Saturday 30 July 2011

Iphone Clock Alarm - ipod dock, iphone dock


I wanted to replace my clock radio for one that charges my iPod Touch & has decent sound. After sampling several models at the Apple Store & researching online, I picked this one. As a note, there is a previous model of this unit & there are some major differences. Since both are still available as of 1/14/10, you might want to decide which one works better for you. The differences are:

-The old one was shorter, designed for regular ipods. The Touch & the iPhone stuck out higher then the radio, which meant when reaching for the snooze or other buttons, you may hit the iphone/touch and knock it off.

-The old one has a smaller clock display.

-The old one had a BETTER ipod dock. It actually had a rest behind where the ipod stands, which could be adjusted from the back to go in or out. This to me was an amazing & rather unique solution.



The one I bought, the new one described in this item listing, has a bigger clock display & is taller so the touch and iphone no longer stick out on top. However, the dock no longer has the adjustable backrest like the older model. Instead, it comes with 2 plates, one for the iphone, one for the Touch. If you have another ipod, you'll have to bring your own dock plate.



The main problem with this dock plate solution is that my Touch doesn't fit with the protective case on (I use an Agent 18). Since taking the Touch out of the case everyday is not something I wish to do, I have to use this without any dock plates. The problem with that is the only support the Touch has is the dock port. This is obviously not a good thing in the long term. It makes using the Touch while it is docked a 2 hand operation; one to stabilize the Touch & keep it from pushing back & the other hand to make the adjustments. This is doubly frustrating since they had a much better docking solution in the older model.



I plan on glueing a piece of foam or other material on the radio behind where the Touch would be to support it.



Even with this caveat, I would still recommend this Sony. The price to benefit ratio, to me at least, is great. The sound quality and clock radio functions are excellent, especially when you factor in the price you paid.



Things I like:

-Excellent sound

-Lots of options for the clock radio; 2 alarms, different days of the week, can wake up to ipod, buzzer, or clock.

-Sleep function also works with listening to iPod

-Comes with external AM & FM antennas. Picks up stations I listen to without a problem.

-Electronic tuning for radio stations with presets

-Plays Pandora & other sound apps through the system also

-Buzzer for alarm works great. Starts off slow and low volume. Then increases in intensity after every hit of the Snooze bar.

-Clock auto sets & remembers time if unplugged. Only have to set time zone when you first set it up.

-Remote works with iPod and has decent range.



Things I don't like:

-Docking solution is a regression compared to the older model



Overall, I recommend this unit. If you don't use a case with your iPhone or Touch, than it would get 5 stars, IMO. Sony ICFCS10iP Speaker Dock with Alarm Clock and Radio for iPod/iPhone (Black)

Like the previous reviewer, I also went to a brick and mortar store to buy the previous model, which was on the display, but the inventory was for this unit, billed as a slightly newer replacement unit by Sony. This unit fixes two complaints from the previoous model: 1) the Iphone no longer sits above the snooze button; 2) the clock is far less cluttered and the display is larger and easier to see.



What really amazed me when I took it home and set it up was the sound quality. I currently have the Ihome IP9 and IP99. One of my IP9 units failed after about 10 months, so I bought this Sony unit to replace it. This unit is so much better in sound quality than the Ihome! I can't believe how great the sound is from such a small and inexpensive device. In addition, my Iphone fits snugly into this unit without any adapters, and I do not have to remove my protective case to properly dock it. I think Sony fixed the majority of complaints quite successfully with this new unit, and I am very pleased to have purchased it. I strongly recommend it over the Ihome units.

I bought this sony ipod speaker/alarm clock because I recently purchased an Iphone 3GS and wanted something for the bedroom with GSM shielding that would charge my phone as I listened. The form and price of this Sony unit are quite reasonable and everything is easy to use. It interfaces perfectly with the Iphone and there is no buzzing sound at all. The remote is easy to use and has all the expected functionality. Alarm function was intuitive and easy to use. I really like the way this dock holds my Iphone, it is more secure than most docks I have owned or used and I can leave my case on and still get a secure fit.



I returned this unit within a week because I was unhappy with the sound. I'm not an audiophile but I have several fairly good products I use with my Ipod and Iphone; Bose Sounddock, JBL On Stage, Logitech audiostsation express, Shure E2C, and Ultimate Ears Superfi 5. The Sony does not come close in sound to any of these and it is similarly priced to the JBL and Logitech. The Sony plays loud and clear enough, but cymbals were no where near clear and the bass sounded terrible. Drums sounded like someone was hitting a plastic bucket with a 2x4. I tend to think it is because the speakers are not ported. I wasn't expecting perfect sound, but the player it was replacing (due to incompatibility with the Iphone)was a JBL On Stage (small speaker port if you look carefully) that sounded much better and was similarly priced (the new On Stage with GSM shielding is significantly more expensive). Another small problem I have is that the speaker grill seems to be made of plastic and can easily be bent to hit the speaker.



For less money I went with the Ihome IP99 which has significantly better sound (speakers are ported) and more or less all the same features. One improvement is the ability to dim the clock all the way to off so you can have total darkness at night. - Iphone Dock - Ipod Dock - Iphone Clock Alarm - Ipod Dock System'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information