. I think it's made more to protect the lantern in storage then for actually carrying it around, despite the handle.

I have been using battery operated lanterns for years and hate spending lots of money and using very toxic batteries in the wilderness, so this is a great alternative with cheap energy source (gasoline).

Just got back from a camping trip where I used this lantern and case. At first, I thought I might have made a mistake in buying this lantern over the Coleman Powerhouse lantern after I unpacked it. It's on the small compact size and I was hoping that it wouldn't be underpowered. It definitely didn't disappoint! It easily lit up our campsite and then some, and since it's compact, didn't take up a lot of room for packing and storing in my garage after we were done. The light is a lot warmer looking than an LED or flourescent lantern and doesn't blind you. The case doesn't really latch tightly on the bottom, I wish they had a better latch system to be more secure. It feels like the bottom might drop out if you were to carry it without holding the bottom. Overall, very satisfied and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a bright, economical camping lantern that will last.

This lamp is wonderful! It cranks out the light just like the ancient one my father had while I was growing up when we went camping. The only problem is the way Coleman designed the case the lamp is protected in. The way the case closes at the base makes it extremely vulnerable to opening up on you and the lamp sliding out while carrying it (as described by previous reviewers).



In my opinion the flaws in the case design should not keep you from ordering the lamp and case set. I use a strip of duck tape across the bottom or a small "Bungie Cord" looped to the handle to hold the base on securely. Hopefully Coleman will check these reviews and redesign the case closure to alleviate the problem of unexpected opening. The lamp is traditional Coleman Quality and worth the purchase! I recommend this lamp and case set.

This is a great lantern, have an older model that is still in use and works great after 19 years. Had to buy another one as the price was to good to pass up, and it is still made in the USA. Highly recomend this lantern for camping or power outages. The liquid gas is much better than propane bottles as it last twice as long as my friends propane.

Good quality lantern. I would buy again but I wish it was a little brighter. If you want max brightness, check out the powerhouse. The main reason I got this one over the powerhouse was the case, which I do like. Just make sure it's latched correctly or it WILL fall.

This is a solid little lantern. It puts out plenty of light and is well constructed although it's a little smaller than I expected. The dual fuel feature is a big plus. One item on my wishlist is the Coleman 295A720T Reflector, Lantern to help redirect the light.



Initially I thought the plastic carrying case was unnecessary since the lanter comes in a good box for storage. However, after our first weekend of using it we had some rain. The box would have been ruined. The downside to the plastic case is that you cant put the lantern in it while it's still hot. After it was time for bed I had to wait for it to cool down (in the rain) before I put it in its case. A vented metal case would be much better. As far as the complaints about the case not latching properly, I can see why it could be an issue. You have to carefully snap the hooks completely in place or the bottom may fall out. This wasn't an issue for me. I can see the snaps wearing out after some use though and maybe some of the case come with bad latches.



If you are looking for a good lantern this may be it.

I got this lantern for Christmas, and I love it. It is EXTREALY robust! The quality is very good (made in the USA). The light it gives off is very bright, so I don't see why you would want to get the PowerHouse lantern (the next size up). If you did you may damage you eyes!



The heavy-duty plastic cover protects the lantern very well. Other reviews said that the bottom piece often disconects itself from the top handle, sending the lantern to the floor and you out shopping for more mantels. Either Coleman has fixed the latch or the reviewers missed something. The latch work fine for me. You have to pull the tab over the other tab fot it to work. If you don't physicly make sure the tab is in, then yes, your lantern will fall to the floor. - Camping - Lantern - Coleman - Lanterns'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information