Saturday 30 July 2011

Electric Razor


I wish I could return this horrific foil. Having used the same Braun for over 3 years, I decided to "upgrade" to this foil from my original Activator 8000 series. What a mistake. I get razor burn every shave and the foil grabs my stubble making every shave extremely painful. The old foils didn't do this after 18 months of use! This does it after 18 seconds! I am writing Braun in the hopes they will swap it with an old style 8000. AVOID THESE! Braun Series 5 Combi 51S Foil and Cutter Replacement Pack (Formerly 8000 360 Complete or Activator)

I've had the 8585 since about 2004 and it's been working great. The last time I ordered the foil and cutter block was from a 3rd party seller on amazon. I did order from the 8000 series page but received a package that looked different from what I had received in the past. I originally thought they sent me a fake one especially after I started using it since it hurt to use around my lower jaw area and chin. Since I thought it was a fake I came here (thinking of ordering another one) and read all the negative reviews and realized it was the newer version of the foil and cutter block that was just poorly made. I'm at the moment looking for the cutter block for the older models (Braun Series 3 Combi 30B Foil and Cutter Replacement Pack). I might risk getting it since it has good reviews. Once my current shaver gives up, I'll be switching over to a different brand (probably panasonic). When companies start making stupid moves (why ruin something that worked perfectly in the past), it's time to ditch them?



I also wrote to Braun asking them if they were aware if "Braun Series 3 Combi 30B Foil and Cutter Replacement Pack" would work with the 8585 but they wrote back saying that they recommend only using the ones made for a particular model. They even offered to send me another 51S but I refused saying there's no point of enduring more pain by using the 51S.



btw, I've been using my 51S for a few months (2-3) now, it has held up just fine, but it hurts when using it... I have to be extremely gentle especially when using around the lower jaw since it seems to hurt the most there.





*** UPDATE 1 ***

I've been communicating with a person who purchased the 30B (http://www.amazon.com/review/RPRFO9DLBSJM7/ref=cm_cr_rev_detup_redir?_encoding=UTF8&cdPage=1&asin=B001VH6F9G&newContentNum=10&store=hpc&newContentID=Mx1FBNLU575B874#MxZJCE2GDWEFOT) and he confirmed the blades were thin as before. I went ahead and ordered the 30B and it arrived today and I put it on and everything looks fine so far (except for the looks and also that the travel case plastic cover doesn't quite fit since there is no notch on the foil cover but both these are extremely minor). I will shave with the 30B next week and post my experience then. I'm quite sure this will work just fine and it it does I'll order a few of the 30B in case Braun manages to ruin the 30B as well.



*** UPDATE 2 : The Shave Test ***

I'm 29 years and usually shave every Mon, Wed & Fri. I last shaved on Wednesday and today is Sunday. I was originally planning on shaving with the 51S today and do the same next week and use the 30B next Sunday. But I decided to shave half with the 51S and half with the 30B. I started off with the 51S and it was just so painful to use. It was almost like pulling on my hair (it felt like I was poking myself with a needle) and I stopped soon after starting with it. I then switched to the 30B and it was a world of difference. I could hardly feel anything when shaving with it. If I had shaved half my face with the 51S, I probably would have landed up with half my face red and with several cuts.



So, my strong recommendation is to avoid the 51S (I will most likely avoid Braun in general from now on) like the plague. However if you are unlucky like me to have the 51S and plan on using it until it's advertised life, you might want to shave more often (like daily or every other day) else be ready for a very painful shave. Please also check out the 2 images I've uploaded (available in the customer images section).



*** UPDATE 3 : Test to determine which part is at fault ***

Some people have stated that the new foil is at fault for the horrendous shave while I've firmly believed that it is the cutter block at fault. To find out, after shaving on Sunday, the next day I shaved was on a Wednesday. I first started off with the cutter block of the 51S and foil of the 30B. The shave was just as painful as before. I then switched to the cutter block of the 30B and foil of the 51S. It was just as smooth as using the earlier 8000 series or the 30B (cutter block and foil). According to me, the cutter block is the reason behind that horrible shave and Braun should be ashamed of putting such garbage out there.

I got the 51s as a replacement for me 8000 series think I was do for a change after 3 years. To that point I couldn't have been happier with my shaver. The foil cutter is terrible. I felt like i was going to my face with sandpaper and my shaves took 3x as long. I was tempted to go through my trash been to find the old 'beat' foil. I don't even have a thick beard and it was a struggle several times through



****Alternative****

I read on a few blogs that people had success using a "30B; series 3" replacement meant for a 4000/7000 series. I gave it a shot and my shaver is like new! It matches up perfect with the 8000 series, its just a different color plastic. Its also cheaper.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Electric Razor Electric Razor Electric Razor