Wednesday 29 December 2010

E-book Cases - kindle accessory, m-edge


UPS just delivered my M-Edge Executive cover for the Kindle 3 about an hour ago, and I promptly put it to work. I previously had the leather version of the Executive cover on my Kindle 2 and really liked it, so it wasn't too hard a decision to go with the new model. Functionally, it's virtually identical to the previous version. The tab used to keep it closed still works the same way - you can fold the front cover back and use the tab to hold it in that position, which provides a very convenient handle to hold while reading. I was really hoping there would be a leather version of this cover for the Kindle 3, but my wife emailed M-Edge and they said they were sticking with a synthetic material that was still durable and would help keep costs down. It does feel very close to leather (if someone insisted it was real leather you'd probably believe them), and the inner lining appears to be the identical suede-like material as in the previous version. Unlike the old leather cover, though, the new cover has a stiff spine piece very much like a hard-bound book, so the front and back covers fold at well-defined corners between the hard spine and the covers. The previous leather version had a soft spine that folded in more of a curve. The new system seems like it would provide a little more crush protection when closed, at least along that edge, and I think I actually prefer the new design. The fabric trim around the middle of the cover has a very nice feel to it, and helps provide yet another edge for your fingers to hold when either carrying the Kindle or reading it. I also ordered a new M-Edge Illuminator 2 light for the new cover and I'm glad I did rather than re-use the light from my Kindle 2, since the new light is almost 1/2" shorter than the old one (the old KIndle 2, cover, and light are going to be a gift to my wife's mother, so I needed a new light anyway). If I put the old light in the new cover it sticks out the bottom just a tad. I've also noticed that the stiff spine doesn't allow any flexibility for the hinge of the light to swivel up, so if you choose to use the light in that way (my wife doesn't) then you have to slide the light out of it's mounting sleeve about an inch. Again, it's not a problem, but it's a little different. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the little straps in the corners do an excellent job of holding the Kindle 3 snuggly in position without getting in the way of any of the controls. I have no fear at all of my Kindle 3 slipping out of this cover accidentally. I specifically wanted to avoid any covers that use the little mounting notches in the Kindle 3 because I don't trust the durability of that system.



Overall I am very happy with the new M-Edge Executive cover for the Kindle 3. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it's not genuine leather, which is a feature I would have gladly paid extra for and which would have resulted in a perfect 5-star rating. I really like the feel of the previous version of this cover, and I know how leather is going to wear over time. The new synthetic material feels almost as good (but not quite), and I don't know how well it'll actually hold up over time and use. If I could give 4.5 stars I would. Also, if I notice anything significant that affects my opinion after I've had a chance to live with the new cover for a while I'll post an update. M-Edge Executive Kindle Jacket, Purple (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)

I'll just re-post this here, as the review is as much about my M-Edge cover as it is about the M-Edge light. Comparison of the M-Edge to Amazon's lighted cover below the fold.



I've had my Kindle 3 since September, and I've already read more that I used to on my old Kindle 1 (now retired to a backup device). I was an early adopter of the 1, and it came with an Amazon cover (which after a week, I customized with white velcro.. still works well to this day).



The Kindle 3, obviously, came without anything, and after carrying it around, I grew more nervous about what would happen if I dropped the thing, and it landed on a corner, or if something heavy fell onto it while in my service truck...



... so when I spotted an M-Edge executive cover in a local shop, I was able to test it's fit & finish before purchase. I loved it, even though this would be the 3rd cover I purchased for my K3.... the first being a simple nylon zipper cover, the 2nd being a Speck-brand cover, and now the M-Edge (bright purple, to be easy to spot among clutter... <grin>).



Although I liked the Speck cover (red), and I loved it's built-in bookstand, it was too bulky-- I suspect it was simply a reworked Kindle 2 cover-- there was simply too much excess cover between the plastic cradle (that held the K3) and the actual cover itself.



The clincher for me buying the M-Edge was the light I could get to go with it. In fact, I purchased the M-Edge light first, and used it for several days with the Speck cover.... it worked well enough with it wedged between my K3 and the ABS plastic shell that cradled & held the Kindle. But it was not tucked neatly away when closed, and I was afraid the lovely little light might get snagged and lost. At $20, I was not casual about losing it, either.



So I got the M-Edge executive cover, which has a place to hold the light between the spine and the Kindle. The M-Edge was thinner when closed than my Speck cover, another plus. I especially liked the M-Edge exectutive's closing strap, keeping my K3 and my light securely in place when closed.



The light is quite bright-- too bright to look at directly for long, even with the dim setting. It uses a single AAA battery, available anywhere, which I consider a plus. There is just room at the spine in my cover for a spare battery, which I will do as soon as I can come up with a way to keep it there securely (Take note, M-Edge-- a pocket for a spare battery in the spine would be a real plus-- say a loop of elastic sewn in?).



I'm still on my first battery, after using the light several times for reading in darkened restaurants-- my favorite pastime, reading my K3 and eating. :)



The light has to have some sort of circuitry in it, to keep full-bright even after several hours of use-- and indeed, no LED lamp can run on less than 4 volts, so there must be some sort of voltage amplifier, to boost the 1.5v from the AAA. I have any number of LED flashlights, including industrial and professional ones costing $60 and more, and this little M-Edge is made as well as those, for the task it was created to do-- light up books for reading in dim light. I suspect it will keep the light on, until the AAA is dead-flat-- as many of my better flashlights (those with circuitry) do. There's no warning, either--no gradual dimming of the light output, just suddenly it won't light. I expect that from this little gadget, but as I said, I've yet to run it out. I'll report again when I do.



Strongly recommended as a general reading light, and especially with the M-Edge executive cover (also available from Amazon, as well as more and more frequently in local shops).



I would point out, that M-Edge markets a fairly wide range of covers, including several that put the light into an external pocket. While the light's little tab fits snugly into it's pocket, I, for one, would not be happy with an external pocket while carrying and/or traveling. I'd be afraid I'd snag the light and lose it. I'd look for an external zippered pocket, or a larger, over-cover in that case.



..........



One more thing I will add: A close friend of mine also has a K3. He also purchased a cover--only he opted for the Amazon's official lighted one. We got to visit last night, and compare the fit and finish of each of our purchases.



His official Amazon cover is a teensy bit thinner when closed, and certainly not as wide (mine needs the room to stow the light when folded down along the spine). The height for either is the same, and the weight of each is too close to tell without instruments. The Amazon's light was elegant-- it turns on when extended, and the K3 is not asleep, then politely shuts off when you do put the K3 to sleep. But, I do not like the notion of the light draining the K3's battery; some consider that a plus, but I do not. The M-Edge's light uses it's own battery, and I suppose if you wished, you could opt for rechargeable AAA's... these are as common as dirt nowadays. If someone ever produces a LiIon rechargeable in AAA form-factor, they will have a sale. I remain unimpressed with NMH and even less interested in NiCd rechargeable AAAs... 1.2 volts is too low to start. I've not had good luck with rechargeable alkalines either, so it's disposables for now.



The clincher for me going the M-Edge route against Amazon's cover (the price was the same) was the holding method between each design. Amazon opted for the (to me seriously flawed) little metal hooks at the edge of the Kindle device. Amazon's engineers came up with this kludge (as far as I'm concerned) with the K2 and the DX models, and carried it unimproved to the K3. A plastic shelled device (all Kindles) has no business trying to keep in place with tiny metal hooks at the very edge. The forces are too great, and easily breaking the shell is a distinct possibility.



My M-Edge holds the K3 by 4 corners, with color-matched, covered elastic loops. It holds it quite securely-- I tested it over my bed by holding the cover open and giving it a hard shake-- the kindle wiggled a tad, but never came close to dislodging--- perfect.



If you consider the forces involved in a dropped kindle? The elastic is perfect-- the initial shock is taken by the cover against the hard floor. As the forces are transmitted up through the cover, it must pass through the elastic bands--which will absorb more force, before the kindle itself strikes the floor. By that time (hopefully) the energy is low enough, that the Kindle emerges unscathed.



My whole point of having a cover, in the first place... - Kindle Reading Lights - M-edge - Kindle Accessory - Kindle 3 Covers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information