Thursday 28 July 2011

Language Experience Approach - first grade, grammar


With educational and testing standards getting more and more difficult, it is nice having a tool to provide students with practice with language arts skills. These Daily Language Practice sheets give 1st graders a daily dose of basic editing (adding capitals, basic spelling errors, punctuation). They also include a variety of other activities including sorting words, yes/no questions, rhyming words, and other fundamentals. The Friday sheet always has a different and more lighthearted activity. There is also a Daily Math Practice book and I xerox them back to back and use them as bellwork. Both are half-sheets which are completed in about 10 minutes. Highly recommended! Daily Language Review, Grade 1

The books offers a review for many skills children should know. It's a usefully tool to begin class with and have children review what they know. There are questions for each day of the week for a 36 week school year. It has helped my students review concepts they have learned.

I have used extensive grammar and language texts with schoolchildren. And they would hate it! Now I use this book

and it is rather quick, efficient, and to the point.

The children enjoy their sessions as they learn.

You can have them practice handwriting as well as grammar and punctuation. It is really great.

This workbook alternates from being overly repetitive to suddenly introducing new and advanced language concepts without using a gradual introduction. I took the time to fill in where the book was lacking, but my child and I found the inconsistency wearing. In addition, considering that I paid more for this workbook than any of the others I ordered, I do not recommend it.

This book is organized by day of the week (M-F) for each lesson. The lessons progress nicely at a very good pace, just a bit ahead of my daughter's 1st grade curriculum. It serves as both a review and daily practice for her. The lessons are also self-explanatory so my daughter can do the lesson all by herself and have me check it. At the end of each lesson is a progress table to show how many (problems) the child has done correctly. Overall a very well organized and fun book. I highly recommend it.

If your kids are naturally strong in language skills, this is probably a great review for them. My kids are not. They love math and science, but language... no. I started them out with these Daily Language Review books, and that was a mistake. These books don't actually teach any one skill. Each day has a few different activities: spelling, punctuation, grammar, whatever, with just a few questions of each. So for a kid who has strong language skills, this would be great, not too much boring repetition. My kids, however, need each skill thoroughly outlined and instructed and practiced. This book was frustrating and mind-boggling to them.

I purchased this for my classroom as we don't use an English curriculum I thought this would be a good substitute. It IS! The students really learned a lot and it gave them great grammar practice. Highly recommend it, whether as a supplement or as an English curriculum for younger grades.

I had purchased this same resource book for Grade 2 and loved it. I needed something for students a bit less advanced and purchased Daily Language Review for Grade 1. It's perfect for my students! It provides great skill practice and reinforcement and has a wonderful layout. I would definitely recommend this book to other teachers! - Evan-moor - Language Experience Approach - Grammar - First Grade'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information