Tuesday 28 December 2010

Cisco Router Serial Port - serial adapter, usb to serial


I had to load the XP drivers off the included driver CD, but otherwise, this adapter works perfectly fine. PROS:I had searched high and low for such an adapter so the fact that it exists is a big plus. The other plus is that it works perfectly fine. I think nearly all of the USB to serial adapters out there require you to load some type of driver first. Also, this driver has a blue light (maybe an LED?) on it to let you know it's hooked in properly. The light didn't go on at first, but did once I loaded the drivers.CONS:The connection is very slow --- 9600 bps. I'm not sure if this is specific to this adapter or to all USB/Serial adapters.My other complaint is that the driver put the adapter on COM port 9 (COM9) for some reason. I had to go under control panel and change it to COM1 before the adapter worked. Cables To Go 26886 USB To DB9 Male Serial Adapter, Blue (0.45 Meters/1.5 Feet)

This items works fine for me under XP Home on my laptop. Comes with easy to follow instructions and a CD with the drivers. The blue LED glows when connected, glows brighter when a serial device is connected, and flashes as data is transferred between USB and serial. I did quite a bit of research trying to find a USB to serial solution - I am very happy with my choice.

I use this adapter to connect my laptop (Compaq Presario with Window XP) with a Garmin eTrex vista GPS. A small problem, it only works with the MapSource software but not with Microsoft Streets & Trips. Microsoft Streets & Trips just won't find the GPS with any communication protocol including NMEA and RTCM. It is not a problem for me, because I purchased the MapSource software. For poeple who wish to use Microsoft's map (mostly for free, mine come with my new pc), you have to try with some other combination.

I originally bought an IOGEAR USB Serial adapter but after numerous attempts at installing drivers, changing Ports, searching for information on IOGEARS technical site, I gave up hope to get my Palm Vx connected to my new Windows XP computer. I decided to buy my second adapter (Cables To Go) after I read reviews from Amazon that this one DID work with XP. I got it and after some minor computer adjustments it works. And the information given with this Adapter is so much clearer then the IOGEARs one. I can finally HotSync. YES! I am very pleased.

Pros:

- Drivers work, windows recognizes device as a COM port, which was more than I expected



Cons:

- Have to manually install drivers, they say the CD will autorun - that is not the case, it is not even set up to autorun - you have to guess the directory and installation file.

- I was using this to program a PIC microcontroller, never had trouble via regular serial connection, switched to this and it burned out my PIC.



Conclusion:

- for more 'standard' applications this might work, but since it burned out my IC, there is clearly something that is not quite right with it. If you intend on doing anything that might not be mainstream with this, I'd look elsewhere.

The product works as desired. I'm using mine to up an download data to my Garmin V GPS.

.

It was necessary to use the provided drivers on CD (no big deal). Then, the unit errored-out numerous times until I set the baud rate to 9600. Worked then but too slow.

.

I then checked the throughput setting in the Device Manager and it was set to 9600. Changed it to 115000 and made the corresponding change in City Select (map program) and now I'm flying.

.

Advice for Andy Chen, check the baud rate on the port in the Device Manager, that should take care of your performance issue.

.

I'm happy

I purchased the adapter to connect my older GPS receiver with my Linux desktop. When I connected the adapter to my desktop, Linux immediately recognized it and assigned it a serial port device number. It also works well in Vista after installing the included driver. No fuss, no trouble.

My workstation does not have a serial interface. I was very happy to find this product and it works great for me. You do have to load the drivers as XP does not recognize the device without adding the vendor drivers, but other than that it is great. I have been using it successfully since 2004 and it is 2007 now. - Cisco Router Serial Port - Serial Adapter - Usb To Serial - Usb Adapter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • usb adapter
  • ,
  • cisco router serial port
  • ,
  • serial adapter
  • ,
  • usb to serial