Wednesday 30 June 2010

Universal Power Adapter - universal power adapter, power plug adapter


This is all you need for any one device to the extent that it is rated for universal voltage of 100-240V AC.



Most existing laptops and other electronics are this way these days but some older devices may come with a 110/240V switch so make sure that you check before you plug your device into the foreign outlet, especially if you do it into the outlet of 'higher' voltage.



On this adapter's features:



- Works as a plug converter on both sides, meaning that you can plug in either a US, Euro or South American device on one end and the outlet you plug it into can be either of the above.

- Supports both 2-prong and 3-prong US plugs.

- It is NOT a voltage converter. If your device is not rated for 240V chances are it WILL be destroyed so be careful.

- Amazingly, for the price, it even offers some surge protection. Insten Universal World Wide Travel Charger Adapter Plug, White - by eForCity

I purchased this converter to use with my laptop and cell phone / video camera charging. The converter itself is easy to use. It worked very well in Hong Kong because they use British style plugs. China uses the Australian type plugs. When using these plugs there is no third plug. Some circuits at upscale hotels will only work if 3 prongs are used, not just 2. When two prongs are used either in the Australian plug or the European plug, the connection is very flimsy and falls out of the socket easily. I did not have to use this much in China as the hotel I was staying at (a Mariott hotel) had several options on the wall plate that allowed me to use American plugs.



Regaring power transformers: Most of Asia uses 220 - 240 Volt circuits. If all you are using are laptops and cell phone / camera charging cords, most of those will tolerate up to 240 volts. Just check the sqaure/rectangular box attached to the cord to see how much voltage it will take. If you are using hair dryer / curling iron / electric razor / etc., you will need a power transformer as these appliances typically will not take voltage over 110 (used in America for most things).

I have had many an adapter. This is my first all-in-one. It performed flawlessly in the UK and Portugal, and should work everywhere. The great thing about it is that it also has reverse compatibility so that for example, a house guest from Europe could use this in your house in the US. Brilliant device!

I've noticed that most if not all of the other reviewers were commenting on their use in Europe. I thought I should add a review, commenting on my experience with this product, which I am using in Japan. Perhaps for European countries, 5 stars is appropriate-I can't comment on that part since I've never tried it there. But I will comment on the usage of it in Japan.



The basic problem I have which keeps it from five stars is that it will plug into a socket, but only barely. It kind of hangs loose from the socket which can make it difficult for the device to work properly. Once you get it to the right position, though, it will stay there. Essentially, at that point, you only need to not bump it in order for it to stay properly. For me, 9 times out of 10 of the device plugging in properly and working without additional effort is enough for me, but always having it loose is kind of worrisome for some people, I am sure. Finally, because the plug is apparently the same as in other countries, this review would in essence apply to usage in the US, Australia and Thailand.



Of course, if you are to use it elsewhere, this plug will likely do the trick. Therefore, and especially because of its price, I can still recommend this travel plug adapter. Since this is pretty much my only option for changing a 3 prong plug to a 2 prong plug (they don't have it in most of Japan), I am very grateful to have bought it.

I purchased the adapter to use on a trip to the UK with my cell phone, laptop, and camera battery chargers and a travel hair straightener - all dual voltage and so not requiring voltage converters, but only plug adapters. This plug adapter would not provide power to any of the four items, however. I had brought 3 other plug adapters with me, and tested each item with other adapters and they all worked, so I know it was a problem with this adapter. I am unsure whether the adapter is completely defective, or only the UK plug of the adapter. It would have been a major problem had I been relying on this adapter without bringing other ones. I was very surprised since the item had 7 positive reviews, so perhaps this was only an isolated incident; still, I would encourage you not to rely only on this adapter and to bring a back-up if you are going to buy it.

Bought this for a trip to Italy and France. I used this in various hotels and on our cruise ship along the Italian coast. Worked every time. As other reviewers noted, you do have to use the "unlock" switch on the top to release the prongs you need. Then, "lock" it to keep that prong extended. Note that when you slide the switch to unlock, you may have more than one type of prong pop out. Just push back the ones you don't need and lock it with the prong you do need. Our only small gripe is that the prong we needed for Italy and France (the two round prongs (2nd from the top in the picture) didn't pop out automatically. We had to unlock the device then pry up those prongs. But, once extended, they locked into place and fit every time.

This power adapter works like a charm. It is completely universal so you can use UK electronics in America and American electronics in the UK with the same adapter. Absolutely no complaints what so ever.



The best part about it is the little key chain flash light that comes with it. I use it every day and absolutely love it. Great deal at a great price.

I have just returned from a week's stay in England, but before I left, I had read as many reviews as possible on the various brands of travel adaptors and after a good deal of consideration, decided to go with this one and a Samsonite as well. I figured that if one didn't work, the other one hopefully would. I am happy to report that this one performed just as many other reviewers have expressed, whereas the Samsonite will be returned to Amazon ASAP for it proved useless to me. I ended up using this adaptor for not only my mobile phone, but my Bluetooth charger, my Palm PDA charger and most of all -- when I was out for the day -- as a charger for my new Toshiba netbook! (Side Note: Another Amazon reviewer praised it as a nice little surge protector for the price; they were absolutely right).



Although I recalled previous reports on this item, it still took a bit to sort out how to expand the UK portion, but once I got that in hand, things were fine. (I had been reading the instructions, but it still took a few minutes to figure it out, and thankfully, I tried it BEFORE leaving on vacation, in case I needed to replace it).



I also noted -- and I'm uncertain if others have had this problem -- that if I "shoved" the adaptor completely into the UK plug, the red indicator light would not turn on. I was already cursing under my breath, thinking that I was now going to be forced to purchase another in London; so I tried wiggling it a little and pulling it forward, and the light began to glow. After that incident, I never pushed the adaptor entirely into the main plug, so you might wish to keep this in mind should you have a problem with it turning on and see if that helps.



My biggest regret is that I didn't buy more of these, as having only one (and also the useless Samsonite) meant I had to rotate what was charged. Therefore during the day, the netbook got the full treatment, and in the evening, after a full day of touring, the mobile and the PDA got theirs. In the end it all worked out, but had I purchased a couple of more, that slight problem would have been prevented.



I likely won't be able to return to England for a few more years, but here's hoping this product will still be around for then. Or...maybe I'll just go ahead and buy a couple of more while I can! It would be worth it believe me. - Travel Converter - Universal Power Adapter - Power Plug Adapter - Universal Adapter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information