Friday 31 December 2010

Firewire 800 - adapters, firewire 800 to 400 adapter


This adapter makes my old firewire 400 external hard drives work on my new macbook pro (which only came with a firewire 800 port). Just plug it all together and everything reads/writes/transfers just fine. No problems so far. It also works for my mini-DV video camera's firewire cord. Basically any firewire 400 cord you have becomes usuable again with the new macbook pro. I like it. Micro Accessories FIR-1369-AD-01 400 to 800 FireWire Adapter

I'm happy to see that this item has worked for others but it doesn't work for me. Tried plugging in a 400 hard drive and DV cam. Neither worked, but both work with my old machine with 400 ports. Trying to find out how to exchange it but of course Amazon doesn't make that part as easy.

This is a slick little adapter that works as advertised. The transition between 400 and 800 is a little bulky for closely spaced ports (such as the MacPro), so you might not be able to cram two onto your system; better to use this to connect to a FireWire 400 hub (like this one, though I haven't used that particular model) and then use that to connect your other FireWire 400 devices.



My one tiny wish is that it had a small LED to indicate that data was moving through it; it would speed connection diagnostics a little.

I'm not sure why I'm writing a review for this. It's not like an adapter has any real functionality or cool attributes. It either works or it doesn't. This one does what it's supposed to, so I guess I'm content. - Firewire 800 To 400 Adapter - Adapter - Adapters - Apple'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • adapter
  • ,
  • firewire 800 to 400 adapter
  • ,
  • apple
  • ,
  • adapters