Friday 29 April 2011

Under Counter Tv - kitchen tv, small kitchen tv


I purchased this unit to replace a previous Audiovox unit that failed after 2 years. While I preferred not to get another Audiovox due to that experience, there are not a lot of alternatives for an undercounter unit. I considered the Sony much too bulky, and the Philips unit only comes with the iPod slot which I don't want and consider annoying, so it's Audiovox again. After 3 weeks, I am satisfied with the unit. It is much sturdier in construction than the previous unit, and the design is sleek and handsome. The controls are well laid out and intuitive. Picture quality is only fair (using an analog cable input), but acceptable. When viewing a DVD, picture is actually very good, but who watches a DVD in the kitchen? Sound quality is also fair, about what I expected at this price (this is NOT a premium sound system).



Installation was easy, but I installed under a cornet cabinet, or it would have been a challenge. Who knows if this unit will last longer than the previous unit's 2 years, but at half the cost of the Sony, it seems worth the risk. Audiovox VE927 9-Inch LCD Drop-Down TV with Built-In DVD Player and Clock Radio

I have previously owned a portable Audivox DVD player for my car, which gave me all sorts of problems and Audiovox stopped supporting after only 3 years (in other words, they wouldn't repair at any price). Thus, I entered into this purchase with hesitation. However, I wanted an under-the-cabinet small screen TV, and there are only a few options in this market sector.



I should have learned, but same as my last Audiovox purchase, this one was problem-laden. While it worked (all of 6 weeks) it was adequate. Decent picture, average sound (I didn't expect more for the size and price), and installation was fairly easy.



However, about 5 weeks into ownership, the screen went black. No warning, no power. It happened once, and I thought perhaps a fluke event. However a week or so later it went black again, same thing, no power, no picture. And it never came on again.



I've called Audiovox again, and again their service has been non-existent. They actually recommend "buying a new one" and told me they "can't always get parts for these".



It makes me think they don't actually make any products but pay someone else to make items for them.



I wish I had just tried the more-expensive Sony.



PROS:

* Decent video quality

* Screen can be turned 270 degrees

* Remote is user-friendly

* Includes radio; decent sound.



CONS:

* Audiovox products seem prone to failure and Audiovox doesn't stand behind them. Warranty is virtually worthless

I love my new audiovox tv.. It was delivered very promptly.. The only problem I had was liviing in a townhouse, getting the cable through and I had to hire an electrician at 250.00... The tv, however and all its features are wonderful...You can adjust the screen to fill it at wide angle or turn it to a portrait angle which does not fill the screen.. I dont mind cooking or cleaning in the kitchen now when my favorite tv program is on and I dont have to run back and forth during commecials. The price at Amazon was the best anywhere!!! Free shipping and no tax...cannot be beat...Picture quality is great and can be altered to fit your preferences. It was fun watching my jpgs on it as a slide show

At $230, pretty expensive for a 9 in screen but that said, the picture and sound are terrific and the installation and set-up are fairly straight forward. A DVD player is included, which I do not intend to use.



Be prepared to drill some holes in your cabinet if you intend to hang it under a counter. The screws supplied are round-headed which would have interfered with the movement of the plates in the cabinet above. I changed them to flat-head screws and countersunk them which made it a neat and seamless install.



I really like this product now that I've used it and recommend it to anyone wanting a discrete TV in a small space. One negative, Audiovox provides a 90 day warranty.... what happened to 1 year??????

First off, the product works fine and overall we are happy with it. However, there are three very annoying things about this TV:



1. The auto-seek tuning makes manually tuning AM or FM stations tedious. You have to push the tune buttons for the proper duration to make them stop on the station you want. It's trial-and-error to find the proper station.



2. When the power fails, you lose the time AND the saved AM and FM station presets. The discovered TV channels survive the power failure just fine. This is especially annoying given how difficult it is to tune the stations in the first place. See #1 above.



3. Even though we have digital cable with many channels, the TV only "discovered" channels 1-135. You can't enter the number for a channel above 135 on with the keypad. You can only use channel up or channel down for channels beyond 135.



The overall picture is ok. The LCD panel mount is a bit wobbly, but if you are careful and don't allow kids to play with it, it should give years of service. Audio quality is adequate and plays loud enough to hear across our small kitchen.



There aren't many choices in under-cabinet televisions for under $300. This is the best we found in that price range. - Under Cabinet Tv - Kitchen Tv - Small Kitchen Tv - Under Counter Tv'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information