Saturday 30 July 2011

Rotary Cutters - rotary blade, sewing


I had the opportunity to try the Olfa and the Fiskar rotary cutters from a friend who had both. After trying them for about 15 minutes, I decided I preferred the Fiskar cutter. The Olfa was okay and worked well, but the Fiskar cutter felt better ergonomically. The Fiskar handle was curved, sturdier with a better grip. I don't care for the straight cutters. Another friend also preferred the Fiskar cutter. We all decided Fiskar cutter was the best ergonomically, but will probably buy the Olfa blades. I hope this helps for those who may be on the border between the two. I rate it 4 stars because the blade is better on the Olfa. Fiskars 95217097 45 mm Rotary Cutter

I bought this cutter for use in bookbinding and papermaking projects. It cuts paper, even up to 240 gsm quickly and precisely. Using this cutter, a large framing square, and a sheet of plywood gives nearly the same results as a regular paper cutter, but provides more flexibility. I cannot comment on the durability of the blade, but if it is like other Fiskar products, I am sure I will be pleased.

I've always been a fan of any product of Fiskar whether it's the sharp gardening tools or this Rotary Cutter which I just purchased yesterday to help me make a straight cut on wrapping paper. OMG it sliced through the paper like a hot knife through butter and made the perfect straight line cut. I'm thinking of getting one for my Mom and Sister to share when they do their gift wrapping and I'm sure my Sister could use it most for her Scrapbooking too. This is a really awesome tool to have no just for scrapbookers, gift wrappers, or Fabric Crafters but just overall a excellent cutter. I'd recommend it to everyone who wants sharp precision cutters. :D

A good, cheap rotary cutter, has a very sharp edge and the blades are cheap to replace, but i have a few problems with it.



1.The blade comes loose a lot and you need to re tighten it with a little nob on the back.



2.If you push down hard enough on the blade, it retracts.



3.It feels cheap, entirely plastic and the mechanism that pushes and retracts the blade feels like i could break at any time.

I used to have a rotary cutter that had a guard that was spring-loaded so the blade only came out when I pressed down to cut. That way I could slide the cutter sideways up to the ruler edge and cut. The blade on this one is always exposed and I have to carefully position it. It takes more time and I nick it on the ruler edge frequently. It has a comfortable handle, but that doesn't outweigh the drawbacks for me. - Quilts - Tools - Rotary Blade - Sewing'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • tools
  • ,
  • quilts
  • ,
  • rotary blade
  • ,
  • sewing