Wednesday 27 July 2011

Deus Ex


I played the original Deus Ex on my Mac desktop for a long long time. It is a remarkable game which rewards alternative approaches. The Mac became really obsolete and was replaced by a G5 with OS 10, not compatible with the game. I played the sequel several times on my wife's Windows laptop. In some ways it was more ambitious than Deus Ex, but most gamers regarded it as a disappointment. The DVD combines both games. There are some glitches and crashes, and some of the bugs still haven't been fixed but after a couple of years rest, it is very satisfying to revisit one of the great all time games. I am not sure I have enough disc capacity to launch the sequel but haven't got that far yet. What I have seen of the third release, technically a prequel, looks very promising and might be enough to get me to upgrade the wife's computer to Windows 7. For the price, this is a good deal. DEUS EX COMPLETE

I saw the release stuff for a new Edition of Deux EX and decided to play the original first. The best was that it came as Complete with both games released so far. I am playing it on an Intel Core i7 920 based System running 64 bit Vista Home Premium w/ ait Radeon HD4850 Video card and DX11. It is playing fine. The graphics are a bit dated and show it, but it doesn't really take away from the game itself. I have pretty much thrown the stealth stuff out the window when entering a base or whwerever other concentrations of bad guys exist. Seems to work better for me as by the time It reach my objective, I can then just walk out as I have pretty much eleiminated all the bad guys. The Sniper Rifle is a very good thing to have for this as well as the GEP gun for the Robotic Sentries, which are deadly. You start out at the Statue of Liberty and then move on to the Battery on the tip of Manhatten, From there you will go to Hell's Kitchen ( lower East Side ) and eventually to an airfield with a 747 to board and explore some. After that it is off to Hong Kong for further work, then back to Hell's Kitchen. From there you go the the Brooklyn Navy Yard and then on to Paris, France. This is as far as I have gotten so far and it has been fun. Like Fallout 3, it is hard to determine if it is RPG or Shooter, but I guess it is best described as a combo of both, with a strong emphasis on shooter. I think it will appeal to those who like RPGs like Fallout 3, as well as the FPS purists.

Here's a copy of the last letter I sent to Mastertronic: "Nope. Made no difference. The DVD is not detected.The installation failed every time I ran it, with a general protection fault, leaving some services running. I thought I had completed the installation satisfactorily, but I may not have. That is an alternative explanation to the idea that the DVD is being rejected.I would try to reinstall with UAC off also, but there's some obscure registry key I didn't find that's telling the installer that Deus Ex is already installed. If you can tell me the keys involved, I'm willing to try to reinstall this product.I will work with you to get this working, as long as you have constructive-sounding ideas to offer.I've had so many problems that I really think Mastertronic is obligated either to publish a reliable guide to installing Deus Ex under Win7, and possibly Vista as well, or else withdraw the claim that the product runs under one or possibly both of these operating systems. I am placing a caution in the user reviews for this product at Amazon, and will withdraw it or reinforce it, depending on how my work with you guys goes."It's occurred to me that I didn't tell Mastertronic that I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7. I will do so. I would suggest that Win 7 users, 64-bit at least, not buy this product until we can see how to install it so that it runs well.

I ordered this game and I installed it on my Windows 7 64 bit P.C.



Well, here are the results & warning:



Deus Ex installed fine.

Deus Ex Invisible War installed fine.



Problem:

Due to my newer P.C. both games ran VERY fast and was told be a friend to "Set Affinity to 1 core."

Well, When trying to Set Affinity to 1 core on my Quad Core 2 CPU, my task manager caused Deus Ex to crash.



I don't think this "Complete" version was meant to run on Windows 64 bit platforms,

but the description says that it will run on Windows 7 in the amazon.com blurb.



Be Forewarned: It might run on 32 bit Win 7 platforms but not on my P.C.

It looks like this will take a LOT of time to Set Affinity to 1 core of my CPU.



Wish me the best as I wish you the best.

Now to try to install this beast!

One of the greatest games of all time. Never played it, just picked it up last month. It is absolutely fantastic. It really holds up today. If you can get past the graphical shortcomings, you'll experience a story, and game world, that is simply engrossing. PLAY THIS GAME! You are not a true video game fan if you don't. (Also available on PS2)'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Deus Ex Deus Ex Deus Ex