Tuesday 29 June 2010

Flash Memory - card reader, usb card reader


I bought this product after reading the reviews and thinking it will work on SDHC cards. It worked upto 8gb card which I tested. I have a 16gb SDHC card got toasted because of this reader. the reader cannot read and invalidated my card now. I can't even reformat the card properly! Stay AWAY if you use it with large storage cards. CTCstore 10-in-1 USB 2.0 High Speed Memory Card Reader Writer for SD SDHC MiniSD MiniSDHC MMC rsMMC - Purple

Oops. I also was fooled. I bought the damn thing for use as a SDHC reader to download photos from my Panasonic ZS3 10 MP camera which are about 5 MB each onto a MAC G5. It downloads photos from a Transcend 8GB Class 6 card fine, but it will successfully download the AVCHD lite video only if the original video was just a few seconds long (haven't tried other video formats). Longer videos get stuck at some point. Multiple tries didn't work, had to resort to killing the finder, rebooting, and using the Panasonic cable. Thought I had a bad reader.



Note the other review in which someone found it worked for 8 GB card photos but a 16 GB card was screwed up and photos were lost.



Somebody tell me why Amazon has so many screwups of this type? (listed as one thing but is not).

"WOW!" is my first reaction to this reader/writer. I wasn't sure what to expect for just over a buck. I needed something that would read an SDHC card and this has come through.



For being just over a buck, it's features are actually pretty incredible. There is a light that shows when it's in use, very useful for me because I know if it's blinking, even if it shows all files have been copied on my computer, I know it's still doing something. Plus, the two covers (for the USB and card side) fit very snuggly, something I was no expecting. This is great because I keep the reader in my purse and it gets shoved around quite a bit.



I use both a Mac and Windows PC and this reader worked flawlessly in each.



Probably my only complaint is that for some reason, it appeared that there was a limitation on the number of files it could store in root. I'm not 100% sure if that's the card or the reader (the card has had no issues in the past in cameras) however. Once I created a folder though I could copy the full card's size in files to it.



Bottom Line: Why pay so much more for a simple piece of technology when you can get this one for under $2?

This reader is advertised as a 10-in-1 with the ability to read SDHC. This is the main feature I needed with it and it is the one feature it does not have. Zoom into the image here on Amazon and you can plainly see that SDHC is not written on the item. I should have done this when purchasing instead of trusting the seller's words.

I originally purchased this for my niece for the digital picture frame that I got here so she could transfer things to the SD disk to put into it. I found that my niece was crazy about and I purchased one for myself. I found that it was very easy to transfer data this way and I used 1 GB and 2 GB sizes both worked very fast. I was surprised how they were represented on the CD because they were in subdirectories but that might have been the camera software. It transfer with the same software where I would pick each picture I wanted to send to the PC and it was like I hooked up the cable to the camera. In my software I can just view it or I can use the software that came with the camera which creates new folders with just the selection you entered. I was glad I could still do this with this device. Yeah!

Love this little memory card reader....so small (about as long as your index finger) yet loaded with benefits.

My favorite use is to keep in my camera case so I can view my photos at any given time without the worry of my camera cable to connect me....it also allows me to share quickly with others. - Card Reader - Memory Card Readers - Sd Card Reader - Usb Card Reader'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information