Monday 27 December 2010

Lifting Gloves - lifting gloves, weight lifting gloves


My last pair of leather and mesh training gloves where trashed, so I shopped around and decided to replace them with these gloves. The Harbinger 1260 gloves provide ample padding for protection and comfort while providing a solid grip. The nosweat (tm) lining wicks moisture away from the skin while the curved three quarter finger design fits more naturally, improving dexterity. The gloves are fastened in place with an adjustable wrist strap. Even though the gloves are partially constructed of leather, they can be hand washed to remove salt and oils. Washing with a mild soap and air drying will help the gloves to maintain their comfort, fit and will last longer.



My workout partner uses the Harbinger 143 gloves. Compared to the 1260, the 143 are simpler gloves with less material and padding. Since they sell for about the same price, the 1260 gloves are a much better value.



PROS:

Washable

Comfortable

Durable enough for rigorous strength training



CONS:

Sizing seems slightly small in comparison to other gloves. I can get my gloves on easy and they are comfortable. They are a bit of a challenge to remove though. The next size up is too big on me. Harbinger 1260 Men's Training Grip Gloves (Black/Charcoal, X-Large)

Boy have I had a hard time finding a pair of weight lifting gloves! My previous ones were simple leather Saranac gloves, not much padding but they lasted for several years. The leather eventually rotted out forming huge holes. But I can definitely say that the Saranac gloves were awesome.



Now onto the replacement. I tried four different types of gloves.



Harbinger 143

Harbinger 1260

Harbinger 1215 Big Grip II

GoFit Diamond-Trac



The Harbinger 143 gloves were OK. They didn't have too much padding, but fit very snug and were difficult to get off. Also, the fingers were short.



The Harbinger 1260 and 1215 were both unusable due to having too much padding in the palm and knuckle area. The padding is comfortable for pressing exercises (e.g. bench press), but makes it all but impossible to do pulling exercises (e.g. pull ups, curls, deadlifts, rows, etc.). You can try them yourselves, but save some money and take my word for it.



The GoFit Diamond-Trac gloves are the best of the bunch for my needs. They have a little padding in the palm, but not enough to interfere with your grip. They are lightweight, so I'm not sure how long they'll last, but I'll reserve judgment on that. They do make my hands sweat, because the neoprene on the back doesn't seem to breathe well. They run a little larger in size than the other gloves. Also, I like that they have a finger tab to help you pull off the gloves.



Please be kind enough to indicate if reviews are helpful.

I've owned three pairs of these so far, and they're easily the best gloves I've ever used. I had previously only used unpadded gloves, and the padding in the palm seemed a little thick at first. The padding does make it more difficult to get a solid grip in some exercise machines that also have large rubber grips on them (lat pulldown bars, for example), but that's the trade off for excellent support and protection when using the gloves on machines with uncovered metal grips.



I found these gloves to be more durable than the other non-padded Harbinger gloves I've worn. The gloves can be safely washed and air dryed, as advertised.



My only complaint with regard to wear is that the unreinforced leather where my thumb meets the padding in the palm seems to wear out before the rest of the glove. Every pair I have owned will eventually wear a hole in this particular area.

I'm 5'11 and I weight 215lbs and I wear an XL glove. I work out with a lot of free weights and I've always found that the bar is always too small for my hands and fingers to get a good grip. Now these gloves have a lot of padding to them which makes the bar feel larger. I wish I would of new about these things sooner but I use to think they were only for people who didnt like calluses. Not only does it make the bar feel like the right size for me but it give me the perfect grip throughout my rep. Also When bench pressing I sometimes role the bar when finishing my last rep and I havent felt any pain in my thumbs like I have in the past. I think wearing these will really save not only your skin but your joints in your hands and wrist by allowing you to get into a more natural and comfortable position on the bar. Hope this helps

I've been lifting for 30 years now (ouch) and have become very set in my ways. I used to say gloves were for girls - until I snagged a new sweater by putting my arm around my girl friend way back when - I finally relented, no, I wouldn't want those hands touching me either, so I started wearing gloves.



If you do a lot of heavy pulldowns/pullups, shrugs, deadlifts and such these will work great. 3/4 Finger Length gloves are hard to find, but you will get serious calluses just below your first knuckles without them if you go heavier on back days.



These may take a little while to get used to and feel a bit bulky at first but they do break in pretty well.



I also prefer no wrist-wrap built into the glove as I find them bulky and constricting. I prefer the option of using good cotton straps when needed instead (APT Ultimate Straps).



These are pretty much the only glove out there meeting my criteria at this time.



I have tried and destroyed a lot of cheaper gloves in short order over the years and have ended up settling on these. I have used the previous versions of this glove for about 10years now, they last me about a year and I lift 5-6 days a week. For the amount of use/abuse they are an decent value though the price may be a little higher than others. - Lifting Gloves - Weight Lifting Gloves'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information