Thursday 28 April 2011

Corded Rotary Tools


Let me say for starters that I haven't been a big Black/Decker fan for a long time(Black and Decker quit making tough power tools around 1990-1991).If I wanted a power drill currently....I'd buy a expensive/sturdy drill.Secondly,I've used Dremel 395 models for a long time,yes I've found them to be expensive but they do the job.So what could be better than a Dremel tool?A Black & Decker RTX-these are twice the motor power of a Dremel Tool,very well designed and comfortable to use(has a very nice rubber grip for extensive handling options during use),has a universal collet to except a massive range of dremel and aftermarket accessories(including a threaded section for the Flex Shaft),and a cool Flip Lock system to making changing bits a one-handed operation.Did I mention the RTX is half the price of a Dremel Tool.This tool is huge competition against Dremel,and my hopes for the RTX model is that it will become a main staple by Black/Decker and more advanced models will be released years down the road.Get a B&D RTX and save yourself some money :) Black & Decker RTX-B 3 Speed RTX Rotary Tool with Storage Case

This is my second Rotary tool. I used the first one for almost 5 years without a hitch. The tool did not break, I miss used it. I could not wait to get my new one. I am a mechanic in a welding shop, have a home handyman service and, make knives as a hobby. I use my Black and Decker almost daily. I have purchased more accessories for it than all my other tools combined. I look at projects with how I can use the Rotary Tool in mind.

This is an outstanding tool, cheaper and stronger than Dremel. The shaft lock defeats the power switch when applied, well thought out.

It is a variable speed even though there are 1,2,3, divisions. My only gripe is that awful cord that is showing up on many appliances.

It is permanently kinked. It causes trouble using and storing the tool. I have been replacing these cords on my tools with good quality wire,

the kind that used to be standard. These kinky cords are more trouble than "REBATES", which also cause me not to buy.

If manufactures want to make buyers angry, these kinky cords will do it every time!

This would be five stars except for the cheap cord.

I ordered this as a replacement for my Dremel rotary tool that died after using it for various art tasks 20+ years. I looked at Dremel's selections but didn't want to buy a whole kit, since I still have plenty of little bits, sanders, etc.



I only wanted the rotary tool itself, so when this one came up in my search I decided to buy it. The price and user opinions were big motivators.



So far I like this tool just fine. Noise is a little more than the Dremel... or perhaps it's simply a different pitch that I'm not used to yet. Although there are only three speeds on this Black and Decker tool, I really don't see a need for more. I like the thumb control for on-off better than the Dremel's variable switch on the side, which always felt a little awkward. The power cord on the B&D is slightly longer too, which I like.



One bit of advice if you're planning on using this with tiny drill bits like Dremel accommodates. You'll need to order a keyless chuck for this rotary tool, as the chuck that comes with the B&D only works with larger shafts. I simply robbed the keyless chuck from my old Dremel but if you don't have one, you'll need to buy it.

I still have and use my Dremel #245 and my Dremel cordless MiniMite 750, but after reading the other reviews on this black and decker I gave it a try and bought one. My Dremel 245 gets burning hot fast. Wow what a great alternative to Dremel models. My Dremel #245 would heat up tremendously after a short period of use. (Yes I checked the bushings on my Dremel 245 and they are still good on this unit). The black and decker with the 3 speeds was powerful and relatively not too noisy as well. It has a good feel to it, sure its only slightly more girth than a Dremel but the weight distribution and the rubberized plastic where you can hold it made it very comfortable in the hand. Black and Decker has a great alternative and it fits many of the Dremel accessories I have. I have yet to encounter one that didn't fit yet. I used it with my Dremel Chain Saw sharpening tool and it fits and screws on perfectly. Note the amazon description says storage case, its not a carrying case that comes with your Black and Decker, its a draw string black plastic pouch bag. The tool sort of fits in that bag. I guess to keep the cost down they opted to give you a pouch bag instead of a hard plastic carrying case, No matter. The tool itself is excellent. It has a 3 speed dial labeled L (12,000), M (24,000) , H (30,000) . Who needs more than that? I'm very happy with it. If you always had a dremel like me, give this black and decker a try and you will be surprised at the high quality of this rotary tool.

I bought the RTX because of the relatively low cost and its ability to accept the Dremel chuck# 4486. I use the tool for home maintenance and for my hobby of radio controlled sailplanes.



I like the continuously variable speed control. At the lowest speed it still has decent torque and works well for semi-precision machining.



With the Dremel chuck it makes a great hobby tool with quick tool changes.



So far, I like this tool a lot.

We just started using two of these in a manufacturing production application. Time will tell how long they last. But they work great so far. The design appears robust. The on switch at the top is really easy to use compared to the other brands we have that have the switch at the back. I noticed the 2amp motor doesn't bog down like the dremels we also have. The only price you pay for the power is that it feels heavier. No overheating problems for us when running on the medium setting. If these two continue work well we will get a couple more. Can't beat the price either.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Corded Rotary Tools Corded Rotary Tools Corded Rotary Tools