Sunday 31 July 2011

Natural Baby Wipes - alcohol free, unscented


I used to buy Kirkland Signature (Costco) wipes and Huggies wipes. However, upon research from EWG's website, I decided to try the more natural and less toxic brands. So I bought Earth's Best, Seventh Generation, and Tushies, just to compare.



Size: Earth's Best is slightly larger than Seventh Generation and Tushies. If you like generous sizes, Earth's Best is the winner.



Thickness: Earth's Best is similar to Seventh Generation. Tushies is the thinnest. But none of the three brands is as thick as Huggies.



Texture: Tushies is subtly printed with ducks and stars. These prints increase friction so it is easier to remove dried poop that sticks to baby's bottom. Seventh Generation and Earth' Best do not have prints on them. They feel smoother on the skin. But on the other hand, they do not remove dried poop as effectively due to the lack of friction. More friction can be good or bad, depending on your perspective. One user commented that Tushies felt like sand paper. It was exaggerated. But Tushies does feel rougher on the skin. Between Seventh Generation and Earth' Best, Seventh Generation has more of a fabric feeling, while Earth' Best feels smoother.



Water Retention: inside the plastic bags that come with the wipes, Tushies wipes feel very moist. However, once I transported the wipes to the wipe warmer, they become dry. Their thin texture does not help the wipes to absorb/maintain water. Seventh Generation and Earth' Best are better at retaining moisture.



Breakability: it is very annoying to have wipes broken into pieces when you pull them out of the wipe warmer. Huggies and Tushies both break. Seventh Generation, Earth' Best, and Kirkland never do.



Overall, none of baby wipes I tried are perfect. They all have pros and cons. However, if I am going to choose one, I will go with Earth's Best for its size, texture, moistness and the fact that it does not break easily.

We have found this to be the best wipe around. Made in the USA! Generous and "Cloth like". They get the job done with less waste; On an outing, I can do a quick wipe of our 3 kiddos face and hands (with 1wipe) without it shredding, falling apart or particles left everywhere! You can really feel the Glycerin, so they are soft and very moist. I find the resealable tape works great... I have not had a package dry out, therefore I don't even use the refill tub any longer.



The package boasts:

*Chlorine free

*Unscented

*Hypoallergenic

*With Aloe Vera and Vitamin E

*Natural lotion



The ingredient panel:

Purified water=skin cleanser

Veggie derived glycerin=moisturizer, skin friendly humectant

Alkyl Poly glycoside=combased surfactant

Aloe Vera=heals, softens and smoothes

Citric acid=keeps PH level down

Vitamin E=Antioxidant or protective agent

Sodium Hydroxymethyl glycinate=broad spectrum antimicrobial

(like amino acid it keeps yeast and mold bateria at bay)



I do not read anywhere what they are made from nor that they are biodegradable, I am unsure why.



[...]



All this being said, in our household they have become a favorite, not just for happy bums!!



FYI-I also highly recommend their diapers.



Earth's Best TenderCare Chlorine Free Baby Wipes Refills, 80-Count Packages (Case of 12)(960 Wipes)

Earth's Best TenderCare Chlorine Free Diapers, Size 4, 33-37 Lbs. (Case of 120)

They are thick and fabric-like, which makes them very good for cleaning. I also like the less toxic ingredients and haven't had any problems with rashes or anything. However, I highly doubt they are particularly biodegradable, which bothers me since I use cloth diapers and in general try to use environmentally friendly products. I have accidently put them in the washing machine before with the diapers and the wipe was still fully intact after a wash and dry cycle. Also, they are VERY wet and sudsy - works ok for older babies or big messes, but when my baby was a newborn I always found myself having to grab a towel or something to dry her bottom after using the wipes so she wouldn't have a wet "soapy" bottom. One other comment - their wipe tub SUCKS! We have several of them, and the lids NEVER stay shut, they frequently dispense multiple wipes at a time or the wipes fall in and it's hard to grab them back out without removing the whole lid. You'd be better off just dispensing them from the refill pack directly, or using another brand's more useful tub.

I was using the Seventh generation wipes but thought I tried these. My daughter never had a problem with rashes when using the seventh generation but since the switch she gets rashes all the time. The wipes were foamy and a little too moist for my taste. I had to ring out the extra liquid before using them so it wouldn't leave my baby's bum too moist to avoid getting a rash. When I would use the wipes to wipe my hands it would leave a foam on it. Another disappointment is that the wipes would stick together sometimes. I couldn't use one hand, I had to use two hands to pull them apart. I'm bummed because I bought a whole case. I might switch back to seventh generation but they've decrease the amount of wipes but didn't decrease the price:( Any suggestions on any other wipes to try???? - Alcohol Free - Natural Baby Wipes - Chlorine Free - Unscented'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information