Sunday 24 April 2011

Jewelry


As with the 500 design series, this 1000 design series on jewelry (there is also a 1000 ATCs book) really does inspire re-examination of their own designs/works with new/different/"out there"/creative ideas. Yes, many of the designs have been seen described in other books or magazines, but these images gave me a different perception on how to use various types of stones, beads, fibers, metal, wire, etc.



I look at this book and others like it without directions on how to make the piece (e.g. Polymer Clay Design book in my library) as great coffee table books and for the times I need to get my designing out of a rut or give it a jump start when I am just sitting looking at all my beads and doing nothing with them. By giving step-by-step instructions for any piece often deters an aspiring artist to follow in the same footsteps of the person making the original design - NOT GOOD! Without the step-by-step directions, as in this book, even if you want to make something similar, I believe that you can come up with a unique flair for a piece of jewelry.



As for all images within the pages having this inspirational quality - I partially agree with another reviewer that not all provide this and often you wish you could just delete that image from the book for it detracts from the other pieces (e.g. I hate hair combs & pins and pieces in this book decorated with flowery beads - particularly brooches (IMHO) - luckily only a few are shown)[Sorry to those that love this type of work]. And some of the pieces are repeated with only a very slight change such as different focal beads, chains, or other component to make it different enough to be considered one in the 1000 jewelry pieces...in fact these are often done by the SAME artist. These should NOT be counted in the 1000, yet I am sure that they are.



In summary, I beleve that well over 75% of the images provided me with enough inspiration to work the right side of my brain expanding with new ideas. Hence the reason for authors to compile images from numerous artist for the 500 and 1000 series of art books. If you want something that describes how a piece of art is made, get a guidebook and make sure that is what you get - then you won't be disappointed. Treat this book as TRUE inspiration. 1000 Jewelry Inspirations (mini): Beads, Baubles, Dangles, and Chains (1000 Series)

I do not enjoy writing reviews that are not complimentary, however this is one of those books that people need to fully understand before spending their hard earned dollars.



Firstly, this is not a project based book, it is literally about three hundred pages of photos of work that is not new or that inspiring. The ideas and designs have been done to death in a huge range of books previously. The photos in many instances are not of a good standard etiher. Colour washed out, out of focus, bad background colour choices rendering the image insipid etc.



I have been a long time collector of the 500 series by Lark in Jewellery and now their wonderful "Master's" Series. These books have such stunning work and beautiful photography - again like this one, for inspiration only, no projects. I suspect I was lulled into a false sense of security when I saw 1,000 - thinking this would be on par. It's not.



If you are into general stringing beads together, or do wire work, predominatley using commercial findings, or you are an absolute novice to jewelry making at a craft level you possibly will be happy with this book. There are some pieces using Polymer or Beadweaving, but again, nothing that stands out as different or new. If on the other hand you have been doing any sort of higher end jewellery work, metalsmithing etc, I would think twice before buying.



There were possibly 20-30 pieces that I thought were interesting and had a unique style about them, the rest I could pick up any beading magazine and find en masse. I would make the point though that the work itself is of generally high quality for what it is and the artists are to be commended for this. The problem lies with a book that states it is an "inspiration" book which is in my opinion, not delivering.



I was very disappointed, and if it was easy to return books from here I would do so. As reviews are very subjective, my advice is to try to have a look inside before purchasing to make sure this is what you think it is. The title promises a lot but fails to deliver ( for me ).

I was really looking forward to getting this book as a gift for a crafty friend. I was a bit disapointed with the items as some looked pretty home made and not so professional. Possibly useful as inspiration for a beginner.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will keep it on my beading table as a reference. I own an absolutely frightening stash of beads and other components, so I was thrilled to find finished pieces in "Jewelry Inspirations" that showed me possible uses for many of my inventory items. Of the book's 1000 photos I bookmarked at least 90 for future reference.



No, this is not a "how-to" book. There are no instructions or materials lists for the projects. But if you've ever experienced "beader's block", when a beautiful component stubbornly refuses to tell you what it wants, this book should kick-start your creativity. And if I can't figure out how to make something I've bookmarked I'll refer to a book or magazine from my jewelry-making library.



I do agree that the book contains some duplicate photos, where some items are included in more than one category, so perhaps the author did cheat just a little bit.



I'd bet that many of this book's critical reviews reflected the preferences of the reviewer. I did note the absence of dainty, girly crystal pieces, but I didn't miss them at all since they don't appeal to me. To each his/her own!

There were very few items in this whole book that "inspired" me to do anything more than roll my eyes. If something I had made looked like most of these items they would have ended up in the trash, not in a book. I hate to be so harsh but many items looked as if a child had put them together; My Mom agreed with me. We laughed our way through this book then threw it away.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Jewelry Jewelry Jewelry