Friday 29 April 2011

Picture - picture, hooks


I recently held an exhibit for my photography and the space had one large wall that had brick behind it. The owner was very concerned about her walls and wouldn't allow any holes or permanent anchors so I bought these adhesive hooks. I tested one in my home for a few weeks prior to the show to see how well it held. It held fine until the weather changed colder. The wall I tested on was the exterior facing wall, (another reviewer also mentions not using these on exterior facing walls). Otherwise it probably would've held indefinitely. Each frame was 16 x20 with glass and one medium hook held each beautifully. I only needed the pictures up for a few days for the show and they held securely. I also like how easy these were to place. All frames sat exactly in line.

When I took them down they removed cleanly, just as described. It does take effort and was obvious that they were on surprisingly secure but still I would only use these where you absolutely can't drill. Perfect for walls covering brick!

It is very important to read and follow the directions exactly. I used 99% alcohol to prep the wall and let each hook sit overnight before I put any weight on them. That did the trick for me. Command 17043 Wire-Backed Picture-Hanging Hooks with Adhesives Strips, 3 Hangers 6 Strips

I bought a fairly large sign, and was not really sure what to do with. Thanks to these bad boys, I was able to hang it up without the commitment of holes in the wall. I wasn't sure how much the sign weighed so I used two - it's been hanging on them without incident for over a month now.

Moved into a new apartment and decided to try the 3m Command system. It works great - as long as your picture weigh under 10 pounds. Most of mine did so I hung my pictures in record time and without damaging the wall.

These work so well! I just moved into a space and didn't want to put holes in the wall, the command hooks did the trick. (Be careful if you need to move them, the first time I did I didn't stretch the backing far enough before lifting and the paint came off the wall.)They really do hold well.

I placed two of these picture hangers on a clean wall in a quiet, undisturbed part of my apartment, pressed them hard into the paint for a minute each, and then waited about six hours before hanging up two lightweight frames (each well under 5 lbs) on them. A few hours later, without any provocation, one of the frames comes crashing down, shattering the glass cover.



I took down the still-hanging frame and picture hanger, went back online and bought the waterproof version of these adhesive strips, figuring that although these walls are not subjected to any water or high temperatures/humidity levels, maybe waterproof is a little stronger. A couple days later, with my new strips in hand, I repeated the process: stuck them onto the wall, pressed them hard into the paint, and waited half a day to let things set before carefully rehanging my frames. This time the other (unbroken) frame stays on on the wall for about a day before the adhesive comes loose and the picture hanger slides down to the ground, bringing the frame with it and causing my second piece of glass to crack in the middle as the frame hits the ground.



Fed up, I take the earlier damaged frame off the wall and attempt to gently pull down on the adhesive strip as directed. It rips off a layer of my wall paint about the size of a quarter. So as a result of trying to avoid putting two tiny little holes into my wall I now have two broken picture frames and a missing patch of wall paint. The moral of the story: avoid these like the plague! They are just not reliable - they're either too sticky or not sticky enough, and they can cause more damage to your wall (and whatever you happen to be trying to hang on them) than plain old nails.

Great product. I've got 5 of them holding up a 25 lb mirror in my entryway of my apartment and the hooks have held up so far. They are really easy to use and I love that fact that I don't have to make any holes in the wall, which would cost me more money when I move out of this place. I also like the fact that they provide additional adhesive strip just in case you mess up the first time.....which I did!

I had my walls painted last month and decided to use these hooks when I rehung my art last week so I could move things around and not have nail holes. I was careful to follow the instructions and weighed the pieces to be sure they were less than the 5 lb. limit. They've worked fine (so far) on 12 pieces. But on two others they were a disaster. On one piece I used 2 hooks right beside each other since it weighed 8 lbs. It held for several days and then I decided to move it. When I tried to release the hooks by pulling down on each tab separately, each tab just tore off from the sticky part and left the hooks stuck to the wall. When I tried to gently unstick them, one tore a large hole in the drywall. I moved the piece and again used 2 hooks to hang it. It stayed up for several hours then came crashing down, hooks and all. At least it didn't mess up the drywall. I decided to use a nail hanger on that piece. Another large but under 5 lbs. painting crashed down yesterday (along with the hook) after being up more than a week. Both pictures that crashed were only slightly damaged due to good luck. I'm leaving my other 12 pieces up on the walls with the hooks and hoping they don't crash, but I'm a little anxious. It was convenient to be able to change my mind about where a piece would go and remove the hook easily with no trace on the wall, but then I had the two hooks where the tabs tore off and they made a big mess. So I can't really recommend these hooks because they're not reliable even when you follow the instructions.

Works as advertised. Measured twice and stuck once. Didn't even need to wait the hour and the picture (20x36 framed canvas, no glass)hung great. Even left on vacation when we turned the temp up to 83 in house, came back a week and a half later and the picture was still hanging. - Hooks - Picture - 3m'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information