Thursday 28 July 2011

Multimedia Cables - ipod, firewire 800 to 400 adapter


I bought this product because my notebook has only two USB ports and one 4-pin Firewire port. I wanted to charge my iPod without using a USB port and only have a 6-pin Firwire to iPod cable.



The good news is that I can play my music just fine. For data transfer purposes, this product performs just as I expected!



However, do not purchase this product for the purpose of powering a device. The 4-pin port (at least on my computer) does not provide power, only data. EDIT: I have since learned that this (no power) is part of the four-wire mini Firewire port specification. Since this is no fault of the adaptor, I still rate it at five stars. Cables To Go - 27028 - Firewire 6-Pin Female 4-Pin Male Adapter

This adapter works as promised. It isn't quite as snug as I would like it to be and it has lost connection during a video transfer, but as long as there is no weight pulling on it, it works perfectly.

I had an old Panasonic PVD-DV51 camcorder and wanted to transfer the images on the tape to computer files and eventually burn them to DVD. Of course I thought it wouldn't work, but low and behold I attached the adapter to my Firewire cable and plugged it into my Windows VISTA computer (because it had the 4 pin input slot) and BOOM the Windows application opened on it's own so I could capture video from the camera.



Worked like a charm for my application and for a few bucks it was a lot cheaper than buying a separate piece of hardware to do the job, or taking my old tapes to a video store for conversion. Hope it works for you too.Cables To Go - 27028 - Firewire 6-Pin Female 4-Pin Male Adapter

Very simple product and quality is fine. Using this as a cheaper alternative for connecting a new computer to an existing device and wire (cheaper that getting a 4/6-pin cable. Regarding some other comments on no power: No, 4-pin firewire connections do not provide power, that's what a 6-pin firewire connections do. - Firewire 800 To 400 Adapter - Ipod - Computer Cables - 1394'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information