Monday 28 June 2010

Remote Control Extender


This product works GREAT and is very inexpensive compared to others. I recommend using this product over wireless repeaters for reliability and cleanliness of installation.

PROS: Very neat installation and very accurate repeater for a complete system using a Sony 52 inch LCD. Ample wires and expansion capability. Feels like a well built product with clear labeling on the box for easy installation. I added a standard 12 foot long 3.5mm M/F stereo extension cable to lengthen the 10 foot IR Receiver cable that was included in the kit. This allowed me to put the IR receiver on the TV (wall mounted Sony) and put the box in the equipment closet 12 feet away. It worked flawlessly. They should advertise this capability on the Cables to Go website.



CONS: The double back tape on the IR Transmitters seemed kinda week. I don't think they'll fall off over time, but actually might. The IR transmitter plugs pop out of the box very easily. I think they are using the wrong plug/socket combination in the design; they work, but come out VERY easily when they should 'click' in like the IR receiver and power plug do. The power cord is the same plug as all the other ports. It is easily confused with the port next to it labeled "Status". The unit will not work if the power is in the "Status" port, but when miswired, does not fry the unit either. (Uh, don't ask how I learned this...)



Great Product. Highly Recommended. 9 out of 10 for the IR Transmitters not locking in correctly. Cables To Go Impact Acoustics 40430 Infrared (IR) Remote Control Repeater Kit (Black)

This is a great, well priced repeater although it may not be compatible with all equipment.



The unit worked well for my Pioneer Elite receiver and DVD player, but unfortunately it could not transmit the signal at all for my AT&T U-verse "cable" box. The U-verse system is a new technology and apparently the remote is using a frequency that is not within the range of the Cables To Go unit. I called tech support and they were very accomodative and helpful although they had not run into this issue before with the new AT&T units. They had fixed an issue with certain Scientific Atlanta units and therefore figured we could try that remedy. They mailed (at no cost) a new receiver "eye" in an attempt to fix the issue. The new part arrived quickly and I was very hopeful that we would be all set - unfortunately it did not work and I was forced to retunr the unit to Amazon.



All in all - I would recommend the unit if my equipment were compatible. It appears there is really no in between - it will either work with your equipment and in that case it works well - otherwise it simply cannot transmit the signal and thus it will not work at all. I recommend you search online to see if it is known to work with your equipment or you could likely call Cables to Go and ask them if they know whether or not it will work.

I searched for weeks to find a solution for my new house. I had just got a 55" LED LCD TV and new leather furniture and the last thing I wanted in the room was a stack of electronics emitting different color LEDs from every knob and switch. I mounted a shelf in the garage, directly behind the TV, and now I have one of the cleanest setups I have seen. I tried 3 or 4 different IR repeaters from $40-$150 and none met my expectations. Some had delays, others I had to hold the buttons for 2-5 seconds, and some just simply did not work. The 40430 setup easily in about 5 minutes, and worked immediately with my Tivo, DVD, DVR and HD cable box. I had a concern with the HD functions so tech support gladly sent me a newer revision of the IR receiver, no questions asked. I never had to speak to a machine and the 2 guys I spoke to (Doug & Brad) were very nice. Now everyone that comes to the house, friends, family and service guys all comment and are just amazed at the simple look and the ease of use! Note: Xbox 360 uses RF signals so you shouldnt need a repeater. Mine works just fine through the wall. Also, if you mount the ir emitters directly on a device you should remove the sticky stuff (which sort of obstructs the ir signal) and just tape it on.

This is a GREAT product. I moved all my audio/video equipment to the walk-in closet behind the wall that my TV is mounted on, and now I have a very clean setup. I work for one of the better known CE companies and have tested and used many similar products, including expensive products used for professional installations. There really is no reason to pay more, as long as you understand what this product can and cannot do.



PROS:

1. very inexpensive yet performance and the build quality are as good as units costing 2-3 times as much

2. IR receiver is actually more sensitive and has a wider angle than the IR receivers embedded in my various A/V equipment. As a result, I get better IR performance than when my Harmony One remote was firing directly at the equipment in the same room.

3. It's nice to have SIX output ports (to IR emitters) - most units costing 2-3 times as much only have 4.



CONS:

1. Would have been nice to be able to plug two IR receiver into the unit so that I can use a remote in my patio (AVR Zone 2); however, you won't find this feature in a product that sells for anywhere near the 40430 price....



** RECOMMENDATION ** check to see if your equipment has a 3.5mm IR input connector (usually on the back); if so, buy a mono 3.5mm plug-to-plug cable and run it directly from one of the 40430 output ports to your equipment - you get a cleaner setup without gluing an IR flasher to the front. My Harman Kardon AVR has both IR-in and IR-out so I was able to daisy-chain the IR through it to my BD player.



5 enthusiastic stars!!!



Added 3/18/2010:

Amazon is also selling a 2-in/1-out IR connecting block which you can use to add a 2-zone capability to the 40430:



Vista Acoustics C21 $[...].

Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002COJETA?&tag=shopwiki-us-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325



You'll also need to add an IR sensor for your 2nd zone (e.g. speakers in patio.) All together you'll double the cost of the 40430 alone, but it's still a lower price than anything I have been able to find that has 'native' 2-zone capability.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Remote Control Extender Remote Control Extender Remote Control Extender