Saturday 25 December 2010

Swimming Goggles


I've used Speedo goggles for over 35 yrs. I like to swim at least a mile a day. These goggles were bought to replace my old day-use goggles.



Pros: The sun does not blind me doing the back stroke (important not to miss the mark and avoid wrist/head injury). Glare is completely gone. After changing the nose piece, the goggles don't bother me (even after a mile). The 2.0 Plus has better "side view". I can stay focused on the line and still see things to my side.



Cons: Do not use at night or low light. That's why I have two pair.



Neutral: Can't say anything about the anti-fog. I spit in my goggles and masks.



I give these goggles a 5 because they do what I expected them to do during day hours. My other pair is used at night. Speedo Vanquisher 2.0 Plus Mirrored Goggle, Black/Silver

These goggles are hands-down the single most comfortable pair of goggles I have ever worn. They are soft, fit my eyes perfectly, never leave me with raccoon eyes, and are really comfortable. Not "not discomfortable", actually comfortable. They don't leak at all. They are really dynamite, I never even bother to take out my contacts when I swim with these.



They would be a perfect 5/5 stars, except that they fog so, so much, more than any other pair of goggles I have ever owned. They fog unbelieveably quickly, and refog very soon after rinsing. I bought three pairs. The first lasted not quite an hour (my normal swim length) before fogging up. In that time I had the clearest, best view I've ever experienced with any pair of goggles. But after that time, they would completely fog up by my second lap. I could rinse them and they would refog by the end of that lap. After three or four uses, I returned them to the store, exchanged them for a new set, and had exactly the same problem with the second pair starting with the second swim. I returned those, ordered a pair from Amazon, and had exactly the same problem on the very first use, so I infer that this is not a single bad batch but a common problem.



I swim in an outdoor, heated pool, but the air temperature can be anywhere from ~45/50 to ~75. I never touch the inside of my goggles, always rinse them before and after in fresh, nonchlorinated water, kept them in a case, follow all the good practices that are supposed to limit/delay fogging problems. I have been as good to these goggles as possible, and they still fog up. My cheaper, much less comfortable TYRs that I leave in my gym bag, which are scratched and sometimes leak a little, never fog, and so I have been using those more and more often. This is super frustrating, because they are so amazingly comfortable.

I've been a pair of the Vanquishers for a couple years now. I've previously owned the old version of the Vanquisher, but when I recently lost them, I decided to upgrade to the 2.0. These goggles have a very sleek design. I've been swimming competitively for a number of years (summer league, middle school and high school team), and the vanquishers have always been very reliable for me. They are very comfortable and have good suction so you don't have to worry about leaking or them flying off your head after a dive. Essentially, the vanquisher 2.0 is identical to the old model, except for superficial changes to the strap and, as advertised, 2.0 does have more peripheral vision...which I guess is cool... In the end however, I would recommend saving a few bucks and going with the old Vanquishers

I wanted to try a different pair of goggles. The Vanquisher 2.0 Plus Mirrored work well. I like the strap, and how well it keeps the goggles in place. The nose piece is difficult to change. The anti-fog work fairly well. The lenses are fairly comfortable, and form a good seal. However, the lenses are a lot darker than I expected, which would be fine if I am outside. I don't like the lack peripheral vision. The Speed Sprocket Mirrored have much better peripheral vision and are not as dark. Overall, the Vanquisher is probably better for everyday swimming and the Speed Sprocket is better for competition.

First of all, the "new two color double headstrap with ergonomic clip" isn't a good invention, at least not any better than the traditional strip shaped straps.

As to the mirrored thing, it works great when there is plenty of sunlight, but it will suck indoors, too dark.

Finally, it's not anti-fog, or at least the anti-fog doesn't last for more than three uses. It was anti-fog for the first time, but things went downhill after the second use.

very comfortable and well-built. Really nice that they come with different-size nose pieces. Seems a little hard to adjust the strap length. What I really didn't like is that it gets fogged easily. The pool I swim at is not always heated so I need to rinse with water every few laps.

I initially purchased these goggles with the "smoke" tint lens from another retailer. Although they worked perfectly, comfortable and no leakage, they just weren't dark enough for the outdoor pool on a sunny day. I then purchased these mirrored lens goggles from Amazon and find them to be perfect for outdoors use. When swimming the back stroke I'm often looking towards the sun and these make that comfortable, no squinting. They should be equally useful for indoor pools, but perhaps a bit dark. Overall they are perfect for me with nothing that could be improved upon.

The mirror coating works well. I can stare directly into the sun with them without having to squint, but where they sit on my face is extremely uncomfortable. The bottom of the glasses rest directly on my cheekbone, so when they're suctioned to my face (I do not have the straps too tight), they start to hurt after about 20 minutes or so.

I bought 3 pairs of these goggles. I'm from Vietnam, so I have Amazon to ship to one of my friend in Boston. I was looking forward to my friend for returning to Vietnam for nearly 1 months. But the more curious when receiving them, the more disappointed I am.



The first pair got foggy at the very first time. The 2 other pairs seemed to be so good at the first time, but also got foggy when I used for the second time. I followed all the guide in order to not compromise the anti-fog layer, but it appears not working at all. In addition, after I rinsed them in cold fresh water and let them dry, i found that there is a certain kind of powder lingered on the inside lense. Does anyone know what it it?

The only one star added is for the good-looking apperance of these goggles. So, totally disappointed of a worldwide brand name that I heard and put them belief.



Now I just wonder how to return these goggles back because I order them to ship to USA, but now they are in Vietnam. :(('


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Swimming Goggles Swimming Goggles Swimming Goggles