Saturday 26 June 2010

Flat Front - khakis, pants


The good: Dockers makes khakis for skinny men, with a good range of inseam lengths. These fit me quite well.



The bad: The sewing and fabric is of a poorer quality than before. It looks as if headquarters figured that they could make money in the recession only if they switched to a lower tier of suppliers, or asked the old suppliers to do it faster, with lower-quality fabric. The cotton is getting fuzzy on my new D1 and D2 Dockers in a way my old Dockers (here next to me) and my LL Beans (ditto) never did, even now. The length of the cotton fibers controls this, and when the company pays more for fabric, they get longer, more stable fibers that don't fuzz or pill. They don't drape as well as they did before, either. They drape like discount-quality pants, which is what they have become, I guess.



The sewing is not as good as before, in every seam. Just doesn't compare. There are stray threads in a few places, there is not enough thread on some seams, and I can see too much thread where I shouldn't. The front buttonhole was not sewed tight, and the button is becoming undone; I have only worn these D1s maybe 10 times, mind you. The buttons fell off my LL Bean's too, but after several years! And they cost about the same.



The belt loop is bigger than before, but now it is too big. For jeans I understand that some people wear a 2" belt. But for nice-looking khakis? I mean, these are not work pants. Far from it. They aren't tough enough. The waistband is 1.25" wide, and the loops drop 0.75" below that. I wouldn't say it looks silly with a normal belt, but close. Dockers Men's Signature Khaki D1 Slim Fit Flat Front Pant,British Khaki,33x30

I've bought Docker pants for many years for my husband. They have lasted a good long time. He has slim hips so I was excited when they came out with the slim fit. I bought 5 pair--1 for each day of his work week. Three buttons have broken---not com unsewn. Two have worn thin in spots and cannot be worn anymore. I replaced one pair so that makes 6 bought in all. So after a few months, he is now down to two out of the 6 that were bought. I can't find slims in any other brand and they look so much better on him than the regular fit but it just isn't worth my money to keep replacing them.

Fit: I am a thin guy and have trouble finding pants to fit me in the waist. These pants fit me perfectly all over and they look great! I wear them to work in the office a lot and hope Docker's will continue to make this style. Also, I'm glad to see some new colors were added to their selection. Quality: Dockers should consider reinforcing the seams in the seat and some other areas. It would be great if their products were made in the USA for better QC.

I have bought 5 pairs of the Signature D1 slim fit Dockers from a local department store and Amazon.com. I am very happy to finally find a pair pants that fit well, usually I find pants (especially casual pants) are too baggy on me. I did have to return one pair of pants because the zipper broke after just one wearing.

They fit well, but true to the reviews I'd read, the zippers break -- and never at a good moment. The first pair that broke, broke the first time I wore them; I was too busy to return right away and now Amazon is making it impossible to contact them to explain there is a serious manufacturing problem here -- there are no longer any people to contact. The second pair's zipper broke in the middle of live professional board exams, people all around! I had to repair emergency-style with a paper clip stitch! The problem is the product, but also that Amazon won't allow this sort of problem to be addressed if it occurs after 30 days-- the online "easy" return process also is operating to control their liability and responsiveness, limiting what they'll do to neat, pre-packaged, pre-set responses, subtly allowing them to dodge a variety of legitimate claims with the smoke screen of internet "ease" pitched to be all about helping YOU.

I love these pants. First of all, they come in hard to find sizes (ie 29" waist). Secondly, the Amazon price is better than those found at department stores. Lastly, they FIT me. I recommend going to JCP or Kohls and trying on a pair before buying them though, since we all prefer our fits a little different. That said, for me these are absolutely the best fitting khakis I've ever owned. I will be buying several more pair in different colors (I bought the Fog [grey] ones and they look pretty nice if I do say so myself). Overall, a great khaki if you want a slim fit.

I've purchased three pairs of Dockers D1's from Amazon and, for the most part, I've been very happy with them. Construction is better than just about any other pant I've seen at this price point. In general, I think you'd be hard pressed to find another pant for this price with the same quality.



The fit of the D1 is great as far as slim fitting, flat front trousers go. Again, the next pant with comparable fit is something like a Banana Republic slim fit that costs around $100.



Fit is very consistent across pants. I typically wear 31x30 or 31x32 (I think I am ideally a 31x31), and the 31x30 fits me perfectly in the waist, through the leg, and length allows a nice break at the cuff.



My only gripe is with the colors. I am very pleased with the black and grey D1's. I also ordered a pair of "branch" D1's -- as far as I'm concerned, "branch" is pretty useless as a description of color. I purchased them thinking they were reddish brown (based on the photos) and they turned out to be pretty strongly greenish. (I'd describe them as dark olive green, with some brownish tones.) I ended up returning this pair because they don't match any of my shirts - be aware when purchasing these that they are on the green (and not the red) side of the spectrum. I also wish there was a dark grey pant available, as "fog" is a pretty light grey. - Slim Fit - Khakis - 29 Inch Inseam - Pants'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information